The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old July 23, 2007, 07:45 AM   #1
threegun

Taught my son a lesson in awareness & safety yesterday

Took my 11 year old fishing yesterday. I went into downtown Tampa to find an area to fish on the Hillsborough River. After much looking I found a park with waterfront access and off we went. As we fished I began to notice that this particular area wasn't very "good". It looked beautiful in construction and maintenance however the people appeared poverty stricken. Lots of walkers & bike riders with grocery bags and sleeping material, clothes under the bridge (up where the bridge and ground meet and bums sleep). I told my son to keep an eye out for anyone that might be approaching us or looking at us. After about 30 minutes he says dad that guy is looking at us. It was a walker (crossing the low bridge). He was starring at us with a not so friendly look on his face. Soon another man walked by looking intensely at us then another followed by a bike rider again starring at us. None approached us but one guy stopped then proceeded. I began to worry remembering a time when I was younger. As I played basketball two teens, after starring, got up and left. Soon after 10 or more youths chased us away. I worried that the bike rider or walkers would get help to come rob us. After all my rods alone were worth 500 bucks (if they knew about them) then our necklaces were visible due to tank tops and worth 200 & 3000. I told my son to pack up and explained why. He said but daddy don't you have a gun. I said yes but I would rather leave than shoot someone. I added that I also had to worry about him so I had to be extra careful. We got back to the car loaded up and drove home. Around the corner was a housing projects or ghetto that wasn't visible from the parks entrance.

The moral of the story is beware the lone stranger that stares then disappears as he might be "getting help". I believe that if we hadn't left when we did trouble was coming. It would have been surprised to get such a deadly response but thats not what anyone wants.
Old July 23, 2007, 08:34 AM   #2
Tanzer

Good job, Dad. You separated guns from "Macho tough guy" stuff. Good lesson for the kid.
Old July 23, 2007, 10:20 AM   #3
Dj Dust

Great story chuck I was in that same situation with my dad about 20 years ago so I know just what you mean.
Old July 23, 2007, 11:44 AM   #4
olds442man

Great Job! That is a lesson he will remember for a lifetime.
Old July 23, 2007, 08:31 PM   #5
eltorrente

I think they were just walking by looking at the two fisherman. Maybe seeing if you caught any fish. I doubt they were running to get the gang. Sounds like you turned it into an exciting close-call for your kid, though.
Old July 23, 2007, 08:41 PM   #6
9mmHP

I think he was right. ALWAYS trust your instincts of danger, they're usually accurate.
Old July 23, 2007, 08:42 PM   #7
cambeul41

eltorrente

Maybe. But maybe not. Are you a betting man? I am not.
Old July 23, 2007, 08:48 PM   #8
Tanzer

Quote:
I think they were just walking by looking at the two fisherman. Maybe seeing if you caught any fish. I doubt they were running to get the gang. Sounds like you turned it into an exciting close-call for your kid, though.
Key words: Think, Maybe, Doubt.
A think, a maybe and a doubt would not be sufficient for me. I'd have left.
Old July 23, 2007, 09:28 PM   #9
eltorrente

People look at me all the time, and I don't get scared and leave.

Just enjoy your day of fishing. Don't assume everyone that looks your way is a badguy.

OMG what if someone had walked down to you guys out of curiosity! Holy crap that would have been SCARY!!!!
Old July 23, 2007, 09:32 PM   #10
Tanzer

eltorrente,
You ever been to Miami? Near a housing project?
Old July 23, 2007, 09:41 PM   #11
eltorrente

Quote:
eltorrente,
You ever been to Miami? Near a housing project?
Been to Miami, but didn't hang out at the housing projects. Been near plenty of them though in various big cities, and they aren't the kind of neighborhoods I'd take my kid to for a nice afternoon. Telling the kid to keep a lookout and warn if anyone is looking their way sounds pretty paranoid to start with, and apparantly the original poster felt unsafe to begin with in that area- and if he did then he shouldn't have been there in the first place. If you were having a day at the beach with your kid, would you tell him to keep a sharp look out for anyone that looks your way? Probably not - so obviously he knew they weren't in the best place to start with.

