The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 20, 2001, 12:46 AM   #1
MeekAndMild

Corned Venison

I got this recipe from the Virginia Cooperative Extension Service:
Quote:
Use boned shoulders and cut into 3- to 4-pound pieces. Place the meat in a stone crock. Dissolve 1-1/2 pounds of salt, 1/2 pound of cane or brown sugar, 1 ounce of cream of tartar, 1 ounce of baking soda, and 1 ounce of pickling spice in 1 gallon of hot water. Allow the brine to cool before pouring it over the meat. Make enough pickle to cover the meat and weight it down with a clean polyethylene cutting board and a rock. Cure for several weeks.
It was modified by cutting the venison into 1 pound pieces, adding a little garlic powder and a little bit of paprika.

We pickled it in the refrigerator for 5 weeks then cooked it as you would corned beef. The pickling spice we used was a little heavy on the cloves, so I'd recommend picking some of them out, also chopping up some more garlic and onion and using a little cayenne and more paprika and some more peppercorns.

Really good, except thet, being natural instead of nitrite cured, it didn't have that Funeral Parlor Pink color of corned beef.
In a few years when the dust finally clears and people start counting their change there is a pretty good chance that President Obama may become known as The Great Absquatulator. You heard it first here on TFL.
Old December 20, 2001, 09:14 AM   #2
deanf

Quote:
1 ounce of pickling spice
Ok. Just what the heck is pickling spice? I've looked all over for it for other needs - can't find any.
Old December 20, 2001, 04:45 PM   #3
MeekAndMild

The brand we used was Astor brand in a 4 ounce plastic shaker jar. It is made by Astor Products, Jacksonville FL 32203 and is available at Winn Dixie stores. It contains "cinnamon, mustard seeds, dill seeds, cloves, black pepper, ginger, allspice, bay leaves and chilies."

IMHO it has too much cloves and needs more peppers and also garlic and onions. Would benefit from a little more dill too. I am wondering about a little mustard too, as we add mustard when we prepared it as hash with potaoes.

My children find Cajun seasoning more to their liking and complained about lack of heat and too much clove. But then it would be 'Cajun Venison'
In a few years when the dust finally clears and people start counting their change there is a pretty good chance that President Obama may become known as The Great Absquatulator. You heard it first here on TFL.