The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 28, 2013, 11:58 PM   #1
Machineguntony

Question on crimped .223 cases

I am a little bit confused. I just got a large order of .223 military brass. I have been reading that I need to decrimp .223 brass. But some people say that the Dillon 650 will simply punch the used primer out, and there is no need to decrimp if using a Dillon 650.

So do I need to swage the brass, with a decrimping tool, or can I forgo the decrimping and just reload using the Dillon 650?

Thanks.
Old June 29, 2013, 02:34 AM   #2
Jimro

Use the swaging tool. Any press will deprime milsurp brass. It is much tougher to get a fresh primer into that primer pocket without mucking it all to heck if you don't swage or ream the crimp away.

Jimro
Old June 29, 2013, 06:25 AM   #3
Farmland

Only the 1050 will swage the brass. You will need to swage each crimped primer pocket. It really adds to the prep time.
Old June 29, 2013, 07:38 AM   #4
4runnerman

yes it will need to be reamed if you want to call it that. 2 or 3 spins with a chamfer tool and your done.
Old June 29, 2013, 08:59 AM   #5
IDT

This video pretty much answers everything and gives you a way to make it happen fast:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naUQf1J6mi8
Old June 29, 2013, 09:02 AM   #6
Machineguntony

Awesome, gentlemen.

Thank you.

That video is awesome. Given a problem, human beings can solve pretty much anything.
Old June 29, 2013, 09:27 AM   #7
Nathan

Swaging is probably best, but Lyman's reamer bit works well chucked in a drill press or something else to hold the drill.
Old June 29, 2013, 10:58 AM   #8
mikld

I have been removing primer crimps in military brass for several years using a 60 degree countersink. I use it by hand (insert the countersink into the pocket and give the case two or three twists), with a power screwdriver (with a countersink with a hex shank), and with either a hand drill or drill press. I have had zero problems with my "de-crimped" brass, and the tool is available at most any hardware store (no need to find a gun store that handles reloading equip. or order on-line and wait)...
Old June 29, 2013, 12:09 PM   #9
MJFlores

There are many ways to remove the crimp on military brass, but I like swaging the best. I own a Dillon swager like the one in the video but remove the case by hand as I only do maybe 50 at a time. I've never looked at reloading as a chore so I'm in no hurry. I like swaging as I'm not a fan of removing brass when you don't need to and with the Dillon everything is very consistent. Cutting can lead to lose primers, inconsistent primer pocket wall tension, etc. The Dillon swager does run a hundred bucks though so that's certainly a factor.

Another good item to have when dealing with crimped primers is a Lee universal decapper. It has a much more rugged decapping pin than any FL die with/ decapper and will punch out even the tightest crimped in primer without fear of damaging your pin. Cheap too...under 20 bucks.