The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 16, 2008, 06:41 PM   #1
RedTape

Cimarron Arms?

I'm thinking about getting into CAS and was wondering are Cimarron Arms revolvers are as durable as Ruger New Vaqueros? I like the look and feel of the Cimarrons, but some people have told me they won't last as long as the Rugers.

Any truth to that?

Thanks.
Old March 16, 2008, 07:55 PM   #2
Jim Watson

Cimarrons are fairly close copies of Colt SAA made in Italy by Uberti.
They will shoot standard and light Cowboy loads for a long time, but I would not call them as durable as a Ruger, and not nearly as strong for magnumized loads. I would (DO!) consider their Colt clone handling to be worth their lack of beef. Rugers, even the "New Vaquero" are just bigger, heavier guns. I will not be shooting any "+P" loads either way.
Old March 16, 2008, 08:28 PM   #3
Hawg

If you want authenticity go with Cimarron. If you want something that outwardly resembles a sa Colt but has a smoother action go with a Ruger New Vaquero. If you want something that remotely resembles a sa Colt but will handle heavy loads and magnums get a Ruger Old Vaquero
Old March 16, 2008, 08:56 PM   #4
mykeal

Either gun will last until your great grandchildren use it if you take care of it, especially using cowboy action loads. Rugers are tougher guns, but a Cimarron/Uberti should last a very long time unless it's abused.
Old March 16, 2008, 11:50 PM   #5
CraigC

Good advice so far.

Much has been made of the fragility of the Colt design and its springs in particular. A mountain has been made out of a molehill. Much of it due to Ruger marketing. Fact is that folks who have done a whole hell of a lot more shooting than I ever have report very few failures with the old lockwork. Usually it's the trigger/bolt spring that is easily replaced with careful application of a screwdriver and about fifteen minutes. I like to put the Heinie music wire spring in all my guns anyway.
Old March 17, 2008, 04:37 AM   #6
Raider2000

Now I do not have a Uberti "or Cimarron arms" but I do have a 2nd gen Colt in 44-40 & I know I've probably put maybe 2-3000 rounds through it & have only had to replace the hand due to a broken spring in that time, now with regards to parts breakage or wear even my C&B revolvers like my 1860 Army & my older 1858 New Army "both by Pietta" which has about 6-7000 rounds through em "combined" have had a hand replacement "60," a trigger/bolt spring "58," & a main spring "60" replaced in that 25 years I've had them, not bad conciddering the design of the pieces compared to a Ruger.

I guess it depends on how you use & take care of your pieces will determine their reliability through time but out side of the fact that a stock Colt design can not handle the Magnum loads that the Rugers can, they are still plenty strong enough & reliable enough to handle standard loads on a normal basis for many years.
Old March 17, 2008, 07:59 AM   #7
Hawg

I've got a Cimmaron 44-40, a Uberti Cattleman 44-40, a Pietta 58 Remington made in 2000, a Rigarmi 58 Remington that I've had since 1969, and a Pietta 1860 Colt made in 2007. I got the Cimarron used. It had a spring kit put in it before I got it. The Rigarmi has had the hand replaced once since 1969. The rest have had nothing done to them.
Old March 17, 2008, 08:06 AM   #8
sundance44s

I`ve got one of the Uberti 1873 clones ,,,never a problem with it ..I like it better than some of the other clone 1873 `s because the Uberti grip size fits my big paws better than most .
Old March 17, 2008, 09:22 AM   #9
RedTape

Thanks for the info guys. I'll look around and see what kind of deals I can find. I really liked the look of the Cimarron New Sheriff's model with the 3 1/2" barrel.
Old March 17, 2008, 04:38 PM   #10
scrat

I tell you what Cimmaron has some very good looking guns. They take some real pride on making them look like the original guns
Old March 17, 2008, 07:18 PM   #11
Hawg

Cimarron doesn't make them Uberti does. Cimarron does the final finish.
Old March 17, 2008, 07:24 PM   #12
scrat

True thats why i stated they take pride in making them look lik the original guns. Sorta like when CVA sold revolvers. That were made by ASM. They are Italian made guns. However some are put together here in the U.S. Colt did the same thing. Italy made the parts. Colt put them together. So the fit, performance and finish was Colt. Uberti makes a good product. Cimmaron did an excellent job refining the finish on some of the guns.