The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 17, 2013, 05:45 PM   #1
mohr308

Match primers for hunting rounds

In Sierras reloading info they list match primers as the component used in their testing for hunting rounds. Would a match primer be safe to use in a hunting round for a .270 in the northeast, it does get cold up here. I have federal LR and LR match primers. I did load some ammo for an OCW test using the match primers, but I'm afraid the data will be useless if I switch them to regular primers. Any input would be nice.
Old August 17, 2013, 05:55 PM   #2
TheBear

what the hell are "match primers"?
Old August 17, 2013, 06:06 PM   #3
mohr308

http://www.federalpremium.com/products/components.aspx

GM210M these are the match primers.
Old August 17, 2013, 06:58 PM   #4
math teacher

Match primers are made for competition. The priming material, which is a paste, is installed by a highly experienced technician to give them a slightly higher degree of consistency. They should be fine, though unnecessarily expensive, for hunting. If you use regular primers, start at the beginning load and work your way up watching for signs of excess pressure.
Old August 17, 2013, 07:13 PM   #5
dahermit

According to Federal, their match primers are of the exact same composition as their standard large rifle primers. Supposedly they set aside time and effort to make them unusually uniform (but the same as standard primers) for competition purposes. Therefore, if you have used Federal Large Rifle primers in the cold and found them satisfactory, you can use Federal Match Large Rifle primers in the exact, same way. Although I use Federal Match Primers in all my rifle applications, I continue to doubt they are any different or better than the standard Federal primers...they just get more money for them. The process of taking more care in the manufacture of "Match" primers, begs the question: Why do they do an admittedly more sloppy job on the standard primers?
Old August 17, 2013, 08:46 PM   #6
firewrench044

I have been using CCI match primers in my hunting loads, they work fine !

depending on your load and temp. you may need to use a magnum primer
ball powders are harder to ignite than stick powders and can cause problems
in cold temp. or less than 80% case fill
( in my hunting loads(308, 3006, 8MM) I use stick powder(4895,Varget, 4064 and have had no problems)

if you are going to use a ball powder in cold temp. work up your load with a magnum primer to avoid any problems
( slow fires, squibs, bullet in the barrel and powder not ignited )
Old August 17, 2013, 08:55 PM   #7
4runnerman

I use br and mag primers in everything i load. All my load development was done with those primers. Standard primers wll not handle a hot load. Bench and Match primers will be needed
Old August 18, 2013, 02:45 AM   #8
TheBear

Quote:
Standard primers wll not handle a hot load. Bench and Match primers will be needed
I dont think so, ive shot lots of very hot loads and won enough competitions without even knowing something like a match primer exists. I know some guys (like my best friend) who won tons of br competitions and they all use standard primers.
My opinion: those "match" primers are a rip off for people who are willing to pay much more to get the same as long as its called "match-anything"

For the OP:
Get yourself some normal primers and dont waste your money. using those "match" primers for your hunting load will work just fine though.
Old August 18, 2013, 05:03 AM   #9
Mike / Tx

I have loads which use them all, match, standard and magnum. I load which ever shoots the tightest groups.

Some match primers give a bit more consistency to a particular loads, which when shooting longer ranges comes into play. Shooting within 2-300yds however unless I am working on a squirrel or coyote load I don't sweat it much.

The mag primers really come into play with a full case of slow burning powder or when your loading upwards of 70'ish grains or more per case. Even then however sometimes you will find better accuracy with a standard than a mag.

If however you start off with a standard and most any medium burn rate powder your probably not going to see much if any benefit to your groups and they should light off just fine in most any hunting conditions. IF your concerned with extreme cold start off with Win/WLR and be done with it. They are a bit hotter than most standards and a little cooler than most magnums, and work well over a very wide range of loads.
Old August 18, 2013, 06:49 PM   #10
reynolds357

They are pretty much the same, but the match stuff is the most consistent lots.
Old August 18, 2013, 08:23 PM   #11
dahermit

Quote:
They are pretty much the same, but the match stuff is the most consistent lots.
So the manufactures would have us believe. However, have you actually done some testing with a chronograph to prove it? That is all I ask...proof.
Old August 18, 2013, 08:32 PM   #12
4runnerman

Match and magnum primers have a thicker cup for high pressure loads.

TheBear--- count your blessings then. I was not so fortunate as you. 6MMBR, 1000 yard Match, Standard CCI-400 Primers, ended my match early due to standard primers.
30.5 gns RL-15. I will tell you now,,,standard primers will not handle that load,BR-4's and 450'S,,,not a issue. I use no standard primers in any of my loads any more.
Old August 19, 2013, 11:53 AM   #13
mohr308

I appreciate all the info, I guess I won't worry about using them.
Old August 19, 2013, 12:38 PM   #14
reynolds357

4 runner, match std primers have the same cups as non match standard. Magnum match has the same cup as non match magnum. As far as that goes, in most of the commercial companies STD and Magnum have the same cup anyway. Generally speaking, a Magnum does not create more pressure than a standard round. Look at the pressures in your loading data. A magnum primer is used to light a large column of slow burning powder. Has nothing to do with pressure. Trying to swap rifle and pistol is where you run into your cup differences.
Old August 19, 2013, 01:13 PM   #15
old roper

reynolds357,

Depending on the rifle case changing for standard rifle primer in mag rifle primer can increase velocity using same load and this happens in a non mag case.
NRA Life Member
Old August 19, 2013, 01:50 PM   #16
schmellba99

As far as construction goes, there is no difference in the materials used in magnum, match or standard primers - same cup, same anvil, same priming paste.

