The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Closed Thread

Old June 29, 2013, 07:43 PM   #51
horselips

I am thoroughly unimpressed with contemporary S&W 686+ revolvers - I owned one and sold it. Awful double action trigger, clunky feeling lockwork, not nearly as accurate as my older Model 19. I'd go with the GP100 by default. Only I'd buy an older one -with those beautiful wood-inlay rubber grips. The new models with those hideous Hogue grips are just too ugly to even contemplate.

Is it just me or are any of you folks finding that almost nothing new is made as well as almost anything old?
Old June 29, 2013, 07:54 PM   #52
Sevens

Quote:
Is it just me or are any of you folks finding that almost nothing new is made as well as almost anything old?
Actually, I think this is like lamenting all the traffic lights that seem to constantly stop your commuting progress. When you hit yet another red light, it seems as if every trip you ever take is a series of red lights. But that's because you aren't making "special note" of all the green lights.

It would be fun to make a thread where we list all the things that may be better than they were in the past. Gun-wise, I mean, on topic.
Old June 30, 2013, 09:01 AM   #53
RsqVet

I own multiples of both. All the 686's are pre lock / mim and all the rugers have had the triggers worked over. Few older smiths "need" trigger work for me, all new ones I have examined do. More recent rugers seem better but still smooth out with a quick action job.

Either is a great gun, for new I would go ruger, for used whatever you get a good deal on, if you get a 686-5 or earlier it will be no lock, -4 will be no lock / no mim. Bought right you will not loose money on a -4. Used ruger gp100 will run about 100 bucks cheaper or more than the 686.

On the sunject of nothing new is good, I disagree strongly. New smiths to most anyone's critical evaluation are a bit less good than the old guns even the few they make without locks. To me less good means they need a trigger job, to others it might be something else. There are a host of guns that are better! The new gp100 for one, the new mini 14. New colt 1911's are better than what I first knew to be colt in the late 90's, they now offet s70 guns too! The overall accuracy of off the shelf bolt action rifles is much better now than 20-30 years prior even if tje guns are less attractive on average.

So there are lots of good new guns. Then there is also the ruger mk III! And a few others...

Last edited by RsqVet; June 30, 2013 at 09:13 AM.
Old June 30, 2013, 11:12 AM   #54
pittspilot

I have the Smith collectors bug, so I have a bunch. I have also looked at a bunch. Both new and old. My sense is that the new guns are much more consistent gun to gun then the old ones. However, the best new ones do not measure up to the best old ones. For instance, I have a 27-1 which has fit and finish and a trigger that blows away new guns.

Winston S. Churchill

"The American Republic is finished when the Congress realizes that it can bribe the people with the peoples money"

De Touqueville
Old June 30, 2013, 11:45 AM   #55
dgludwig

Quote:
Then there is also the ruger mk III!
I might agree with your opinion that some newer guns are superior in some ways with their equivalent older models but certainly not the MKIII (assuming you weren't being sarcastic). Talk about a pistol straining mightily to provide "solutions" to non-existing "problems"! Even if new, I would pay more for a MKI or MKII rendition of Ruger's fine .22 auto pistol over the "new and improved" MKIII. Just my admittedly subjective opinion.
Old June 30, 2013, 05:03 PM   #56
FairWarning

The older someone gets, the better they were/things were. There is some truth to this, and there is also truth to ups and downs in manufacturing quality of various things that we use in life.

The more modern 686s, which seem to be hated here, are extremely high quality revolvers. Some on this site have essentially called them junk or substandard, which is utter nonsense and a demonstration of predetermined bias. This kind of bias can definitely affect resale, which is important, and intraweb arguments or magazine articles, which are less important.

