The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old September 16, 2005, 05:45 PM   #26
sendec

The Surefire spares carrier makes toting extra bulbs and batteries super easy. Well worth the price.

The poymer holster is more secure than it looks, though my preference is to use nylon cases that cover and protect the lens, when it isnt clipped to my pocket.
Old September 16, 2005, 11:01 PM   #27
Teufelhunden

To set this in context I own a Surefire G2 Nitrolon, a C2 Centurion, and a 9AN Commander. I also own the Inova X5, the T2 and the T3.

Having identified what my experiences are, I consider the Inova T3 to be superior to the C2 and G2 in terms of light. The T2 is a great task light with its 4 hour run-time, but it isn't as bright as the other lights. Not that it isn't bright, it just isn't AS bright. When I replaced it on my duty belt with the T3, I mounted it on my shotgun, where it provides more than enough light at practical shotgun ranges.

The 9AN and T3 live on my duty belt and I carry the C2 daily out of uniform. The C2 is convenient for daily carry with its pocket clip, and I like the flat sides of the light as I favor the Surefire/Rogers flashlight shooting technique. It is also slightly shorter than the T3. If I could find a light that gave me a beam like the T3 in a C2 body, that would be perfect.

I buy my batteries directly from Surefire for $15/box of 12. I've always had great experiences with their batteries which convinces me to stay away from some of the cheaper brands with which I have not had as much success.

I did all of my research at Flashlightreviews, and continue to consider that site a wonderful resource.

Lastly, if you desire a Surefire product, but S/F doesn't have one in stock and won't for a while (which is fairly common now what with the war and all) check out LPS Tactical. I have had great success with them and they stock S/F products for about cost. They had a new bulb for my S/F 9AN at my door in 4 days when Surefire's customer reps told me it would take 2-4 MONTHS for them to get one to me.

Questions are welcome.

-Teuf

"One hundred rounds do not constitute firepower. One hit contitutes firepower." -Gen. Merritt Edson, USMC
Old September 17, 2005, 10:52 AM   #28
Mike40-11

Anybody else try the Streamlights? I have a Streamlight TL-2, which is more or less equivalent to the Surefire 6P.

I've been happy with it, but haven't heard much about anythig but Surefires.
Old September 18, 2005, 03:44 PM   #29
SomeKid

First of all, to those who helped me so far, thanks.

I read Surefire has a lifetime warranty, but could not confirm it on their website, was that smoke blown at me?

As of now, I am strongly considering getting a G2, a bunch of disposable batteries because with a 10 year shelf life, they will last a long time, and a V25 holster for it.

Any last minute ideas/recommendations are always appreciated.
Old September 19, 2005, 07:49 AM   #30
Evader1

Well I went to the gun show over the weekend and got a holster for the G2. Little bulky, but works great and didn't notice it while in the field Sat evening. Was also checking out the other Surefire products. Some great lights, was looking at getting one of the LED one's, but it was $80.
Old September 19, 2005, 08:27 AM   #31
shooter1

I have a couple of the Streamlight Scorpions that I bought at a gunshow for $20 each, w/batteries. I buy the Sanyo CR123A batteries for under a buck each. I have no complaints with Streamlight products, I have carried a Streamlight Stinger on my duty belt for over four years. I just ordered a new battery for it last week. The original one still works, just doesn't charge up as well as it should, so the light is a bit yellow. The Surfire lights are coming down in price now, and are worth consideration.
str1
Old September 19, 2005, 10:59 PM   #32
Malamute

I have a Surefire E2E Executive Elite, a 6P, and a G2. Also have a Streamlight Skorpion.

My first advice is AVOID THE OTHER BRANDS OF BATTERIES LIKE THE PLAGUE!!! I've used other brands, including Panasonic, and they run FAR less time than the Surefire batteries. I buy 2 or 3 boxes of batteries at a time, and a spare lamp or two when I order, the shipping price is $5 whether you buy one thing or several, so I get as much as I can at one time.

My favorite light is the E2E, it's smaller and lighter than the others, and has the Pyrex lens that is scratch proof. It also has the lockout tail cap that prevents accidental discharge. I have the 25 lumen lamp from the E2O Outdoorsman. This gives double the run time as the regular 50 lumen lamp.

