The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 28, 2010, 03:27 PM   #1
Super-Dave

What is the best trigger job I can get on a glock?

I am not talking about sending it off to someone. I am just talking about buying parts and swaping them out.

I would like a 3.5 pund pull and a crisp trigger with no creep is this possible?

If so what do I need?

If a crisp trigger is not possible, What is the best products to use for the 3.5 connector?

George Orwell
Old May 28, 2010, 08:04 PM   #2
Desertscout1

You cannot get a "trigger job" by dropping in after-market parts. You can get it lighter but if you want the real deal, you will need much more than that. My G34 breaks at 2.75# and has a very short re-set and an over-travel stop. It's not a tuned 1911 but it has one hell of a trigger for a Glock. My other 13 Glocks have varying degrees of the same thing, depending on what I use them for. My carry gun smooth but about 4# and my main hunting gun (G20) very smooth, crisp and 3.5#. The others are somewhere in between.
Glocks are what you show your enemies.
Old May 28, 2010, 08:27 PM   #3
Super-Dave

Ok what do you recommend?

George Orwell
Old May 28, 2010, 08:37 PM   #4
schmeky

I'd like to know more about the ZEV TechZev Tech Deluxe Complete Drop In Trigger Kit for Glock?
Old May 28, 2010, 08:41 PM   #5
Desertscout1

Well, as I said above, if you want a "trigger job", you will either need to send your gun to someone or learn how to do it yourself. You may find it cheaper in the long run to send it to someone that does it professionally. The cost of shipping may be an issue for you. If it is, pick the closest person to you. If it's not, do some research and send it to whoever you think is best.
Trigger jobs vary greatly in price, some costing over $100. You can check our site for details of our work if you wish. Glocksmith
Glocks are what you show your enemies.
Old May 28, 2010, 09:21 PM   #6
wayneinFL

I put in a 3.5# factory Glock disconnector and a Wolff spring. It was cheap.

Then one day I stopped by the gun show and there was a local guy there who was doing trigger jobs. He took the overtravel out. I think he took a little material off the trigger bar. IIRC, it was around $50.
Old May 30, 2010, 03:33 PM   #7
Jimtl

I installed the Ghost Rocket 3.5 connector and a glockworx firing pin plunger. The trigger is smooth, light and has vitually no overtravel.

http://www.glockwarehouse.com/product_p/zt-fps-ti.htm

http://www.ghostinc.com/category/35_rocket/
Old May 30, 2010, 04:00 PM   #8
threegun

Get the ghost rocket connector and reduced power spring kit. Call nick @ north Texas glock works 1-214-277-4247 for details.

You will need to replace the firing pin spring, trigger spring, and firing pin safety spring. Nick has a great package for 11.00 dollars.

You will need to install the ghost rocket connector 25.00 bucks. The ghost rocket will require fitting for the over travel stop. This is easy however it will require an armorers slide cover plate and tool......like 9 or 11 bucks. Nick will walk you through the easy process.

Lastly you will need to polish several areas. I can list them for you or you can see it being done on you tube.

It is easy. I was fearful at first however it only takes about an hour once you know what you are doing. Maybe less.

Less than 50 bucks and a bad to the bone trigger. Plus an intimate knowledge of you Glock. I will help you if you need it.
Old May 30, 2010, 05:02 PM   #9
kodiakbeer

Quote:
I would like a 3.5 pund pull and a crisp trigger with no creep is this possible?
Sure, buy a pistol where the trigger wasn't designed by lawyers...

Seriously, that's the whole point of a Glock! It was designed to have a bad trigger to reduce civil suits against nervous cops who shot people accidentally. So, no matter what you do it's going to have a long spongy trigger pull.
Old May 30, 2010, 05:21 PM   #10
threegun

Quote:
Seriously, that's the whole point of a Glock! It was designed to have a bad trigger to reduce civil suits against nervous cops who shot people accidentally.
Not true. Some agencies asked for heavier trigger pulls however normal Glock triggers are 5.5 lbs. Out of the box they are ok. Other manufactures are guilty of this but not Glock.

Last edited by threegun; May 30, 2010 at 05:26 PM.
Old May 30, 2010, 05:48 PM   #11
HKFan9

If you want a nice trigger pull don't get a Glock.:barf: They are good guns, but I could not stand the trigger. Like others have said the drop in parts lighten it but do not perform a "trigger job". I toyed around with the idea of changing parts on my Glock 17, but found a great deal on a 1911 with a trigger job already performed by my local and trusted gun smith. I bought the 1911 and sold the Glock and never looked back.