All that being said, you're still just fishing and enjoying the day, so keep on going. Just because people walk by and look at you is no reason to run for the hills and put motive behind everyone's eyes.
Old July 23, 2007, 09:42 PM   #12
dreamcastdre

I'm paranoid by nature so I'm sure I'd have probably done the same thing. I think it was a good call on dad's part; better safe than sorry. I'd rather not take a chance getting my daughter caught up in a potentially bad situation if it can be avoided.
Old July 23, 2007, 10:01 PM   #13
Tanzer

Quote:
Been to Miami, but didn't hang out at the housing projects. Been near plenty of them though in various big cities, and they aren't the kind of neighborhoods I'd take my kid to for a nice afternoon. {omitted} ... apparantly the original poster felt unsafe to begin with in that area- and if he did then he shouldn't have been there in the first place.
Credit where credit is due.... On this I definitely agree!
Old July 24, 2007, 12:11 AM   #14
eltorrente

Quote:
Credit where credit is due.... On this I definitely agree!
Yeah, I think that although I may disagree about the motives of the individuals, the fact is that if I didn't feel safe I would have left, also. However the main thing is that if I didn't feel safe in the first place, I wouldn't have stuck around to begin with.

Many times in my life I've walked down to talk to a fisherman and see what he's catching. Sometimes I've stood back from him and just watched to see what he's fishing with, if he caught anything, or whatever - just curious and it's something to look at in an otherwise boring afternoon. I never thought the guy would be scared of me, but I suppose some of them were and were really watching me with some nervousness as I approached.
Old July 24, 2007, 08:22 AM   #15
threegun

Quote:
As we fished I began to notice that this particular area wasn't very "good". It looked beautiful in construction and maintenance however the people appeared poverty stricken. Lots of walkers & bike riders with grocery bags and sleeping material, clothes under the bridge (up where the bridge and ground meet and bums sleep).
Eltorrente, I would never put my self let alone my child in harms way on purpose. As I said in my OP the park looked beautiful. I got a funny feeling that I can't explain why. I'm not overly paranoid and I do talk to folks. I guess you just had to be there to understand. I can tell you this when that guy stopped, looked around mostly at us, without saying catching anything, I pulled the pug on the trip.

The catch 22 is that had I stayed and been forced to draw or shoot you would be calling me rambo and stupid for not leaving after all the warnings. I guess I'd rather be paranoid.

I fear getting my child hurt. I fear not being able to maintain control of a situation. I'm not scared of people. I'm by no means a bad arse but I can dish out a whole lot of nasty if cornered........running is easier and safer.
Old July 24, 2007, 08:28 AM   #16
threegun

My son now knows that running isn't being a coward. He now knows to use his surroundings to help make judgments. He now knows to observe how people look at him and how they act. Most important he now knows that having the ability to kill another human being doesn't give him the right to allow someone to force him to kill them.

BTW We caught a few fish also. Saltwater cats :barf: but one almost pulled the rod from my sons hands. Fun to fight for sure.
Old July 24, 2007, 09:12 AM   #17
Dave P

I don't know if it is just Florida or not, but it seems that just about every public park area is to be avoided.

I live about 1 mile away from highway US 1, which seems to be the road of choice for all hobo's on the East Coast. Worthless bums are everywhere.

And if there is a public bathroom within the park there are bound to be plenty of men looking for a good time. :barf:
Old July 24, 2007, 10:00 AM   #18
crankshop1000

Another moral of the story is that it's a shame you can't take your son fishing in a public area without fearing harm from the bums that seem to have taken over every public access area. You did good.We need to teach our kids the real facts of life.They won't learn it in school. Chuck.
Old July 24, 2007, 10:29 AM   #19
Hemicuda

threegun... a 3000 dollar necklace? 500 dollar fishing rods?

I own somw wxpensive fishing gear... Orvis, Fenwick, and others...

I wear some expensive Indian silver jewelry... a couple high-dollar flight-chronographs etc...

I ALSO own somew Zebco equipment, and realize that the fish won't even notice my jewelry... SO...

