The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 15, 1999, 10:21 AM   #1
Bill Hebert

I've noticed that Dillon now stocks recoil buffers that are "simple" to install and supposedly keeps the gun from getting "beat up" from metal to metal contact when the bolt contacts the receiver after each round. In theory it sounds logical...Has anyone used the products in the 10/22 or mini 14 and found that they improve action of the rifles?
They are fairly cheap and if they extend the life of my rifles, I would consider one. Any experience/comments would be appreciated. Thanks, Bill.
Old December 15, 1999, 10:53 AM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

All semi-autos that have metal-to-metal contack are designed for it. Sometimes, the "bounce" of the bolt off the metal stop is needed for proper functioning. Try a buffer if you want, but they are basically to prevent wear on the shooter's mind, not on the gun, and very often cause problems.

Jim
Old December 15, 1999, 03:12 PM   #3
ShooterDave

Any more takers on this topic?

I'd sure like to hear some experiences since I really would like to take the recoil buffer off of my 1911 if it's not doing any good--with it on, you can't release the slide by pulling it back.

[This message has been edited by ShooterDave (edited December 15, 1999).]
Old December 15, 1999, 04:29 PM   #4
G. Kennedy

I just put a new recoil spring in my 1911 every couple thousand rounds. Cheap insurance and you don't have to worry about your gun getting beat up. I quit using shokbuffs for about two years now and I don't see any problems with my 1911. I do the same thing with my Beretta 92 also, every couple thousand rounds it gets a new spring.
Old December 15, 1999, 07:24 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

Hi, guys,

On the 1911 type, the slide impacts the recoil spring guide, which is backed by the frame. There is seldom any problem. Frames (especially alloy) are cracked forward of the slide stop pin hole by the slide stop pin absorbing the forward momentum of the slide and transferring that impact to the frame.

A stronger than standard spring actually exacerbates this problem, so while it seems to relieve one problem, it creates another.

Jim
Old December 18, 1999, 07:58 PM   #6
Jeff OTMG

I have been happy with the Sprinco recoil reducers. Depending on your load you can actually use a 12 - 14 pound mainspring, just enough to get the slide closed, so it does not damage the frame. The buffer takes away the shock to the frame.