The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 27, 2013, 10:30 PM   #1
abowlieb

did i make a mistake? new to reloading

Ok I'm using the Lyman 49th edition manual. I used the the 30-06 150gr. Jacked sp info for my first load. I loaded 150gr nosler billistic tip. Am I able to fire these rounds using this info or is it unsafe? Sorry new to reloading n I do t have anyone to show me or ask. Thx
Old June 27, 2013, 10:31 PM   #2
abowlieb

Oh I was using IMR 4320, 47 grains.
Old June 27, 2013, 10:51 PM   #3
abowlieb

Everything else is the same. OAL and powder charge. Just wasn't sure if the ballistic tips being boat tail would effect the performance of the round n render it unusable.
Old June 27, 2013, 10:57 PM   #4
dmazur

I think you're asking if 150gr bullet load data is interchangeable between bullets of same weight, different manufacturer.

My Sierra manual shows for IMR4320 - 46.6gr starting / 52.6gr max for a variety of different 150gr Sierra bullets, ranging from RN to FMJBT. These are all jacketed bullets, not lead. The COL varies from type to type, but the load data is the same.

So, I would venture a "Yes" to your question, provided you can find a COL for a similar bullet. I believe the Hornady SST bullet dimensions are fairly close to the Nosler BT, so Hornady COL might work.

Also, it is generally true that COL isn't as critical for bottleneck cartridges as it is for something like 9mm pistol, as regards its affect on pressure. The concerns are -

1. It has to fit in your magazine, unless your rifle is something like a Ruger #1.
2. It has to not contact the rifling when it is chambered or high pressure can develop.

One way to determine COL for your rifle is to make a dummy round with the bullet deliberately seated long and seat it deeper in small increments until it just chambers (touching rifling). Then seat another 0.020" deeper. Set this aside and use it as an example when setting up your seating die for that bullet.
Old June 27, 2013, 11:16 PM   #5
abowlieb

Thx a lot for the info bro!
Old June 27, 2013, 11:45 PM   #6
dmazur

One more point -

You may already know this, but lead / jacketed / all-copper load data is different because of different friction developed by the different materials.

So cast bullets are going to have different data, even if they are the same weight as a jacketed bullet. I believe lead friction is lower, so less pressure. Substituting lead data for a jacketed bullet may cause dangerous overpressure.

And all-copper bullets (like Barnes) are going to have different data, even if they are the same weight as a jacketed bullet. I believe all-copper friction is higher, even with multiple grooves. Substituting jacketed data for an all-copper bullet may also cause dangerous overpressure.

But the main problem with jacketed bullet data substitution is COL. The ogive (the part that touches the rifling) is far closer to the point of a RN, for example, than it is for a FMJBT.

Using Sierra's COL's, the 150gr RN has a suggested COL of 3.000" (in .30-06, since that's what is being discussed.) But the 150gr FMJBT has a COL of 3.250".

If you develop a COL for your rifle for each bullet you reload, this won't be a problem. But if you use a COL for a bullet with a slimmer profile when seating a "stubby" bullet, you can unintentionally jam the bullet in the rifling.

And this "perfect storm" of dimensions won't happen every time. If it is grossly overlength, the round won't chamber. No problem. It is the combination of dimensions that just jams the bullet and permits the action to close...

Most manufacturer's COL's are designed to prevent this, for that particular bullet. And, unless your rifle has a short throat, things will be fine.

I'm aware your question didn't address all of this, but I believe it is a more complete answer...

Good luck.

Last edited by dmazur; June 28, 2013 at 12:32 AM. Reason: changed "wrong" to "overlength"
Old June 28, 2013, 12:19 AM   #7
tahunua001

you will end up with slight variations in pressure, velocity, bullet drop and wind drift but for the most part everything will be close to the same no matter the make and type of bullet you use, as long as you stay with the proper weight.
Old June 28, 2013, 02:34 PM   #8
steveNChunter

The jacketed spire point data in your manual was most likely a flat base bullet. A boat tail of approximately the same length can handle slightly more powder without getting excessive pressure so you should be fine using that data. You may be able to even up your powder charge a little if that's what you want to do. Just be sure not to load them any shorter than the listed OAL for that load unless you have no pressure signs after shooting the book load and i wouldnt go more than .005 at a time. Don't go more than a couple tenths at a time with the powder and watch for flattened primers, a sticky bolt, etc. Some rifles like to be loaded to the max but most of the limited experience I've had reloading I've found the best accuracy slightly below the max load. Always be very cautious at or above a listed max load and only change one thing at a time.
Old June 29, 2013, 01:48 PM   #9
SL1

Abowlieb,

Nosler rifle bullets have thicker jackets than many others. Although they look almost exactly like Hornady SST bullets for the same caliber and weight, the Noslers will typically produce higher pressures. At least, that has been my experience with them in the .270.

I looked in Nosler Manual #6, but did not find IMR 4320 powder listed with their 150 grain bullets in the .30-'06.

However, my older Nosler #2 manual does list IMR-4320 with their old "Solid Base" and Partition bullets. Considering that the new manual gives the same data for their Partition and Ballistic Tip bullets (which are just the "Solid Base" bullets with an added tip), I think you will be fine using the older data. That showes 49.0 grains for 2755 fps, 51.0 grains for 2862 fps, and max of 53.0 grains for 2933 fps, all velocities from Ruger Model 77 with a 22" barrel. The #2 manual says their best accuracy was with the middle charge.

However, the older #2 manual also has data for their 150 grain "Solid Base Match Bullet" that is lower. That is 47.0 grains for 2589 fps, 49.0 grains for 2695 fps and max of 51.0 grains for 2817 fps. The manual states that the 51.0 grain load was the most accurate for the "Match" bullet, too.

So, 47 grains of IMR-4320 sounds like it should be a safe-enough start charge with your 150 grain Ballistic Tip bullets in a sound .30-'06 bolt action rifle.

SL1
Old June 29, 2013, 04:12 PM   #10
grisbald

"Ok I'm using the Lyman 49th edition manual. I used the the 30-06 150gr. Jacked sp info for my first load. I loaded 150gr nosler billistic tip. Am I able to fire these rounds using this info or is it unsafe? Sorry new to reloading n I do t have anyone to show me or ask. Thx "

My Nosler book shows for the 150 gr. tip 49 grains of IMR4320 to staring load and 53 grains for max. They have an asterisk next to 49 grains which means that was their most accurate load tested.
Old June 29, 2013, 09:20 PM   #11
abowlieb

Thx for the info guys, I went n got a bullet puller n broke all the rounds down n used the nosler load data to do them over. I just want to do it all by the book. I'm ****** at myself I didn't catch the different bullets that at first. U guys been very helpful n I appreciate the help thx!