The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 13, 2013, 11:57 PM   #1
Pops1085

Care to share your setup

Went ahead and picked up a new 870 and am thinking about turning this into my just for fun gun and was wondering what kind of set ups are out there for this bad boy! Pictures would be appreciated

Last edited by Pops1085; January 14, 2013 at 12:14 AM.
Old January 14, 2013, 01:23 AM   #2
scottd913

i am a Mossberg fan but i know i dressed mine up with a nice stock system and i got it from www.cheaperthandirt.com i got a Phoenix tech. recoil reduction stock and i love it and my small framed wife can shoot it all day.
Old January 14, 2013, 09:16 AM   #3
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Call me a prude... But ever since they started putting on recoil pads at the factory... I cannot, for the life of me, find anything else to add but honest to goodness well earned wear and tear...

Brent
Old January 14, 2013, 10:44 AM   #4
BigD_in_FL

I guess it depends om what you mean by "fun gun". For me that is either clay targets or upland birds - the only accessory I need is a good travel case - and ammo, lots and lots of ammo.........
Old January 14, 2013, 11:00 AM   #5
SurplusShooter

I just have a sling, field barrle(26in), slug barrle smooth bore(20in) with rifle sights, and a shell carrier on the stock. Nohing fancy for me.
Old January 14, 2013, 03:39 PM   #6
4V50 Gary
Staff

Factory extended magazine.
Speed-Feed stock with four extra shells.
Side-saddle with six extra shells.
Sling.
Old January 15, 2013, 10:13 AM   #7
Corrections Cop

Here is my 16 gauge Western Field (Mossberg 500) It has a cut down barrel and tactical pistol grip stock. It also has a mossberg 500 side saddle rail mount and a red dot scope. I t also has a single point sling mount on it. I also sanded down the gun and I painted it all matte black. I also intagrated a 2" rail into the forend, but I need to do some more work with that.
Old January 15, 2013, 10:31 AM   #8
Chief Brody

I've got a Remington 870 Police Magnum (walnut furniture and parkerized), factory 2-shot extension, Streamlight TLR-1 flashlight, M1 carbine-type OD cotton sling, a detachable nylon 6-shot side saddle from S&J Hardware, as well as their jumbo head safety. It's my home defense gun, but I sure would love to be able to just have fun with it plinking. I had a hell of a lot of fun a few months back in a steel plate competition on Long Island, can't wait for the next one.

Picture was taken before the Streamlight was added.
Old January 15, 2013, 12:56 PM   #9
WV_gunner

I have an odd variety of shotguns. Recently just got my first pump. It's a Mossberg Slugster. Only thing I've done to it so far is a 6 shell side saddle and I'm about to start refinishing with blonde shellac.
Old January 16, 2013, 01:04 PM   #10
myshoulderissore

Quote:
I've got a Remington 870 Police Magnum (walnut furniture and parkerized), factory 2-shot extension, Streamlight TLR-1 flashlight, M1 carbine-type OD cotton sling, a detachable nylon 6-shot side saddle from S&J Hardware, as well as their jumbo head safety. It's my home defense gun, but I sure would love to be able to just have fun with it plinking. I had a hell of a lot of fun a few months back in a steel plate competition on Long Island, can't wait for the next one.

Picture was taken before the Streamlight was added.
That is one of the nicest looking shotguns I have seen...

Mine had the +2 extension from the factory, I took it off, it handles much nicer for me, and I added a Knoxx non-recoil reducing stock, so my wife and kids can shoot it comfortably. My only "must recommend" item I have added to it, though, is the Wilson Combat/Scattergun Tech bighead safety. With the awkward spot the safety is in (I know, opinion, but it is true for me) it makes it easier to knock the safety off when needed.
Old January 16, 2013, 10:14 PM   #11
Chief Brody

Thanks a lot, really appreciate the positive feedback. Yeah, the jumbo head safeties are great - I think they should be OEM. I installed the mag extension after shooting the gun for the first time, so I never really got much of a feel for it as it came from the factory. With its primary job being HD, I decided the extra weight up front was all right. Less reloading in the classes and competition too.
Old January 17, 2013, 08:29 PM   #12
SurplusShooter

I really like Brody's set up very similar to my own except I don't have the mag extension.
Old January 17, 2013, 08:50 PM   #13
SPEMack618

I'm generally not one to add anything to a shotgun, short of maybe aftermarket slug sights, but that is one fine looking Police Magnum, Chief Brody.

The Police Magnum with walnut is one of my favorite shotguns, the other being an Ithaca '37 LAPD special.

That is what comes to mind when I think "riot gun".
Old January 17, 2013, 10:03 PM   #14
Chief Brody

Thanks a lot, guys. I'm still relatively new to the community - I bought the Remington in August '12. Wanted to be a gunowner my whole life and had to do it as I was finally moving away from home, into my own place with my fiance. So yeah, it's my first - and for now - only gun. That photo came out too much like a glamour shot haha I fancy the gun as more of a workhorse. I don't have much love for synthetic, black, modern looking scatterguns, so I'm looking forward to this one aging and if it acquires a few dings and scratches along the way, that's fine by me.

The only modification I didn't list earlier was a delrin hi-vis follower from S&J Hardware. The tip is concave, so even if you feel it you can confirm Empty without looking. Eventually, I'll probably have an XS big dot on top of that bead, but I'm in no rush on that. The only other thing I'd really like to do, swap in a chrome bolt. (I'm know, I'm going in the opposite direction as tacti-cool...) but I just love that old school riot gun look. I can see I'm not alone!

A parting shot of the business end with the Streamlight TLR-1 mounted. Safe shooting, guys.

Steve
Old January 19, 2013, 04:35 PM   #15
boattale

I am a big believer in going all out when it comes to tricking out my HD shotguns.

Tags
gear , shotgun , tactical