The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 24, 2009, 01:42 AM   #1
kiwicrusaders

Ammo for ducks and phesants

I am just getting into duck hunting and phesant hunting and am absolutely loveing it. I have bought a Browning BPS 12g witha 26inch barrell, great gun and got my first triple today.

Can anyone explain shotgun ammo to me and what you would recommend for the type of gun I have and the type of hunting I am doing. One of the rounds I am also trying to find out a little more about are minbi magnums?
Old May 24, 2009, 02:05 AM   #2
hoytinak

I use #6 shot for pheasant, never hunted duck so I can't help you there. The best thing to do is try different loads and see what gives your gun the best patterns.
Old May 24, 2009, 03:50 AM   #3
zippy13

Don't forget, your water fowl loads must be non-toxic. Your load selection will be somewhat controlled by the environment.

Years ago, I asked a Native American gun club buddy why he was so successful on all of his hunting trips. His answer was simple: when in unfamiliar territory seek out the locals and follow their recommendations.

Check with the guides, outfitters, or gun shops in the area where you're going to be hunting. They will give you area specific suggestions. Then, as hoytinak recommended, check out how some of them work in your gun.
Old May 24, 2009, 08:51 PM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Preserve Pheasants, anything bigger than 9s will work. Skeet choke shines here.

For wild ringnecks, I like 5s, though I've killed lots of birds with 6s or even 7 1/2s with close working dogs. Choke it around Mod for starters. 1 1/4 oz seems about right.

Waterfowl means non toxic round these parts. For geese, I like Hevishot 2s.

Ducks,say mallard sized. try Hevi 4s. I've good reports but don't do much ducking.
Old May 24, 2009, 10:16 PM   #5
6x6pinz

I usually start the season off with 4 shot steel in a full choke 12ga. As the season progresses I let the flight of the birds determine what changes I need to make. Some years they just would not stay out of the decoys and we would switch to 6 shot and loosen up the chokes a bit, to minimize damage. Other years, like last year, we had to go to extra full and 2 shot was barely getting the job done.
I don't think there is a magic combination, you just have to adjust to the birds.

The geese seem to like the larger shot and in some cases the 3 1/2" rounds were the only thing bringing them down consistently. Again there have been hunts where these rounds would have left little to pick up.

for pheasant I have used my 870 18" pump gun with 6 shot , very windy days, in most cases I prefer the 20 auto with 26" barrel and 6 shot in a modified choke. I don't know about other places but here in AZ it seems most of the pheasant just jump up at your feet so quick and accurate shots are the norm.
Old May 26, 2009, 02:55 PM   #6
Death from Afar

Mate, by your name I assume that you are from my neck of the woods?

From much experience, unless you are open paddock shooting, for virtually all waterfowling in NZ I use a Falcom 3 inch magnum load of #2. I find it good value for money and effective on ducks, parries and pukekos. If you can use lead, use Falcon 40 gramm #2 as well. Use a half to 3/4 choke depending on the weather- the better the weather, the tighter the choke. Hope this helps!