The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 30, 2014, 06:31 AM   #1
BoogieMan

Holster break in, Hunter 2200

I picked up a Hunter 2200, tan for my 686+ Talo. I only plan to wear this as a woods gun on rare occasion. If I let it break in on its own I will likely be an old man before its broken in. I would like to use some type of leather oil and to make it smoother and more broken in. What is the best way to speed the process or what oil should I use? I hate to have hunting/woods equipment that looks brand new
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old July 8, 2014, 12:23 PM   #2
BoogieMan

I thought someone would have some input on how to soften up a leather holster. I ended up wiping it down with some mineral oil. It helped but its going to need another coat and more time. I hate to have that brand new look on leather.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old July 8, 2014, 12:32 PM   #3
BarryLee

Just out of curiosity exactly what issue does the holster have that needs “breaking in”?

In general you don’t really want to soften up the holster too much or it may not function properly. If it’s too loose the gun may slip out or it could fold over and make re-holstering difficult. I believe there’s even a photo/video of a guy that had his holster collapsed and when he re-holstered it caught the trigger and the gun fired.

If the holster is so tight the gun won’t fit try wrapping the gun in a few layers of plastic wrap and leaving it in the holster for a few day. The leather will usually stretch enough to accommodate the gun properly.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old July 8, 2014, 12:49 PM   #4
redrick

+1 , You do not want to use oil on your holster . It will make the leather to soft . If it is tight , wrap it in wax paper or a plastic bag and add layers slowly until you get the draw you want . Let it sit in the holster over night . Don't over do it . There is no turning back .
Old July 8, 2014, 02:38 PM   #5
wogpotter

Here is what I did, YMMV.
Wrap the revolver in 2/3 layers of kitchen cling-wrap. (it makes the package a tad oversize, but not too much).

Spray the INSIDE only of the holster thoroughly with the "Kiwi Camp Dry Performance Fabric Protector" silicone waterproofing spray sold at Wally World.

Stuff the pistol in & go away for a full 24 hours or until the smell of the silicone spray is gone, whichever happens last.

Use CLEAR hard wax KiWi shoe polish or Pledge furniture polish on the outside, just as you would polish shoes.

It actually slightly custom fits, but mostly it just slicks up the inside & feeds the outside, but it feels way, way slicker without softening the leather.

Looks nice too!

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old July 9, 2014, 05:53 AM   #6
BoogieMan

Thanks for the input. I hope I havent moved beyond the point of no return. More than anything I am trying to get rid of that new leather look.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old July 9, 2014, 09:33 AM   #7
BarryLee

Ok, I think I understand what you are asking. I have an older leather briefcase which has developed a nice patina and it looks much better than it did new. However, I’m not really sure the best way to accelerate this process without damaging the leather.

You might do a Google search; also consider looking at how cowboy style shooters and other historical re-enactors age their leathers. You might post in the Blackpowder and Cowboy Action Shooting forum here and see if you get any good ideas.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old July 9, 2014, 11:23 AM   #8
wogpotter

OK we're looking at cosmetic aging, not functional break in. Now I understand.

Try this.
Soak the holster in warm (blood heat) water with a little baking soda dissolved in it. The water should stay long enough for it to change color (probably a purplish color).
Rinse in cold tap water to remove any bicarb residue.
Remove from the water & dry with paper towels both inside & out.
Spray the gun thoroughly with WD-40 & put it in 2X 1-galon baggies. Now shove the WD saturated gun & baggies in the holster. Leave it there at least overnight. feel free to press the wet leather into the gun shape inside it but don't let your nails touch the soft leather. You can speed the drying process with a hair dryer if you like but time is the trick.

When dry use clear shoe polish inside & out.

Should look like this:

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”