The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 10, 2013, 11:59 PM   #1
timd

Glock magazine capacity

What is the internal difference between a 10 round magazine and a standard capacity magazine. Is capacity limited by the follower, or some insert like a plug in a shotgun? Or is it limited by some permanent difference in the mag body?
Old January 11, 2013, 02:37 PM   #2
bull bob

Something like that. The ones I have seen had a portion of the metal magazine dimpled in to prevent the follower from going any further. The spring wire was also stacked solid near the bottom. This was a S&W mag. Not sure how Glock does it, but probably similar. They have to make it difficult to "undo".
Old January 12, 2013, 12:26 AM   #3
Josh17

Are you asking if a Glock can hold higher cap mags? If so yes. There is nothing in a Glock that prevents larger magazines (as long as they are Glock) from working in them.

A Glock 26 can use its standard mag (10 rounds) or it can hold a Glock 19 mag (15 rounds) or it can hold a Glock 17 mag (17 rounds). Of course the mag will stick out the bottom a lot. It can even hold the 30 or 33 round mag.

If your question was something different sorry I mis-understood it then.
Old January 12, 2013, 02:44 AM   #4
JohnKSa
Staff

Different companies take different approaches to limiting magazine capacity.

The Glock factory limited-capacity magazines I've seen have a modified magazine body that prevents the follower from traveling down far enough to allow more than 10 rounds into the mag.

Last edited by JohnKSa; January 12, 2013 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Wrong.
Old January 12, 2013, 03:30 AM   #5
Slopemeno

The difference? About $25.00....
Old January 12, 2013, 06:30 AM   #6
m&p45acp10+1

The taller 10 round or less mags for restricted states are supposed to be made so that a person can not modify them to hold more rounds if my memory serves me correctly. I took apart a couple Baretta mags from the 94 AWB days. They were filled in so that one could not make them hold more by changing a couple of parts out. The AR mags I saw like that were solid in the bottom as well.

It may different now for all I know.
Old January 12, 2013, 09:59 AM   #7
P-990

The 10-rd Glock 17 magazines I have are a completely different body than the 17-rd versions. I've never gutted one but first suspicion is they use a thicker body and have a limited internal volume. They are definitely not the standard body with a block in place. The 10th round goes in hard, they seem to be designed so you can't gorilla #11 in there accidentally. And they are 'ell for stout; I'll keep using them for practicing reload drills over concrete and spare the "high caps" the abuse.

(Yes, I've had my Glock 17 since the AWB was in place. I also have 2 police-trade in "pre-ban" mags I think I paid $45-50ea 11-12 years ago. They've never given me a lick of trouble either.)
Old January 12, 2013, 01:16 PM   #8
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
They are definitely not the standard body with a block in place.
That is correct. They are basically single-stack magazines internally. I'm not sure what I was thinking when I posted earlier.