The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 24, 2013, 10:59 AM   #1
gargus

Need a self defense 12gauge that is reliable and dependable.

So Im in the market for a 12 gauge. I want something I can go shoot for fun on occasion but I also want it primarily for defense. So I guess I want a tactical type of shotgun.

What brand/models are a good place to start looking at?

I like pump action. I want something I can put more than 4 shells in. And Im not fond of I guess you would call it "full sized" in that I don't want one with a long barrel that drags on the ground if I hold it at my side.

Shotguns were never my strong suit so I don't know who makes the best what.
Old June 24, 2013, 11:02 AM   #2
Spats McGee
Staff

Remington 870 would be my first choice, but a Mossberg 500 would also be a solid selection. I'm sure that there are others that will suit your needs, but those are just the first two that come to mind for me.

Welcome to TFL!
Old June 24, 2013, 11:42 AM   #3
RedBowTies88

Winchester 12/1300 is my pump of choice. Mine wears an ATI collapsible stock and a 5 shot mag extension. (it's a long gun though with a 26" barrel and 10+1 capacity with 2-3/4 shells)

Smoothest pump I've ever fired. And it loves to feed the 1-3/4 minishells that I use for HD. (14+1 capacity!)

After my Winchester my next choice would result in a toss up between an Ithica model 37 and an 870.

Lower down the list and still deserving a honorable mention is the Mossberg 500. They don't have as nice of an action IMHO as far as the way it feels.. and the safety location is annoying... they are reliable though.
Old June 24, 2013, 11:58 AM   #4
Uncle Malice

I own and like both Mossberg 500/590 series as well as the Remington 870 series. In order of personal preference, I like the Mossberg 590 the best, followed by the 870, followed by the 500.

They are all good guns and I own all 3 styles. I prefer the controls on the Mossberg over the Remington, but I would recommend checking them out at the store and see what feels better to you.

You can get either a 590 or 870 for less than $500.

Mossberg 590 Special Purpose (9 round capacity) - $388.99
http://www.kygunco.com/mossberg-590-...hot-blue-25920

Remington 870 Tactical (8 round capacity) - $479.99
http://www.vanceoutdoors.com/product...ctical-18.5bbl

That particular 870 model has ghost ring sights, which are not necessary, but I do like. The Mossberg 590 Special Purpose has a head shield to prevent you from burning your hand. This is not necessary in a defensive situation, but if you go out to the range or something and let off a bunch of rounds fairly quickly, that barrel will heat up quite a bit. Some people just like it because it looks cool.

You won't go wrong with either brand, that's for sure. Both companies have great customer service as well.
Old June 24, 2013, 12:17 PM   #5
Garycw

The mossberg 500 or even the maverick 88 are both good, inexpensive and 8 rounds
Old June 24, 2013, 01:43 PM   #6
Waspinator

What is your budget? Price can change a lot of things, because there are nice shot guns in different price ranges. But a Mossberg 500/590 or Remington 870 is a safe bet at relitivly low price points.

Anyway, Some points to consider.

If you are going to have a regular type stock (no pistol grip), then I find the Mossberg 500/590 safety location , located on top of the reciever and activated with your thumb, to be the perfect location. As you do not have to adjust your grip to manipulate the safety.

If you are looking to put an AR type stock (with pistol grip), I find the Remington 870 safety location, located at the trigger gaurd, to be the perfect location. As you do not have to adjust your grip to manipulate the safety.

Personally, I like the Mossberg slide release that is located to the rear of the trigger gaurd. To me, it feels more natural and easier to manipulate by extending my middle finger out a bit. The Remington is located in front of the trigger gaurd and feel weird to me. There again, something you have to try for yourself.

One more thing to consider. I know some people like the 8-round magazine tubes... But, I find there are more barrel options to be had that mount to the shorter magazine tubes (5-round), for less money, as apposed to the longer tubes. So something to consider if you are thinking of buying extra barrels (for hunting , clays and such).

I went with a Mossberg 500, 5-round tube for my defense weapon and I'm happy with it.
Old June 24, 2013, 02:16 PM   #7
gargus

I was hoping to stay in the 200 minimum and 400 maximum range.

I don't need anything super fancy or whatnot. I just want a durable and reliable shotgun that I can depend on.

I was looking to get some names and such to keep an eye out for. Once I have the money Im going to keep my eye out at gun shows since Id rather buy from someone person to person instead of a dealer.
Old June 24, 2013, 02:27 PM   #8
Spats McGee
Staff

Don't overlook the possibility of buying something used. Pawn shops, classified ads, etc. You might be able to score a good deal that way.
Old June 24, 2013, 03:22 PM   #9
Noreaster

Go with the Maverick 88 with 18.5 inch bead sight. Just over $200.00.
Old June 25, 2013, 10:47 AM   #10
Dreaming100Straight

If you only plan on shooting it occasionally and only want the gun for self defense, you may want to reconsider getting a pump. Unless you practice with a pump, a modern semi may be more reliable since a pump can be short shucked by a less than well practiced shooter under high stress.

This can mean much more if you want other members of your household to be able to use the weapon. Another consideration is felt recoil. A semi, and especially a gas operated semi, will have less than a pump.

Magazine capacity is, imo, one of the less important considerations in choosing a self defense gun. Four shells should be plenty and the extra weight of longer magazine may not be what you want.

I am not a Mossberg fan, but if a gun is primarily for security and was to be used by shooters with minimal practice time, I would look at a Mossberg home security 5 shot. If the user is going to practice, a pump is an option. If you go pump I prefer a Remington, but that is what I have, and many are happy with a Mossberg.

