The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 26, 2000, 09:26 PM   #1
BLITZKRIEG

Im about to start reloading for my shotgun but am a little confused on how to determine the loads. From how I understand it you need to have a different load for each type of shell hull. Problem is I cant find and info the the hulls I have. The hulls I have say "Winchester Super Speed Game Load 7 1/2" and the only thing I can find in this reloading book are "Winchester 2 3/4" compression formed double a, upland, and super x" I guess the real question is how do I determine what kind of hull I have? Thanks for any info.
Old April 26, 2000, 10:15 PM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

Blitz,

Get on Winchester Ammo's Web Site, click the link for their reloading pamphlet, and search for the information you need.

It should be there. Hopefully.

If it isn't, e-mail them. I've done that before (not for quite awhile, though) and they've always gotten back to me with the answers.
Old April 27, 2000, 12:59 AM   #3
KenReb

I saw Lyman's 4th edition shotshell reloading manual a couple of weeks ago and it has exactly what you are looking for, and it is even in color. I am ordering mine next week. Gamaliel out of Kentucky has it for $18.00.
Old April 27, 2000, 08:40 AM   #4
Hueco

I believe those hulls that you mentioned have the aluminum "brass?" For some reason, I don't think they are reloadable. I could be wrong though. With a little hunting (try the gun shop) you can find once-fired hulls. Winchester AA's and Remington STS/Premier hulls run about 2-4 cents each. If you can get the STS -- get them over the AA. STS are the best hulls made -- especially for autos! Good luck!

Hueco
Old April 27, 2000, 08:02 PM   #5
BLITZKRIEG

Thanks for all the info guys. Ive decided to just throw away these shells and go out and but a bunch of winchester AA's.