The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 9, 2012, 12:01 PM   #1
myshoulderissore

Savage 111 ejector removal.

Good morning! I have new pieces parts for my rifle, to replace the ejector. It is jammed back, about 2 mm behind the bolt face. I have gotten the retaining pin out, but the task of getting the apparently jammed ejector out has me scratching my head. Any ideas?
Old June 9, 2012, 01:51 PM   #2
hooligan1

Maybe a small ball-pean and some PIN penetrator liquid. Soak it in some kinda penetrator for awhile then smack the back of the bolthead while holding it in your hand..... I'd sure give it a try,,, pesky ejector. it has a small spring behind it so it will come out eventually.
Old June 9, 2012, 02:35 PM   #3
myshoulderissore

Not a bad idea... It's in a Hoppes bath right now, before dinner I'll be thwacking it. Thanks!
Old June 9, 2012, 03:34 PM   #4
PawPaw

What probably happened is that the spring collapsed. It's held "up" by the spring and retained by the pin. When the pin is out, it should come out of the bolt face, unless the spring has it bound in the hole.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old June 9, 2012, 03:39 PM   #5
myshoulderissore

I'm really hoping you're wrong, Dennis! I vote for crud jamming it back, that would be so much easier to deal with... I do think you're right, though.
Old June 9, 2012, 08:07 PM   #6
myshoulderissore

Quote:
What probably happened is that the spring collapsed. It's held "up" by the spring and retained by the pin. When the pin is out, it should come out of the bolt face, unless the spring has it bound in the hole.
So... Let's just say, theoretically, this is what has happened... What would one do to remove it?

I soaked it in Hoppes 9, tapped it with a hammer for a bit, had some spaghetti, sprayed it with Ballistol again, tapped it some more. Maybe compressed air in the retaining pin hole?
Old June 9, 2012, 10:05 PM   #7
NESHOOTER

When I changed one on a savage .204 had to pop out the roll retaining pin and then it came out now if your spring did bite the dust I would use the dental picks I picked up at a tool hardware store or the like and pull them out if that would fail disassemble the firing pin assy and push from the back side the hole if I remember correctly goes all the way through the boltface like the remy's .
Old June 10, 2012, 08:48 AM   #8
hooligan1

Hey dude if wacking it(while it's in your hand) doesn't work, box it up and send it to Savage, they will probably fix it for nothing they are excellent to work with,,,, give them a call on monday, that's the best idea.
Old June 10, 2012, 09:30 AM   #9
myshoulderissore

Another great idea from Hooligan! I think I'll try compressed air today, and call them tomorrow if that doesn't work.

Gotta love these forums!