The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Closed Thread

Old August 22, 2012, 08:19 AM   #26
BIG P

Well,I guess cause I dont think anyone else is going to fill my freezer with deer & hog. And I'm from & live in the country So ive been killing stuff & dragging it home for years.Been hunting & fishing skinning & scaling for the family & friends along time,its kind of nice knowing I dont have to go to the store everytime I want something to eat.Had people tell me I was Country as hell aint ya? Yes I am and proud of it !!!!!!
Old August 22, 2012, 09:41 AM   #27
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Hard to break a seventy-year habit. First cold spell, I'll go to rubbing on the headboard of my bed, getting rid of the rest of the velvet.
Old August 22, 2012, 09:54 AM   #28
kraigwy

I hunt so I can have the best snow men in elk camp.

I hunt for the companionship

I hunt so my granddaughter will have a quite place to do her home work.

That is when she isn't bombarding me with snow balls when I'm glassing a hill side or cooking thick chocolate pancakes, raw in the middle and burned on the outside.

Mainly I hunt so I can spend quality time with my favorite goofy little hunting partner before she out grows me.

Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old August 22, 2012, 10:01 AM   #29
Vince44

Quote:
WHY HUNT ??
I love hunting. Been doing it since I was a kid with a BB gun shooting birds. Don't hunt what I don't eat. Hunt deer, turkey, squirrel, rabbit, pheasant, grouse, etc. Now we did hunt ground hog as kids, but that was because they tore up the farmers fields. A lot of my friends were farmers and their kids so consequently we had permission to hunt just about everywhere. Not like that anymore.
Old August 22, 2012, 03:15 PM   #30
Mayor Al

As I said in my Original Post. I hunt for meat, or to prevent damage to my property.

We will do a 'Canned Hunt' next month in Missouri for a couple of large Hogs and an Axis Doe for my wife. It is sort of a rehearsal hunt under controlled environment for her first ever deer hunt. If it works for her, then we will do open deer hunting here in Indiana later this year. These are definitely 'meat-providers' for us. While at the same time giving us a chance to see if she 'feels right' about get out into the woods on a stalking hunt.

I would love to add an Elk to our list for this hunt, but the extra $1500 is a bit out of reach for us at this point.

For me the days of humping thru the woods for a few days are gone by, but getting out for a day, then lying about how good we were that evening in the lodge over a hot dinner and a cold beer works for me just fine. She and I work well together, and sharing this 'novice' experience with another 'senior couple' will make it a fun time with lots of meat to show for it (we hope).

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I feel more confident that there are more meat-users out there than perhaps I thought, at first.
Old August 22, 2012, 03:45 PM   #31
shortwave

Quote:
I feel more confident that there are more meat-users out there than perhaps I thought, at first.
Predicting what the price of domestic meat is going to be this time next year due to the drought, I'd expect there will be alot more 'meat- users' out there then normal.
I, for one, plan on sticking an extra 1-2 for the freezer.
Old August 23, 2012, 12:13 PM   #32
doofus47

I'm on a personal boycott: I've stopped watching hunting shows until they show the shooter packing out a 100#s on his own back--and making 2 trips that last into the night.

I'm a meat hunter. I love the flavor of elk (and deer), but just getting out into the backcountry for 5-7 days is heaven enough.

I have huge respect for bow hunters, but I"m too old to learn a new skill set like that! You kids are real hunters. Muzzleloading is the closest I'll get.

good luck to you all this year
Old August 25, 2012, 10:22 AM   #33
farmerboy

I hunt because for one I Love it and two it feeds my family and me. I dont shoot the biggest around, I usually look for the does or smaller bucks. Im looking out in the front yard and watching a doe and her young un in front mealing around. yes I'll kill coons, possums, anything really distroying property but I guess its in my genes, I love to hunt.
Old August 25, 2012, 11:28 AM   #34
Mayor Al

Doofus,
I am with you. I get two of the 'outdoorsy' channels on Direct TV, and used to watch a lot of the stuff...but now I try to sort out the infomercials from the freaks and the gun sponsored shows. I have tried to watch some of the hog-hunting stuff but find is it more like a reality talent show with dogs and knives flying everywhere. Luckily I am learning to sort the BS from the programs that will teach me something. But most really are just junk these days.
Old August 25, 2012, 12:11 PM   #35
farmerboy

I've also watched hunting shows for years and am rather fed up with them now. They don't show what hunting is all about. Everyone is concerned about high fences and huge racks not really about the outdoors, the hunt in general, the comrardeary, the memories made and everything else. I prefer to go out and make my own instead of watching others.
Old August 26, 2012, 11:30 PM   #36
sc928porsche

Egad guys, bear meat is good. Some people dont like elk or moose or deer. If you don't like eating it, don't shoot it. Unless of course it is something that is creating a lot of damage.
Old August 26, 2012, 11:34 PM   #37
jimbob86

Why hunt?

Why breathe?
Old August 27, 2012, 08:05 AM   #38
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

We've pretty well answered the OP's question, looks like...
Closed Thread