The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 6, 2008, 08:40 PM   #1
CharlieG

navy cylinder alignment

I recently dug my unfired Pietta .44 steel frame navy out of the closet. I bought it 7 years ago more as a something to display than shoot. I decided it needed to be shot.

I gave it a good cleaning and cringed because the rust fairy had paid a visit.
It looks good now aside from a bit of marring due to the removal of the wedge.
I tried to be careful,I broke several dowels and turned a few pennies into squares trying to get that thing out. I finally used a punch. I know, stupid.

Anyway, my problem is when I use my bore light to look down the barrel, I see that the chambers and the barrel don't quite match up. It seems to be worse on some than others. If I had to guess, I'd say it's a bit less than a 32nd on the worst chamber. Is this normal? Is it safe to fire?
Old August 6, 2008, 10:20 PM   #2
mykeal

Unfortunately, what you describe was not uncommon on some early Pietta revolvers. They had quality control problems which have reportedly been corrected on their current products.

The gun should be safe to shoot. The misalignments you describe could, and probably will, result in some lead shaving and leading in the bore but are unlikely to damage the gun or cause injury (I'd suggest you not allow anyone to stand next to you while shooting, however).

Just to be sure, though, in case your estimates of the amount of misalignment is in error, I'd have a gunsmith check it out first.
Old August 7, 2008, 09:11 PM   #3
Hawg

Sounds like it might be out of time. Cock the hammer fully and see if you can turn the cylinder to full lockup by hand. If it's already locked take a wooden dowel that just will fit down the bore and see if it enters the chambers. If not it needs work. FWIW, the CAS shooters over at SASS say the new Piettas are better than new Ubertis. Seems Ubertis QC has gone downhill in the last couple of years.
Old August 8, 2008, 12:09 AM   #4
CharlieG

First off, Thanks for the help guys.

I took your advice Hawg, but I used a small plastic rod. The cat is angry, but hey, his toy was a perfect match for the bore It would not hang up on the cylinder at all. I also made sure it was properly going to full lockup and it was. I think maybe I was making a mountain out of a mole hill. I plan on taking it out this Sunday and I'll give a range report.

Last edited by CharlieG; August 8, 2008 at 01:11 AM.
Old August 10, 2008, 01:21 AM   #5
Smokin_Gun

CharlieG,

You can also lock the cylinder to fully cocked and hold the rear towards daylight or use a flashlite or Oil lantern from the side or at barrel and chamber. And look down the barrel to see if the cone flash hole is centered in each chamber, if there's a cresent of a moon showin' you may have a problem. Sometimes only one chamber can be off. I'm sure yours is fine but thought you'd like the method.

SG
Admin:http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php