I've replaced lamps perhaps 2 or 3 times a year in my E2E, and go through a set of batteries about every 3 to 4 weeks, for reference sake. I use my light quite a bit. Spare lamps are about $17. Sort of pricey, but for the light output and quality of light, that is, no holes, I feel they are worthwhile.

I have the 120 lumen lamp in the 6P in the truck, it is incredibly bright. Also have the regular 60 lumen lamp for a spare for it, and for the G2

The skorpion is a good light, producing a very bright beam, is focusable to a sharp point, and has a spare bulb inside, but it is not the same quality light as the surefire. I've had the rubber coating come loose on mine, and it tastes awful when you need to put the light in your mouth to do something with both hands free. I keep the Skorpion as a bedside light.

I second the recomendation for the surefire spares carrier. They make 2 different models, one is a 6 battery carrier and holds a spare lamp for the G2 and 6P size lights, the next one is a 4 battery carrier, and holds a spare lamp for the E2E size lights (slightly smaller lamp). Both carriers are good items, but get the size that will hold the lamp size for you light, they won't hold a lamp for the other size.

Oh, almost forgot. I carry my light in the leg pocket of my Carhartt pants. Hvane't lost it in about 2 years. Also carry one of the others in a coat pocket in winter.
Old September 20, 2005, 07:20 AM   #33
SomeKid

Mal, where is a good place to buy the extras carrier? Maybe I just totally walked by it, but I don't remember seeing it.

I also went ahead and bought a G2, a V25 case, and 12 spare bats. But I am sure I will need more soon , so a spare carrier/bulb is definatly going to be a good thing to purchase.
Old September 20, 2005, 08:09 AM   #34
Evader1

glad to hear you got one somekid. Was using mine last night during some exercises. Let me know what you think. What color did you get on the G2 by the way?
Old September 20, 2005, 08:45 AM   #35
Malamute

I bought my spares carriers from Surefire.
Old September 20, 2005, 01:02 PM   #36
SomeKid

Evad, black. I never did get on the wagon train for the 'cool' colored OD crap. I like straight black. It has nothing to do with the fact that black things hide kool-aid stains.
Old September 20, 2005, 01:16 PM   #37
Derius_T

/flamesuit on

Just one question. Whats wrong with good old standard MAG-LITE in 4 or 6 D-Cell configuration? Super bright (with right bulb), nearly indestructable, waterproof, and makes one hell of a club in a pinch......
Old September 20, 2005, 01:49 PM   #38
SomeKid

Take the flame suit off, it won't be needed.

I have a good mag-lite, nice sized 3D. I carry it at times, when I am unarmed and need a club. However, being as I can carry armed, I have no need for the bulky thing.

I want something smaller that does the same thing, and Surefires are reputable. Just bought 3 spare head lamps, more batteries, and one of there little carriers. I am totally set on the light front now.
Old September 20, 2005, 01:54 PM   #39
Evader1

Black? Good choice. I got the same color too. as far as Mag's go. I like them as well. I have 2 of the smaller version ones. I keep one in my car in a pinch and one next to my bed if the lights go out. But there's just nothing like that Surefire though, especially on a dark nite. I used the mag lite first, then the Surefire (I know, not a fair comparison) and just nice knowing you've got that much light in a small package
Old September 20, 2005, 02:35 PM   #40
mec360

You can buy rechargeable lithium ion batteries that fit in Surefires here:
https://www.jsburlys.com/shop/

Guilt-free lumens! You can use your CR123 powered lights as much as you want; just recharge the batteries.
Old September 20, 2005, 07:19 PM   #41
tINY

U2 Ultra

I like my U2 ultra - it's a little bulkier, but the 100 lumen LED will dim, making it useful for such pedestrian tasks and finding you keys or reading a map without destroying your night vision.

-tINY

Old September 21, 2005, 09:13 AM   #42
Malamute

"Just one question. Whats wrong with good old standard MAG-LITE in 4 or 6 D-Cell configuration? Super bright (with right bulb), nearly indestructable, waterproof, and makes one hell of a club in a pinch......"

No flame, just comment.

