The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old May 3, 2013, 03:10 PM   #1
Moloch

Leupold VX2 parallax setting?

Tried out my new Leupold VX2 on my rifle and got really bad accuracy, like 1.5'' or more at 100 yds. I checked the parallax setting which is supposed to be 100 (its fixed, non adjustable), but I could definitely see the crosshair move around at least an inch when I didn't look perfectly centered through the scope - and thats definitely what caused the bad groups. Magnification I used was 7.

So, the parallax setting for the 2-7x33 VXII is 100yds, right?
Old May 3, 2013, 03:48 PM   #2
NoSecondBest

They advertise that scope as "rimfire parallax". In that case, it would probably be set at 50 yds.
Old May 3, 2013, 04:01 PM   #3
Moloch

True, Leupold has a line of rimfire scopes in the 2-7x33 power range but mine is definitely one of their centerfire scopes. They also have shotgun and muzzleloader scopes in 2-7x33.
Old May 3, 2013, 04:42 PM   #4
NoSecondBest

I didn't say it was a rimfire scope. Their website shows the VariX 2 as "parallex adjusted" which simply means 50 yds set point. Check the website yourself. It doesn't list it as a rimfire scope.
Old May 3, 2013, 06:26 PM   #5
jmr40

According to this online owners manual it should be set at 150 yards. Pages 25 and 26. It also goes on to say that even in extreme parallax issues it shouldn't effect accuracy by more than about 2/10" at 100 yards.

http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/FIR...i-x_series.pdf

Leupolds website is vague about parallax distances. It does say "rimfire parallax" on the website under VX-2's, but does not say what that means. The owners manual does go into more detail. It says the "Compact RF Specials" are set at 60 yards. But the VX-2 is not a compact scope, even in 2-7X33, and is not marketed as a rimfire scope.

One other issue. Leupold has made several upgrades in recent years. The Varix-II was replaced by the VX-II, which was replaced by the VX-2 and even the VX-2 received a major upgrade with no name change in January 2012. If your VX-2 has click adjustments it is the newest generation. I have no idea which generation of scopes are covered in the owners manual. I'd call Leupold for clarification.

But I'm betting that even if the parallax is set at 50-60 yards this is not your problem. I have no problems getting good groups with my VX-2's.
Old May 4, 2013, 05:59 AM   #6
Bart B.

Why do folks focusing their scopes at different ranges by moving its front lens group call this function "adjusting parallax" when focusing is in the line of sight and puts the target image on the reticule axis and parallax is apparent image movement near the scope's reticule plane at right angles to the line of sight when the scope is not focused at target range? Especially when the aiming eye's on the optical axis, there will never be any parallax regardless of where the scope's focused at.

The movement of binocular, telescope and camera lenses for different distances is called "focusing" and so was the same thing on rifle scopes for decades.

Last edited by Bart B.; May 4, 2013 at 06:17 AM.
Old May 4, 2013, 07:33 AM   #7
Moloch

Mine has click adjustments, so it must be one of the new ones.
Quote:
But I'm betting that even if the parallax is set at 50-60 yards this is not your problem. I have no problems getting good groups with my VX-2's.
Like I said, the reticle moves around quite a bit when my eye is not looking perfectly straight through it, at least an inch or even more, thats MUCH more than 2/10ths of an inch. Since its not installed on a target rifle and I do not have an adjustable cheek piece the way I look through the scope varies a little bit from shot to shot, thus leading to bad groups.

How much do the reticles of your scopes move at 100?
Old May 4, 2013, 01:39 PM   #8
jmr40

Quote:
How much do the reticles of your scopes move at 100?
To be honest, I don't know. I always mount the gun exactly the same and have never tried.

Quote:
I do not have an adjustable cheek piece the way I look through the scope varies a little bit from shot to shot, thus leading to bad groups.
This may be your problem. You don't need an adjustable cheek piece, just work on better form. Was this a rifle known for better accuracy with another scope? Some rifles and ammo combinations are only going to give you 1 1/2" accuracy. You could have a defective scope.

Some photos of my VX-2 on a Winchester FWT and accuracy.

Old May 4, 2013, 05:50 PM   #9
Moloch

Quote:
Was this a rifle known for better accuracy with another scope? Some rifles and ammo combinations are only going to give you 1 1/2" accuracy. You could have a defective scope.
When I bought the rifle I installed a 1-4x24 Millet I had lying around unused, consistently shot .7 MOA groups with it (with 4x!) I still have the targets. Unfortunately I sold the scope so I can't put it back on to try if accuracy improves.

