The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 12, 2010, 02:35 PM   #1
JSimpson65

Missing Bolt - Remington Mohawk 600

Hello All,

My brother-in-law (not the brightest guy around) brought his rifle over last night for some help. It is a Remington Mohawk 600, caliber .243. Problem is that he has lost (?) the bolt for the thing. He's the not a hunter, and probably fires it maybe once every 5 years. He can't find the bolt so wanted to know if I could find out how to get another. Apparently, the rifle was made from 1972 to 1979, so Remington doesn't carry parts for it. I tried calling names off Remington's parts supplier list for obsolete parts, but have had no luck at all so far.

Any suggestions? I don't think the gun is worth that much, especially since someone has slathered a coat of varnish all over the thing that is so thick it almost fills in the checkering. Am I correct that a replacment bolt would still have to be properly fitted by a gunsmith?

There is a good chance the rifle will be mine if we can't get a cheap replacement bolt, so I might be interested in doing something less cheap with it. Rebarrell to 338 Federal? Would still have to get a bolt, however.

Any info would be appreciated.
Old January 12, 2010, 02:48 PM   #2
mapsjanhere

http://www.e-gunparts.com/productsch...0zMOHAWK%20600

But that's going to be pricey once you add all the little parts up.
Old January 12, 2010, 03:19 PM   #3
Doyle

If you find another bolt, it will at the very least have to have the headspace checked. If you are very lucky, it will headspace OK without any modification. If you are not so lucky, it will under-space and you'll need to get the chamber reamed. If you are really unlucky, it will over space and the barrel threads will need to be trimmed down and rescrewed in.
Old January 12, 2010, 07:50 PM   #4
Dfariswheel

Also try:

http://www.jackfirstgun.com/