The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 1, 2013, 11:22 PM   #1
Hardcase

Costco Safe

Currently, I have no safe for a lot of firearms. I have a closet, which is obviously no security at all. Costco has this safe on sale:

http://www.costco.com/.product.10001...8-_-cannonsafe

I realize that this is a game where you get what you pay for, so I'm not expecting a bank vault for 550 bucks. But clearly it's better than what I've got now. I'm not after something that will keep the pros out, not for that money. And I'm not terribly worried about fire protection. Primarily, I just want to be able to go off on a vacation and not worry that some tweaker will break into the house and see a cache of firearms and have a field day. Besides, I figure that the big screen TV and stereo will catch their eye first.

Now, if there's something better for within a few hundred dollars delivered to my driveway, I'm all for it. And tomorrow, I'm going to trundle down to the safe store and see what he's got in used safes. I'm open to suggestions.
Old February 2, 2013, 12:56 AM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

General Rule: Level of protection depends on the value of goods to be protected. With the panic, even ammo and magazines should be locked up today.
Old February 2, 2013, 01:43 AM   #3
Sphawley

I got a smoking deal on a 42 gun safe from Winchester at costco and I couldnt be happier!! It was a surplus from Winchester so they got to put a really deep markdown on them.

I put all my guns and accessories in the safe, I've got the room in there so why not put it all in there...room for now at least!
Old February 3, 2013, 01:08 PM   #4
TheBigO

Hey Hardcase-

I own this safe and for the money think it will do teh job just fine- Mine is a 48 gun model and I have had it about three years. I posted a video of it on you tube after I bought it-

Here is a link-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UhKAtAFBjw

If you have any need for any close up pictures or other questions let me know.
Old February 4, 2013, 04:35 PM   #5
Hardcase

Thanks BigO, great videos.
Old March 4, 2013, 08:27 PM   #6
Hardcase

Well, I dithered around for too long and Costco ran out of safes. But my local farm supply store had a 10% off sale over the weekend, so I bought a Bighorn 6030EL. Duane the Safe Mover is bringing it over tonight.

Even with Duane's delivery, it's only a couple of hundred dollars more than the Cannon and, I think, a better safe. Plus the company isn't too far down the road from me in Caldwell, Idaho (I know that the safe was made in China, but still, Rhino is close by).

It looked solid at the store...we'll see how it works out in the den.