There is no bigger "screw in a lightbulb" issue than guns/ammo (How many gun nuts does it take to determine which is the best? All of them).
Old July 2, 2013, 08:37 PM   #57
wolfrun

I own a 686+. Absolutly love it. Had the trigger honed-pull at bout 4.25lbs in DA. 6 inch barrel and 2 power scope. I deer hunt with it.
Old July 2, 2013, 10:56 PM   #58
Sweet Shooter

Quote:
wolfrun
I own a 686+. Absolutly love it. Had the trigger honed-pull at bout 4.25lbs in DA. 6 inch barrel and 2 power scope. I deer hunt with it.
June 30, 2013 04:03 PM
Please post a photo of it. I have the same 686 and was thinking about a scope for my tag this year.
-SS-
Old July 3, 2013, 08:50 PM   #59
Blue1

I have never shot a 6-round 686, but my Plus doesn't have a "dead-spot" in the double-action trigger.

I installed a lighter trigger and hammer spring and the gun is now amazing. Checked with all my different rounds to make sure it had no light strike misfires; everything worked perfect.

Also, a seven round has move leverage over rotating the cylinder (only has to rotate it 51 degrees, rather than 60 degrees) so theoretically the plus should have a lighter double action trigger.

Blue
Old July 3, 2013, 08:55 PM   #60
Crankgrinder

Id say there is some truth that statement about the age of things/people. I say also ive worked in the engineering of things for quite a while and i am but 30 years old and it is almost a fact to me that material use has been stretched a bit thin from time to time in order to cut cost and produce more. Some things have gotten much better, the things that got canned because it was no good are mostly forgotten. Old guns were made with a more hands on aproach than the new ones and the differences in these are real to me. Some good some bad.
Old July 6, 2013, 06:18 AM   #61
armsmaster270

I have a 6" no dash 586 and will stick with it over Ruger

Old July 6, 2013, 08:31 AM   #62
GP100man

I`ve shot probably more than my share of DA 357 revolvers & while Rugers can be had with QC issues they give me less maintence/mechanicl problems than anything I`ve shot.

If there could be 1 thing I could change on Rugers DA platforms is I`d shorten the trigger stroke , while it can be massaged into a buttery smooth pull/crisp as glass breaking SA it`s still fairly long.
Old October 6, 2013, 08:22 PM   #63
magnum777

I think both guns are great, but I would give the edge to the GP 100, I like the cylinder release on the Ruger better. I think the Ruger is also built tougher.
Old October 6, 2013, 10:20 PM   #64
BIG P

Got them both I'll stick with the Ruger.Just My choice thats all nothing wrong with S&W
Old October 7, 2013, 09:20 AM   #65
amd6547

I bought a 2013-vintage GP100 3" about two months ago.
The trigger, with no work, is better than the well used older Smith's I own...great, smooth DA, and crisp SA.
I used to own a 686-1. It had a four inch barrel, and I shot it well enough, but it suffered in comparison to my Model 15 Combat Masterpiece. I ended up selling it after a couple range visits, it just never wowed me.
This GP, on the other hand, just amazes me. It is very accurate, and the fixed sights shoot to POA.
The Hogue grips supplied by Ruger are big and ugly, but I found they performed well for shooting.
As soon as I found some for a reasonable price on eBay, I replaced them with compact Lett grips, the OEM Ruger grip for the 3" GP. They make the GP much more compact, and shoot great.
My 2013 GP, at least, is a keeper.
Old October 7, 2013, 09:42 AM   #66
KMAX

Quote:
But one is drop dead sexy, the other utilitarian.
Which one is which? Looks are a matter of opinion. I went with the blued GP100 with a 6" barrel. It handles full power .357 like my 4" model 65 handles 38Sp+P, which to say little recoil. 38Sp recoil is barely noticeable. I like to shoot at 50 yard targets, so the 6" barrel makes that a little easier. I did not plan on conceal carrying this gun so the extra length and weight are not an issue. If I did carry this gun it would be in a pack of some sort or maybe a chest or shoulder rig. I don't go out in the woods much and don't foresee this changing anytime soon. This is mostly a range gun. So far I am happy with it.

