The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 5, 2013, 02:00 PM   #1
Archarris

CVA Kentucky pistol parts

Hello all,
I'm building an old CVA Kentucky pistol kit. I seem to be missing several parts including the two lock screws. Does anyone know where I can get replacement screws for this particular kit. Or does anyone know the length and thread size of them. Track of the wolf has several choices of screws but with out thread size and length I'd never get the right one. Thanks for the help.
Old January 5, 2013, 06:35 PM   #2
mykeal

Call Deer Creek Muzzleloading Supply in Waldron, IN: (765) 525-6181.
Old January 5, 2013, 06:42 PM   #3
Archarris

Thanks for the reply. I've bought several parts from the before. They can be difficult to get in touch with. But if they are the go to people for parts then ill give them another chance.
Old January 5, 2013, 08:18 PM   #4
bedbugbilly

Take the lock to your local hardware and try screws until you find one that fits - I'm assuming that when you are referring to "lock screws" you are talking about the screws that holds the lock in to the mortise that go through the stock and in to the back side of the lock plate?

For the length - insert your lock in to your mortise and measure from the outer surface of the lock plate to the surface of the stock on the opposite side - this should be the length you need. The upper screw (that goes in to the center of the plate probably falls within the falling arc of the hammer. When you do your final assembly, just make sure that the end of the screw ends at the outer surface of the lock plate - if it extends through and above the outer surface of the plate, it may interfere with the hammer as it falls.

You don't need "original CVA" parts for this - just find a skew that has the right screw pitch and length - normally those screws are only threaded on the end - but = if you find one that is the right diameter, pitch and length that works, and it's threaded the entire length - it will still work as the only thing you'll see is the head on one side and the end on the other. I could be wrong but I'm betting that they are quite possibly a metric thread.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old January 5, 2013, 11:31 PM   #5
Archarris

Thanks for the advise. I found a screw that fits perfectly at Home Depot. And it's much cheaper than trying to order one. And you were also right about it being metric. I figured I would have been standard, being Connecticut Valley arms and all. Anyway thanks for the help.
Old January 5, 2013, 11:45 PM   #6
Hawg

Quote:
I figured I would have been standard, being Connecticut Valley arms and all.
CVA is an importer not a manufacturer. The gun was made in Spain.
Old January 6, 2013, 08:22 AM   #7
Doc Hoy

First time I ever disagreed with Bedbug....

I would get parts from a firearm parts person rather than hardware store because of differences in the appearance of the screws. Putscrews in it from Home Depot, and it will look like you were building a deck. ;o)

I have dealt with Deer Creek (Mykeal above) and they are great folks. Winchester Sutler.....Dixie Gunworks.....VTI .... All easy to find with a word search on Google.

Sorry Bedbug. I'll make it up to you.

Tags
cva pistol , screw sizes