I use the cheap equipment when it might be a theft attractant, and I do not wear expensive jewelry when FISHING...

What is the purpose of wearing 3000 dollar necklaces fishing?

gun and car collector.
Rare cars, and rarer guns.
Old July 24, 2007, 12:20 PM   #20
seeker_two

Good call, threegun....

Takes a better man to walk away from a fight than to drag family into one...
Old July 25, 2007, 05:35 AM   #21
threegun

Hemi, I just never take my chain off. Its 180 grams of 14kt. I hide it inside my shirt when forced to be in a risky area. As for the rods I messed up on the price. I had 2 G loomis GL3's (220 each) each with Shimano Stradic 2500 reels (120 each) thats 680.00 just for those two. I brought 4 rods but the other two were only about 250 bucks for both. What can I say I work at a pawnshop and get good deals. I also tournament bass fish. Good equipment makes a difference in guns and in fishing.

Dave, Hobo's or Bum's have never bothered me. You are right though it seems that predators and perverts hang around parks these days. This park was devoid of people. It was so isolated and quite that I felt very funny almost too quite. The bridge we chose just happened to be the main link between a store and the Ghetto.
Old July 25, 2007, 06:42 AM   #22
Dave P

"What is the purpose of wearing 3000 dollar necklaces fishing?"

Hemi - shame on you. How do you feel when someone asks you: "whats the purpose of this big fancy dodge just sitting in your garage?"

Its not a "purpose" or a need, its a want.
Old July 25, 2007, 06:29 PM   #23
threegun

I bought the chain in 2000 give or take when gold was at about 270 per oz. The chain cost me 1,400 back then. Now gold is around 660 per oz almost 2 1/2 times more money putting the chain at around 3,500.

I worked hard to get it and it is a part of me now. It represents my sweat. As Dave so eloquently put it I want to wear it. When I fish, shoot, eat, sleep, bathe, and yes even while doing IT LOL. It only comes off to clean.

"Why do you own that black rifle"? "Can't hunt with it"! "You ain't in the army"!

I own it just because LOL.
Old July 26, 2007, 07:58 AM   #24
JoeBlackSpade

three gun, you did the right thing man.

Here's the rule about when to leave:

If you aren't FROM that neighborhood, and you feel uncomfortable, its time to make like a banana and split.

Eltorrente (possibly), and maybe a few other guys on here- myself included- we grew up in crap neighborhoods, and have a better street feel, than someone who grew up elsewhere. We know when its just a toothless crackhead that wants to see what you caught or babble on with you, and when its a scout- someone scoping you out as a potential target. If you can't tell the difference, err on the side of caution. The world is full of lakes and streams, and none of them are worth death or injury.

Not to pull the race card here, either, but if you are white in a black neighborhood, you are GONNA stand out, so you will get looks. And, if you are in a poor/ghetto neighborhood, its not even a "maybe". You can be 100% sure you will get mugged if you put yourself in that position. Poor neighborhoods are ridden with crime, simply because there's usually no education, no jobs, no money, and very little hope. In the neighborhood I grew up in, there were groups of guys constantly on the lookout for ANYONE casually passing through, even from another close-by neighborhood, just so they could "kike" them. In the rare case that they appeared to be from a "well-to-do" area, perhaps just lost tourists, then all the better! They were like a big fat juicy lamb in a den of wolves.

Growing up, I had to fight sometimes just to keep my NIKE sneakers on my feet. While in Junior High School, a white family moved to my area from South Africa- to escape the violence. Within one year, one of the boys- my age- was killed in a daylight shooting. Sad but true. He was a twin brother, and his sisters were twins too. In neighborhoods like this, it doesn't matter if you are black, white, or latino. If you are in the wrong place at the wrong time, and you LOOK like you have something of value, you WILL be scoped out. From there its just opportunity.

Go with your instinct and if you are going to make an error in judgement, err on the side of caution.
Old July 26, 2007, 08:41 AM   #25
9mmHP

Why should anyone have to explain themselves as to why they own any legal item? The insinuation that he's in the wrong because he owns something valuable is outrageous.