The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 26, 2009, 03:29 PM   #1
Homerboy

VTAc Sling not So Great on my Shotgun

Have a V-Tac sling on my AR and love it. On my shotgun, it really isn't working well. First of all, the sling adapter just behind the trigger guard, so when I shoulder the gun, the sling is in my face. Secondlt, I have a sidesaddle on the gun. Don't know if this is what is causing it, but when I allow the weapon to hang, the left side of the receiver is pointing straight up, so the weapon is not flat agianst my body. I'm thinking that since the sling adapter is pointing that way, it forces the gun to hang the way it does. Anyone have these troubles with this sling in this configuration. I have another AR. Maybe I'll put the sling on that one. here's a pic.

Old December 26, 2009, 11:50 PM   #2
L-2

So far, I've found some variation of a standard 2-point sling works best for me. Methods of attaching the slings vary slightly on each of my shotguns. The Vtac-type slings, although being a 2-point variation, just don't work as well for the standard shotgun.

Something like this (thewilderness.com) works best for me along with the appropriate weapon handling techniques for this setup.

On the one you've pictured, I noticed it doesn't have the sling swivel on the barrel clamp.

A bottom or side mount, depending on preference, can work for the front, with a standard sling swivel installed into the bottom or side of the stock near the buttpad for the rear mount point. Definitely use the side mount plate if a Surefire fore-end light is ever to be used.
You've already found out a drawback regarding the sling mount between receiver & stock, which might work for some, especially using a single point sling, but not for others.

Last edited by L-2; December 26, 2009 at 11:57 PM.
Old December 27, 2009, 06:48 AM   #3
Homerboy

Yeah, the newer 870's come with the sling stud in the mag clamp. Mine never did. I could get one from Remington, but I can't drill into the end of the stock to put in a stud since its a synthetic stock and is hollow.