Not trying to Glock bash, but personally I felt like trying to mess with the Glock trigger system wasn't worth it IMO. For DAO semi auto's, Kahr takes the cake for trigger pulls. It is exactly what you would want in a CCW DAO trigger pull.
Old May 30, 2010, 05:51 PM   #12
AK103K

Quote:
Out of the box they are ok.
Thats what I always thought. Mine always seemed fine as they came.
Old May 30, 2010, 05:53 PM   #13
Uncle Malice

Ghost Rocket, Lightning Strike Aluminum Trigger, Lightning Strike Titanium Firing Pin Plunger, (optionally, Lightning Strike Titanium Striker), Wolff 6lb Trigger Spring. Manual smooth and polish of all connecting surfaces.

That will get you a hell of an awesome trigger, but it's not cheap.
Old May 30, 2010, 06:02 PM   #14
kodiakbeer

Quote:
Some agencies asked for heavier trigger pulls however normal Glock triggers are 5.5 lbs. Out of the box they are ok. Other manufactures are guilty of this but not Glock.
It's not the weight, it's the length of pull. The Glock was marketed to police agencies from the beginning with the selling point that the long miserable trigger pull would mean less accidental shootings of suspects held at gunpoint. Prior to that, they were using DA/SA pistols and the transition between the pulls often led to accidental shootings if the pistol had already been fired, or if the cop had thumbed the hammer back.

Glocks are specifically designed to have a bad trigger to reduce civil liability. Training can overcome that bad trigger, but it's still a bad trigger.
Old May 30, 2010, 06:53 PM   #15
threegun

Quote:
It's not the weight, it's the length of pull. The Glock was marketed to police agencies from the beginning with the selling point that the long miserable trigger pull would mean less accidental shootings of suspects held at gunpoint. Prior to that, they were using DA/SA pistols and the transition between the pulls often led to accidental shootings if the pistol had already been fired, or if the cop had thumbed the hammer back.

Glocks are specifically designed to have a bad trigger to reduce civil liability. Training can overcome that bad trigger, but it's still a bad trigger.
Please stop listening to whom ever is feeding you that line of garbage. The rearward travel of my stock Glock 21 trigger is a whopping 5/16th's inch ( or this long -----). It resets after about 1/8th inch forward travel and will fire again with 1/8inch rear travel (or this long --). If you have ever even dryfired a Glock you would realize the incredible nonsense you just posted. Heck even the gun with the greatest trigger in the world, the 1911, moves 1/8th inch to the rear on a stock colt commander. BTW I'm measuring them as we speak.

So police departments went to the Glock with its 5/16 inch initial trigger pull to avoid problems cause by da/sa guns like sig 229's and h&k usp's both of whom have 7/16th inch single action rear travel. Come on now admit you have little experience with Glocks.
Old May 30, 2010, 06:57 PM   #16
AK103K

Quote:
Glocks are specifically designed to have a bad trigger to reduce civil liability.
I seriously doubt that, the "designed to have a bad trigger" part.

Quote:
....but it's still a bad trigger.
Which is simply personal opinion, and not fact for everyone.
Old May 30, 2010, 07:02 PM   #17
kodiakbeer

Quote:
Please stop listening to whom ever is feeding you that line of garbage. The rearward travel of my stock Glock 21 trigger is a whopping 5/16th's inch ( or this long -----). It resets after about 1/8th inch forward travel and will fire again with 1/8inch rear travel (or this long --). If you have ever even dryfired a Glock you would realize the incredible nonsense you just posted.
Please... I've been shooting for many years and that includes Glocks. What I stated above is quite true - the long pull was (and still is) a selling point for police agencies.

And yes, you can learn to overcome the bad trigger by not allowing it to go all the way forward. It's just that with SA pistols, you don't have anything to overcome. They have a short crisp pull to begin with.
Old May 30, 2010, 07:04 PM   #18
kodiakbeer

Quote:
Which is simply personal opinion, and not fact for everyone.
Number of bullseye competitions won with Glocks?

Number of bullseye competitions won with SA pistols?

Glocks are good pistols for a number of reasons, but trigger pull isn't one of them.
Old May 30, 2010, 07:08 PM   #19
varoadking

Quote:
It's just that with SA pistols, you don't have anything to overcome.
...except for the manual safety. You'll find damned few rank and file police departments using SA pieces for this very reason, among others...
Old May 30, 2010, 07:17 PM   #20
AK103K

Quote:
Number of bullseye competitions won with Glocks?

Number of bullseye competitions won with SA pistols?