Remember, if it is for security you don't want to cheap out. You don't need the very best but get something decent.
Old June 25, 2013, 11:45 AM   #11
shortwave

Quote:
If you only plan on shooting it occasionally and only want the gun for self defense, you may want to reconsider getting a pump. Unless you practice with a pump, a modern semi may be more reliable since a pump can be short shucked by a less than well practiced shooter under high stress.
Excellent point D100S

Maybe a good used Rem. 1100 with a short bbl. could be an option???

Whichever you choose(pump or auto), put plenty of your own wear marks on it. Your life just may depend on it.

Welcome to TFL.
Old June 25, 2013, 11:53 AM   #12
vba

I agree with Uncle Malice the 870 in the link has been a great shotgun for me. I just tossed the breacher choke and put on a Remington IC choke. I like the ghost rings for slugs and they work well with buck shot as well.

You may, as others suggested, look into used shotguns. Plenty out there, try to find a Remington (perhaps a Wingmaster), Ithaca 37 or Mossberg 500.
Old June 26, 2013, 01:07 AM   #13
Dreaming100Straight

One other thing to keep in mind is barrels. Check out the availability and variety of new and used barrels for whatever you think of getting. Almost as soon as I took mine to a trap range I knew I wanted a long barrel with changeable chokes for shooting clays, while my 870 wears the security barrel while on home guard.
Old June 26, 2013, 04:28 AM   #14
drcook

If you purchase a Mossberg 500, the very first thing I would do (considering this is for a HD/PD purpose) is take to a gunsmith (or if you are handy yourself) and make sure that the screw that holds the safety on is loctited (blue ie: guntite in the stores) in place.

That screw is the weak point in the Mossberg. (in my opinion and to add my 2 cents worth into the post)

I have fixed 2 of them myself.

One that I used to own and one that my former blacksmith/farrier owned. There is a little ball bearing and spring under the safety button. The ball bearing engages in machined "dimples" to cause the safety to stay in the desired position.

That screw will (on occasion, the most inopportune moment) loosen up and allow the safety to engage, flop around etc. For me, the moment I discovered it loosened up was when a deer was standing in front of me and the safety quit working correctly and I had to fuss with the gun to make it go bang.

Unfortunately, the bottom of the safety mechanism needs accessed from the bottom of the receiver, so it is not just a simple matter of unscrewing it and putting on loctite and reinstalling it.

The blacksmith's gun also had the ejector screw come loose and when he cycled the gun, that part grabbed and got bent, rendering the gun out of business.

Other than that, it was a solid, dependable shotgun.

I suppose my point to everyone is, if you are going to bet your life on a piece of machinery, take the time to make sure it will function when it needs to by a little preventive maintenance,

even if it is brand new..............

so ask for known issues such as this that can be corrected very easily.
Old June 26, 2013, 06:52 AM   #15
kutz

Mossy M590A1
Old June 26, 2013, 02:34 PM   #16
dgludwig

The Benelli Nova is a good alternative. Reliable and well-made for the price.
Old June 27, 2013, 10:59 AM   #17
TB9

i have both mossberg 500a and remington 11-87 in 12ga. both with 28 "& 21" rifle sight smooth bore and in the case of the rem. a rem.choke brll. but for a dedicated hd gun i have h&r pump protector with a light on it and a specter gear butt stock shell holder that velcro's on & off if i ever need it . i like the H&R pardner pump protector i got mine from dick's for well under 2 hundred bucks and have had a whole lot of fun shootin the snot out of it to see whats what . so far she's GTG
Old June 28, 2013, 05:12 PM   #18
theblakester

Mossberg 500 makes a 7+1 with a 20 inch barrel for a little over $300. A Remington 870 is going to be more expensive. Both are very reliable and durable. The main reason I now lean towards the Mossberg over the Remington, is because Remington made an $80 million dollar deal with NYPD a couple months back, shortly after they passed their highly restrictive gun laws. Meanwhile other firearms manufacturers, like Mossberg boycotted government and police contracts on principle to support of the 2nd amendment and the civilian firearms market.
Old June 28, 2013, 06:01 PM   #19
Garycw

The mossberg combo is a good choice being that it comes with a reg stock and a pistol grip. Also has a 18" barrel and a 24" barrel with three accu chokes. Can quickly be configured several different ways for home defense or hunting
Old June 29, 2013, 06:16 AM   #20
TheNev

My Mossberg 500 serves doube duty for me. At home, it has a 18.5" barrel and is loaded with 6 rounds of 00 buck.

When hunting or shooting skeet or trap, it has a 28" barrel with screw in chokes. Swapping out barrels takes 20 seconds max.
Old June 29, 2013, 07:48 AM   #21
WV_gunner

You can get a used higher quality Mossberg 500 for under $200 easily used. I've seen Winchester pumps for $300 used.
Old June 29, 2013, 08:50 AM   #22
jackpine

Rem 870 with one rifle sites/smoothbore barrel and one 26" or 28" barrel. Short barrel with buckshot for HD and bird barrel for "fun"
Old June 29, 2013, 09:01 AM   #23
LockedBreech

As mentioned by most others, the Mossberg 500/590 and the Remington 870 are the two big players.

I prefer the 870. Both are good.
Old June 29, 2013, 03:26 PM   #24
Sheikyourbootie

Used market can get you some EXCELLENT deals. Here is a used 1975 vintage Ithaca 37 for a bit over 200 bucks.

Old June 29, 2013, 11:12 PM   #25
Doug S

I'm just a novice, but I've owned a couple of Mossberg 500', and a Maverick 88. Good shotguns that would meet your criteria, IMO. I do think the 6 shot models are a little more handy than the 8 shot models.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." Col. Jeff Cooper, from The Art of the Rifle