There "might" be more QC or more consistency involved with the Match line by the manufacturer. Then again, it could be something as simple as a marketing scheme used to justify charging more.

I cannot speak for every rifle load, but there are some that the published data does not differentiate between magnum or standard primers. The load data for a .45-70 in the current Speer load manual is one such animal - their load says either CCI 200 or CCI 250 primers for the listed load.

Magnum primers, my understanding anyway, were designed to burn a touch hotter to ignite powder such as ball, loads that would have enough of an air gap that when the shell was placed horizontal the primer flume may not hit the base of the powder column like it would on a much more full load charge, or powders designed to burn hotter and faster in magnum cartridges.
Old August 19, 2013, 02:26 PM   #17
4runnerman

4 runner, match std primers have the same cups as non match standard. Magnum match has the same cup as non match magnum. As far as that goes, in most of the commercial companies STD and Magnum have the same cup anyway. Generally speaking, a Magnum does not create more pressure than a standard round. Look at the pressures in your loading data. A magnum primer is used to light a large column of slow burning powder. Has nothing to do with pressure. Trying to swap rifle and pistol is where you run into your cup differences

Not true
Standard Primer.Cup thickness- .020
Match and Magnum Primers cup thickness - .025
Old August 19, 2013, 02:31 PM   #18
reynolds357

Old Roper, I am quite aware of that. You are lighting the column of powder with a stronger, and most importantly longer explosion. None of that changes the fact that maximum working pressure for a cartridge is the same no matter what primer lights it. A 6mm Remington has a maximum pressure of 65,000 PSi. Whether you light it with a STD or a MAG primer, you best not exceed 65,000 by much.
Old August 19, 2013, 03:35 PM   #19
4runnerman

A 6mm Remington has a maximum pressure of 65,000 PSi. Whether you light it with a STD or a MAG primer, you best not exceed 65,000 by much.

That is totally moot in this convesation reynold. PSi is determined by the amout of powder and such. A mag primer will ignite with more pressure and more intense flame.
Old August 19, 2013, 04:27 PM   #20
old roper

Reynolds357 , You might want to read this

http://riflemansjournal.blogspot.com...mer-study.html
NRA Life Member
Old August 19, 2013, 06:25 PM   #21
reynolds357

Neither or you is actually reading what I am writing.
Given a certain powder charge, a magnum primer will ignite that charge in a manner that will generally generate more pressure. If you read back through this thread, I said a standard and a magnum primer are designed to work at the same pressures. A magnum primer will not withstand more pressure than a Std. primer will.
Old August 19, 2013, 07:38 PM   #22
4runnerman

A magnum primer will not withstand more pressure than a Std. primer

Reynolds-You were right all the way up to your last sentence. A magnm primer will with stand more. That is why you use them in hot loads instead of standard primers.

Point--- My 6MMBR- 30.5 gns RL-15-- standard primer-pierced primers-ALWAYS ,same load CCI 450's or BR-4's- No pierced primers ever. The cup is thicker to with stand higher pressure loads. Where are you getting this info you are posting?.

Check 6br web sight- all loads for long range shooting heavy bullets, either br or match primers. Only time they are not used is in varmint loads,light bullets.
Old August 19, 2013, 08:45 PM   #23
old roper

reynolds357, I fully understand what your talking about but just disagree with it.

I see no point in getting into a contest about.
NRA Life Member
Old August 20, 2013, 10:40 AM   #24
reynolds357

4 runnerman. Please explain to me how a Federal std and mag primer that both use the same cup can withstand differing amounts of pressure. I am not aware of any manufacturer that uses different cups in their current production primers.
A standard primer has to be manufactured to withstand the same pressures as a magnum primer. Know why? Many non-magnum cartridges generate the same pressure as magnums. Magnum does not reference pressure. Magnum is an arbitrary term that is used to denote a bigger, faster cartridge. You had the .270 Win. then WBY came up with a magnum version of it. You had the .38 colt, someone lengthened the case and came up with the .357 Magnum.
Magnum does not denote "high pressure." If you believe it does, you need to read a SAAMI specifications list.
Old August 20, 2013, 04:29 PM   #25
buck460XVR

Quote:
A standard primer has to be manufactured to withstand the same pressures as a magnum primer. Know why? Many non-magnum cartridges generate the same pressure as magnums. Magnum does not reference pressure. Magnum is an arbitrary term that is used to denote a bigger, faster cartridge. You had the .270 Win. then WBY came up with a magnum version of it. You had the .38 colt, someone lengthened the case and came up with the .357 Magnum.
In many cases, the only reason one uses a Magnum Primer is to light harder to ignite powders. Many powders that do not need a magnum primer to ignite them will produce as much or more pressure than those powders that do. While a magnum primer may raise the pressure and velocity of a given powder charge over those created by a standard primer igniting the charge, one doesn't use a magnum primer just cause that's in the calibers name. It is not the caliber per say that determines whether you use a magnum primer or not, but the powder you are using. Some companies do use a thicker cup for their magnum primers and some don't. There are charts on the web that show this. The biggest thing is to use the appropriate primer for your application.

Here's a good read..........http://www.jamescalhoon.com/primers_and_pressure.php