The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 6, 2012, 10:29 PM   #1
JustinBiscuit

M1A Stocks

Its decided - I am buying an M1A loaded with fiberglass stock. My question is is the stock that ships with the rifle ok or should I consider an upgrade. I am not interested in optics, or EBR, just iron site long distance fun.

Thanks in advance.
Old November 6, 2012, 11:00 PM   #2
Creeper

The OE synthetic stock is fine for just about anything short of service rifle matches. Actually, they're fine for that as well, unless your such a good shot that you would actually competitively benefit from a premium stock like a McMillan M1A.

C
Old November 7, 2012, 01:04 AM   #3
Edward429451

I bought an M1A Loaded with a synthetic stock (thinking it would be lighter). It's only a few ounces lighter, the paint was already peeling off when I got it. It doesn't look very good when compared to any wood stocked M1A. If I were to do it over again, I would get the wood stock, period.
Old November 7, 2012, 10:23 AM   #4
madcratebuilder

You well see some flex in the fore-end of glass stocks. I have added two 3/16" carbon fiber tubes to reinforce this. Grind a 1/4" troth the length of the fore-end and glue in the tube with resin. This is a good time to add a 2" section of Picitinny rail to the front sling point.

Old November 8, 2012, 07:34 AM   #5
wayne in boca

The new M1A stocks are plasticrap,not fiberglass.The fiberglass stocks they used to come with were refinished USGI fiberglass stocks.My son-in law bought a Scout with one of those plastic abominations on it.It had zero trigger group tension and shot all over the place.We replaced it with a walnut and she shoots great now.Either buy it with a walnut stock or ditch the factory plasticrap and put a USGI fiberglass stock on it.
Old November 8, 2012, 08:17 AM   #6
az_imuth

When I bought my loaded model it came in a painted over USGI fiberglass stock. Although it wasn't bad, I replaced it with a USGI walnut stock that I happened across for a good price. I like the walnut much better, but it is a bit heavier than the fiberglass.