Glocks are good pistols for a number of reasons, but trigger pull isn't one of them.
I suppose that may be important if your a bullseye shooter, then again, I wouldnt be carrying a bullseye gun, or any match gun for that matter, in my holster.

Personally, I dont see what the big deal is with the Glock, or for that matter, any of the other out of the box triggers, except for maybe Springifelds crappy 1911 triggers. Everything else I've owned for the most part, have been fine, and very shootable.

I'm always amazed at the SA shooters who dont seem to be able to shoot anything else, so everything else is "bad", since they cant shoot them. Seems like a lack of training on their part to me.
Old May 30, 2010, 08:03 PM   #21
HKFan9

I can shoot DAO just fine, but that doesn't change the fact that I prefer a SA handgun. I believe in to each their own, but if you are worried about having a nice trigger pull, Glock is one of the last companies I would look at. If I wanted a gun I know would be reliable when I was rolling around and crawling through dirt and mud, and wanted to put shots on target reliably.... yea than I would probably take a Glock with me. However for MOST of us CCW, a trip to the store to get milk doesn't require us crawling through a ditch.

For the money your going to sink in to give a Glock a trigger job, you could of probably spent on something you might enjoy more out of the box.

I owned a Glock I have nothing against them, but Kahr for a DAO CCW gun, have hands down the best DAO trigger I have felt besides my tuned S&W revolver. It IS a long pull, but its super smooth and breaks clean. My PM-9 was a little too small for a all year carry so I am looking into grabbing a used K9.
Old May 31, 2010, 11:27 AM   #22
threegun

Quote:
It's not the weight, it's the length of pull.The Glock was marketed to police agencies from the beginning with the selling point that the long miserable trigger pull would mean less accidental shootings of suspects held at gunpoint.
You are saying that Glock marketed guns with long trigger pull lengths to prevent accidental shootings. I'm telling you that the Glock trigger pull is shorter than the SA trigger pull on many of the guns police already had.

Quote:
What I stated above is quite true - the long pull was (and still is) a selling point for police agencies.
Kodiacbeer why is the trigger pull length of the Glock shorter than the single action trigger pull length of say the Sig229, S&W 5906 & 39, beretta 92fs?

So either you are wrong or police agencies were fooled into purchasing a gun with a shorter trigger pull than what they had while expressing a desire to get a gun with a longer pull to reduce accidents.
Old May 31, 2010, 11:45 AM   #23
gc70

Glocks are designed to have a trigger pull that is heavier than those of SA guns or DA/SA guns in SA mode. The fact that reduced-weight connectors are available (even from Glock) shows that the trigger pull weight on Glocks was a carefully considered design factor. The extra pressure require to pull a Glock trigger is supposed to be a safety factor that offsets the need for a manual safety or decocker.
Old May 31, 2010, 12:13 PM   #24
threegun

Heavier than a DA/SA in single action mode I agree. Longer is incorrect.

If the sole concern of Glock was to reduce law suits they would have added a manual safety and upped the trigger pull weight. 5.5lbs stock is pretty light already and certainly not a "bad trigger". I believe that the 5.5 lb pull weight had more to due with reliability than law suits.

Last edited by threegun; May 31, 2010 at 12:30 PM.
Old May 31, 2010, 02:33 PM   #25
kodiakbeer

Quote:
Kodiacbeer why is the trigger pull length of the Glock shorter than the single action trigger pull length of say the Sig229, S&W 5906 & 39, beretta 92fs?
Simply because it IS much shorter. You're confusing single action pull with double action pull and since you aren't familiar with those very basic facts, you probably shouldn't be trying to debate the point.

Lemme 'splain... Before cops went to the Glock, they were using a variety of wonder 9's and revolvers. All of those had a stout double action first shot that was quite safe, even when under stress. However, many cops would cock their piece in a fight so they didn't have to deal with that. And many times, they would discharge rounds and be left with a cocked piece.

There were a lot of big dollar lawsuits against police who "accidentally" shot a suspect they were holding at gunpoint with cocked (single action) pieces. Most of those probably weren't even accidental shootings - the guy might have went for the gun, whatever. Yet, in civil court the police invariably lost because the lawyer would rave on about the "hair trigger" and sway the jury.

This was one of the points that Gaston Glocks design addressed. Another was the simplicity of the design - no safety, etc, so you could just draw and shoot. That simplifies training and saves even more money.

There's nothing wrong with a Glock. That same long pull protects you (the civilian) from A/D's under stress. And that same simplicity helps you in the stress of a gunfight.

But... The long trigger pull is not there to aid the shooter, it's there to prevent A/D's. It's a lawyer trigger.