The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 31, 2009, 06:32 PM   #26
long rider

IM with HH on that,i have had no probs with pietta,
as a matter of i have used pietta internal parts on
a asm with a bit of filing, and a ubertie cylinder in
a pietta 58,
Old February 1, 2009, 09:25 AM   #27
Hoss Fly

Dang Hawg- Cant find all that mess on mine neither

Old February 1, 2009, 09:42 AM   #28
Hawg

That piece of antler still kills me.
Old February 1, 2009, 10:11 AM   #29
Hoss Fly

PHP Code:
That piece of antler still kills me 
I know
Old February 3, 2009, 08:39 PM   #30
noelf2

Yeah what's up with that antler?

I have 2 pietta 44 NMAs and both could have used a bit more polishing on the inside of the frame near the barrel / forcing cone. I wouldn't say it's grinder marks, but that's a pretty close description. They both function and shoot like a dream though, and they are smooth as can be everywhere else. I don't have a uberti to compare with.
Old February 3, 2009, 08:45 PM   #31
FrontierGander

Cabelas sells the brass frame 1851 confederate navy .44cal. One came apart in my hand *some parts broke inside the frame area* the other replacment they sent me, the barrel kept coming off after every shot. Its a real pain in the butt to go searching for the wedge pin after each shot! Third replacement cabelas sent me, the hammer wouldnt pull back at all. They finally told me to pick something else out. I chose light weight camo outfit and turkey decoys I had enough of the pistols.
Old February 3, 2009, 09:09 PM   #32
4V50 Gary
Staff

long rider - the way you mix and match parts makes you sound like Tuco in The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.
Old February 4, 2009, 03:26 AM   #33
Smokin_Gun

I'm a Tuco kind a guy too ... 4V50 Gary you jus' started a Tuco gunsmithin' Club...

SG

Admin:http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php
Old February 4, 2009, 12:49 PM   #34
kirpi97

Quote:
Where's the heavy milling and grinding marks?
Now Hoss and Hawg, I'll take this real slow so that collectively all us do not miss anything. Sometimes the milling issues are hard to uncover by the untrained eye. And without my glasses, I have that untrained eye.

If we look real close at that little round thing. Just behind the thingy bobber and slightly to the left of the what-cha-ma-call-it, there lies the all important do-hicky. It masks the real problem of the poor milling. You see the thing that looks like a screw. Well it is a screw. And somewhere we have all been screwed once in our life.

I agree with you both. So I guess I am part of the H & H fan club. I have had no problem with my Pietta or even my AMS. Okay, the grips on the AMS weren't comfortable (I am working to change that). But as for function, I have yet to lose my wedge pin. The only thing I lose is my dignity as I shoot in the 9 circle. But its my vanity that keeps me from using my glasses.

My bad, not the revolver.

As for my membership in the Tuco Gunsmith Club, I will have to learn more from you all. I am too inexperienced.
Old February 4, 2009, 01:15 PM   #35
Raider2000

With the work that I've done to my little Pietta 1858 NMA w/ 5.5" barrel I guess you can place me in the Tuco Gunsmithing School too & as far as milling marks on any of my Pietta's they are either inside the frame where I would agree could have been touched up better but not horrible but on the outside only the ones that I have put on are there but I'm working on that.
Old February 10, 2009, 09:13 PM   #36
Blankwaffe

Pietta

Hey Hawg,
Guess I will have to eat a little crow here.Gota Pietta 1858 Remington today.Absolute work of art....perfect fit,finish and timing.Could not ask for a better looking revolver.
My 1860 Army must have been a lemon or real old inventory because its not even close to the quality of this revolver.
So I stand corrected....
Old February 11, 2009, 05:07 AM   #37
Hawg

This one was made in 2000. I bought it used is why it has a drag mark. Doesn't have one now. Only issue I have with it is the fat grips.

Old February 11, 2009, 01:48 PM   #38
Blankwaffe

Ive never really cared for the 1858 NM Rem...just never caught my eye until recently.Once I got my paws on one and eye balled it I really appreciate the design,feel and function.Very simple to maintain to say the least.
I agree about the grips.The ones that came on mine were way oversized.I started fitting them to the frame/backstrap and reducing the size overall last night.They already feel better.
Loaded up on spares from Cabela's today.Man thay have good prices on cylinders and parts kits.