I've used mag-lites for years. Once I got a really good light the mag-lites have set and gathered dust. The new lights are brighter than a mag lite with any bulb, don't have the holes in the light pattern, and are light and small enough to carry all the time. (think your 6D cell light with krypton bulb, ADD more brightness, and in a package the size of a min-mag lite) So bright that the value as a weapon is the brightness, rather than as a head knocker. The sure-fire bulbs are tougher than the old type also. I've dropped mine many times, and other than one time I dropped my sure-fire on my steel truck bumper, (it quit a couple days later)I believe my lamp failures have been from long use. seemed like about every time I dropped a mag-lite or mini-mag on the ground or floor it would need a new bulb.
Old September 21, 2005, 11:01 AM   #43
blackmind

I just returned home from vacation, and the battery set I ordered from the Battery Station (see earlier post for link) had arrived. I ordered the set that includes 12 batteries in a smallish Pelican (1040) watertight case. The case comes with the batteries inserted in neat little holes, and it has a cutout for a flashlight to be carried there, too. The cost was $35, but with shipping, the total was $41.95.

From here on, I will be buying their CR123A batteries at the crazy low price of $1.25 per battery. (They sell them in orders of 10.)

I, too, was shocked to see that these batteries sell at store like Walmart for more than SIX DOLLARS PER BATTERY! I would have none of that. That's insane.

I'm certainly glad for cheap online sources.

-blackmind
Old September 21, 2005, 11:05 AM   #44
Malamute

Let us know how the batteries hold up. My experience with non-Surefire batteries has not been good. They are the same price $1.25ea, from Surefire when bought by the box of 12.
Old September 21, 2005, 11:10 AM   #45
blackmind

Well, I don't know who actually manufactures the Battery Station batteries. As seen on the link, they are blue and say "Battery Station" on them. I have nothing to go on as yet, since they're not even in my flashlight yet. I also am not likely to do a test run of "how long do they light up the flashlight" the way some here would probably do out of curiousity. So I won't likely get a true sense of their run time.

I certainly hope you are not talking about crappy power output, and I hope even more so that you're not talking about ruptures/leakages!

But if you say that a tried-and-tested source like Surefire has them for $1.25 also, I will look into ordering replacements from them instead.

-blackmind
Old September 21, 2005, 11:17 AM   #46
Malamute

I've used Panasonic, and one other brand (can recall which brand), and found that when a Surefire battery gives me several hours of use, the Panasonic gave me about 10-15 minutes.

Surefire claims that they tried every lithium battey on the market, found the best, and have all their batteries made for them by that company. I don't know who the maker is, but I'm sure it isn't Panasonic.

Surefire charges $5 shipping, no matter how many boxes of batteries and lights you get at once. I guess I should say within reason, they only charge $5. If you ordered a pallet, they may charge more shipping.
Old September 21, 2005, 12:15 PM   #47
Derius_T

I dunno, maybe I'm not 'tactical' enough.

I might try one of these newer lights, if they are that much better, but the prices seem a little steep for a flashlight. I don't need a flashlight that makes me look like a car dealership running a special. The only thing I can find slightly annoying about the mag-lites, is the blank spots, or the ability to form a tighter light beam. They kinda light up the room at large.

Maybe I'll try one. I'd like to test one out first to see if it would be worth the money....how well they hold up......how long batteries last, ect....
Old September 21, 2005, 03:55 PM   #48
Malamute

For a starter light, I'd go with a Streamlight Skorpion, or a Surefire G3 nitrolon. My first really good light was the Skorpion, which I still have. I like my E2E best, but for the price, The Skorpion is a very good light.

I think I'll get another Skorpion for a spare.

Oh, and battery life won't be very good at first, because you'll be playing with it a lot in amazment of how bright it is, and showing it to other people. The battery life will be much better when the new wears off.
Old September 22, 2005, 12:12 PM   #49
GodofWar

UN-Surefire

I tryed many lights out there on the job,(LEO and overseas)and I must say,Surefire lights are crap...i have 2..the bulbs dont last
when you drop it,and the bulbs dont last when you dont,plus there expensive..and on one I had,the bulb actually melted the lens.It doesnt matter if they have a lifetime warranty ,or they will send you a new lens in 24hrs,or that someone carrys spare batterys and lenses,when the SHTF and your light aint lit..Its your life and I wouldnt have it depend on a UN-surefire
For now I only carry Streamlight now,(mainly the stinger),they are the best in my opinion,you can drop it,throw it,hit someone over the head with it(j/k) and they still work...
Surefire has the colorful advertising,thats about it

Last edited by GodofWar; September 22, 2005 at 12:22 PM. Reason: spelling
Old September 22, 2005, 01:04 PM   #50
Evader1

godofwar, how good is the light on the streamlight? I mean does it have a good beam and is it very bright?