The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old September 22, 1999, 06:54 PM   #1
JLR

George Stringer sent me to you in hopes of identifying my Sterlingworth 12 Ga. There are no marks on the gun other than it was made in Philidelphia and what I'm assuming is a serial number, 52125, on the trigger gaurd and inside of the break apart area.
Any idea how old it is? What is it's worth. Is one barrel choked differently than the other?
Any help you could give me would be appriciated. Thanks.

Old September 22, 1999, 11:27 PM   #2
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

JLR
According to my records,your shotgun was made by the A.H. Fox company of Philadelphia, PA.

Ansley H. Fox established the Fox Gun Company in Baltimore in 1896. Seubsequently, he made arms under the name Philidelphia Gun Company. As of 1905 he operated under the name A.H. Fox. In 1930 he sold the company to Savage Arms Company who continued to mfg all grades of Fox shotgun. As of 1942 the Savage Company only made the plainer grades.

STERLINGWORTH
12, 16, or 20 ga dbl bbl boxlock dbl bbl shotgun with 26" 28" or 30" bbls, dbl triggers and extractors. Mfg'd from 1911-1946

I have restocked many of these shotguns and they are one of the better dbl guns. I own one and would't sell it for anything.

Chokes were normally full,and modified.
Current Values:
Esc=$1,250 to poor=$275.00

HJN

[This message has been edited by Harley Nolden (edited September 23, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by Harley Nolden (edited September 23, 1999).]