But its clearly parallax, I have a 4-16x44 Meopta Tactical on my target rifle, it has a parallax adjustment, no matter how I look through the scope the reticle doesn't move at all and my best group is pretty much one ragged hole with 5 shots of my handloads.

By the way, thats a really nice looking rifle!
Old May 6, 2013, 12:13 PM   #10
45_auto

Quote:
I checked the parallax setting which is supposed to be 100 (its fixed, non adjustable), but I could definitely see the crosshair move around at least an inch when I didn't look perfectly centered through the scope - and thats definitely what caused the bad groups.
Sounds like you have your problem all figured out - what exactly are you hoping for anyone here to tell you?

For what it's worth, none of my dozen or so Leupolds (2 are VX-2's) have the problem you're describing. Send it back to the factory, it's got a lifetime warranty.
Old May 7, 2013, 05:53 PM   #11
Toolman

I have one VX-2. Never had a problem with it. The other scopes I have are VX-3's with side focus. The side focus turret replaces the A/O. I like them both. I prefer the S/F VX-3's. Kinda acts like a range finder.
Old May 7, 2013, 05:58 PM   #12
Lucas McCain

Call Leupold and talk to some one who actually knows.
Old May 8, 2013, 12:20 PM   #13
FrankenMauser

Most of Leupold's 'standard' line of centerfire scopes have parallax adjustment pre-set for 150 yards. There are a few oddities in the previous two generations of scopes, with parallax at 125 yards or 175+ yards, but 150 is standard.

If you don't like it (such as, if you just punch paper), you can send the scope to Leupold, to have the parallax set to the distance you prefer.
Old May 8, 2013, 06:51 PM   #14
csmsss

One thing I find amusing is the OP's complaint of 1.5 MOA as "bad accuracy". I'm not making fun of him/her, but I'm old enough to remember a time that 1.5 MOA out of a factory rifle was considered damn good and about as good as one could expect without spending a ton of time and money accurizing it.
Old June 6, 2013, 08:29 PM   #15
MikeSD

Quote:
Why do folks focusing their scopes at different ranges by moving its front lens group call this function "adjusting parallax" when focusing is in the line of sight and puts the target image on the reticule axis and parallax is apparent image movement near the scope's reticule plane at right angles to the line of sight when the scope is not focused at target range?
Punctuation is your friend. 65 words. Whew! By the time I got to the end, I forgot what the beginning was about.

The thing that confuses me about this adjustable parallax is that I turn my ring and don't see any difference. I set the focus, for a given distance, and when I change the parallax adjustment ring, nothing changes, that I can tell. Seems to me that if I focus at 30, 40, 50, 60 yards, respectively, there should be a corresponding change in parallax required. But I see double lines, no matter how I set the objective ring. Must be my eyes.

I wonder... I wonder if this could be my eyes. I had cataract surgery a few years ago and now my eyes are pretty much fixed focus, with some very small amount left. I wonder if this effect of parallax adjustment is affected by the eyes inability to make necessary small adjustments in focus? Hmmm.

Last edited by MikeSD; June 6, 2013 at 08:36 PM.
Old June 7, 2013, 06:29 AM   #16
Bart B.

Parallax in optics has nothing to do with ones eyes. It's simply (only!!!) the target/subject image not being focused by the front lens at the focus point of the back lens. Moving the back lens (eyepiece!!!) on a rifle scope only moves its focus point front to back across the reticule (or image thereof).

Parallax happens with binoculars when the eyepieces are not moved in/out such that the subject image is sharp.

It's all exactly the same with a single lens reflex camera. Adjusting the front lens (that thing fit to the front of the camera) focuses the subject image on the ground glass focusing screen (just like the reticule in a rifle scope). Then you adjust the camera eyepiece diopter setting so the image on the ground glass is sharp and clear; usually be seeing the fine lines on it appear very distinct and sharp. Then you can focus the front lens to focus the subject image very sharp and clear on the ground glass.
Old June 8, 2013, 10:02 PM   #17
Weatherby Fan

Lots of misinformation here.

Leupold Rimfire scopes are set to 60 yards NOT 50 yards.

Leupold Centerfire scopes are set to 150 yards NOT 100 yards.

Just because they list 'rimfire parallax' on the specs for the VX1 or VX2 doesn't mean that every VX1 or VX2 is set to 60 yards. It simply means that there is a rimfire version available for sale. Unless your scope has 'rimfire' printed on the box and lazer etched on the bottom of the scope, don't worry about it.
Old June 11, 2013, 01:35 AM   #18
FiveInADime

Bart,

I am often frustrated reading peoples descriptions of what an adjustable objective or side focus does. It seems like people really have a hard time grasping what is actually going on and some will never get it. Thanks for the explanation.