I'm not old. I'm CLASSIC!
Old October 7, 2013, 09:58 AM   #67
Sweet Shooter

@KMAX

I have the 686+ seven shot 6 inch and I conceal it easily IWB no holster. Just have to be carful getting in and out of the car else you'll bust a nut. They are very safe guns to carry like this as long as you're not a clumsy guy. I also carry it holstered on hikes and hunt with it.
-SS-
Old October 10, 2013, 08:23 AM   #68
Rogervzv

I have a 6" Ruger GP100 and the 4" S&W 686+ ... both are great guns and you are not going to go wrong with either. Personally I would give the slightest of edges to the Ruger for the following reasons:

1. The Ruger is built just as well and is about $100 cheaper.
2. The Ruger trigger is actually better on DA although I'll give the edge to the Smith on SA.
3. The Ruger allows the user to easily swap out the front sight.
4. Ruger just seems to have gotten everything exactly right with current production GP100s. These are beautiful guns. When my wife wanted her own handgun, we chose the GP100 6" for her as well.

The 686+ is a fabulous revolver. Nothing above is meant in any way to criticize the Smith. Smith triggers tend to mellow with use and my 686+ is doing that.

I would go with the Stainless over Blued, but that is such an individual choice that no right or wrong decision can be made. Blued shore is purty. The Stainless is easier to restore to "gunstore cleanliness" since you can see any carbon residue.
Old October 10, 2013, 11:31 AM   #69
pilpens

I have shot 2 GP 100s recently and they felt good a --- 4" and 6". DA pull was smooth.

All my centerfire revolvers are S&W pre-lock but would not hesitate to get a Ruger GP100 if I want another L-frame sized revolver.
Old October 10, 2013, 11:38 AM   #70
Hammerhead

I was able to compare a GP100 to a 686 SSR at my LGS last year. I went with the GP100 because it fit my hand a little better and the internal finishes were smoother (bore, chambers, crown, etc..)
Now it's been about a year and I'm very happy with my choice. I'm especially thrilled to be doing the best DA shooting of my life, mostly due to the fit of the gun in my hand I'm sure.
Old October 10, 2013, 12:31 PM   #71
Beretta686

Unless you're mounting a scope, I believe none of Ruger's Double Action Revolvers can compete with S&W. I have a 686 and a Super Redhawk .44 mag with a scope and I'm thrilled with both, but outside of hunting, I much prefer the S&W over the Ruger.

Ruger does own the market when it comes to Single Action revolvers but I've never been a fan of their DA .357s.

I know some will disagree, but I've just never seen the draw of Ruger GP100s, they're ugly and don't feel good in my hand especially compared with the beauty and grace of a 686.

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”
Old October 12, 2013, 07:11 PM   #72
Pointshoot

I've got a 686+ and its a fine revolver, mine is one of the pre-lock guns. I've got Ruger DA revolvers in 44 Special and in 45 Colt and they are excellent. Pick whatever one strikes your fancy and you won't be wrong with either one.
Old October 13, 2013, 11:50 AM   #73
KMAX

Quote:
I know some will disagree, but I've just never seen the draw of Ruger GP100s, they're ugly and don't feel good in my hand especially compared with the beauty and grace of a 686.
Stick the ugly rubber grips on the 686 and it is ugly also, IMO. Put nice looking wood grips on it and make it in blue and it is a sight to behold (wait, that's the 586 ) but I like the feel of the rubber grips when shooting full power 357. I think the GP100 looks "tougher". Don't ask me to define that.

Quote:
Pick whatever one strikes your fancy and you won't be wrong with either one.
Two other reasons I went with the GP100 is it was a couple hundred cheaper than any price I could find on a 686 in my somewhat limited search. And I actually found a GP100. Everywhere I asked they didn't know if or when they might get a Smith. I am happy with my GP100 so far.

I'm not old. I'm CLASSIC!

Last edited by KMAX; October 13, 2013 at 11:59 AM.
Old October 13, 2013, 12:35 PM   #74
Rogervzv

Someone called my beautiful GP100 UGLY? Oh the hurtfulness of it!

Old October 13, 2013, 01:34 PM   #75
amd6547

Yeah, I don't get the "ugly" thing. My 3" GP is a great looking gun, and the way it shoots is beautiful...
Closed Thread