The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 27, 2006, 11:22 AM   #1
cobra81

Stoeger Condor extractors sticking

I've got a Stoeger Condor 12 gauge that is a couple months old, and maybe a couple hundred shells through it. Took it out shooting yesterday, and once again it is HARD to break open after firing. When I cleaned it after our clays session, I found the extractors are not smooth sliding like my other O/U shotgun (Browning Citori). I tried working some oil into the extractor channel, and may have loosened them up some, but they still are very sticky and require a lot of effort to open the action. This is primarily my wife's gun, and even though she's no weakling, if it remains this balky, she'll not enjoy the workout and might quit going shooting with me
Any suggestions? Is this a common issue on Condors? Also, what have you found to be the best cleaner/solvent at removing the thick gunk the gun is coated in at the factory? The forcing cone area of both barrels is really dirty. I've tried Kroil, CLP, and Hoppe's #9, all to little avail.
Thanks!
Old March 27, 2006, 11:42 AM   #2
oletymer

Mediocre fit and finish of metal parts is not uncommon with lower priced guns. A little work can usually smooth things a bit. For the ejectors mix fine valve lapping compound with a little oil to aid flow. Coat the ejectors and work them a lot manually. Flush the area with a good cleaner degreaser then lube them. For the forcing cones use an electric drill with a section of cleaning rod with your brush. That will really clean out the forcing cones. Several times spray breakfree or some other cleaner while doing this. Try these things and see if it helps.