The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 24, 2011, 08:51 PM   #101
chadk7

Sorry for your luck. Excellent thread by the way I have been following it ever day.
Old October 24, 2011, 08:58 PM   #102
kaylorinhi

Not LFTS yet but will
Be soon enough
Old October 24, 2011, 11:18 PM   #103
mrawesome22

Peet, you got sharp broadheads bud?
Old October 25, 2011, 06:49 AM   #104
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Yeah, man. Brand new. The buck was shot with a Slick Trick, the doe with an Aftershock Hypershock. The Hypershock is similar to Rage, only with curved blades and better penetration.

Streak of bad luck. I've almost never wounded deer before. 18 years of bow hunting, 2 wounded deer (IIRC) in all that time before these 2 in one week.

Actually, this one makes a lot less sense than the buck. This shot should have been perfect. Every condition was virtually ideal. In actuality, it may have been nearly perfect since we could only track the deer less than 200 yards and it covered that distance on an absolute full-out, dead run.
Old October 25, 2011, 08:06 AM   #105
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

We are allowed to trespass in Fla in pursuit of wounded game... Not being allowed to seems crazy to me...

Brent
Old October 25, 2011, 08:22 AM   #106
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

If this was forested land I would have followed the deer for sure. It was dark and we weren't "hunting" anymore. We weren't going to hurt the woods. But this is LITERALLY in people's yards, with anywhere from 2-10 houses within 100 yards of where she went.

I couldn't believe she wheeled around and went west. She was facing east and headed east before the shot. Everything seemed perfect. I'm reasonably sure she's dead within a couple hundred yards at most.
Old October 25, 2011, 08:23 AM   #107
shortwave

Quote:
Streak of bad luck. I've almost never wounded deer before.
Hunt long enough and it's gonna happen. Don't care who you are.

Course Peetza, you've been at the game long enough to know that....

...But it doesn't matter how long you've hunted, when you lose one, it hurts.

I feel your pain!

Took me years to get over losing(sorta) a bruiser in which I just knew I hit hard. I watched him run up into a big pine thicket and heard him crash. Then, for about ten minutes, I kept hearing alot of thrashing about. Then silence.

I didn't move out of my stand for a good hour or so, well after dark as I shot him with about 20mins. of daylight left, even though I'd heard him crash.

I went to where I'd shot him and there was a massive blood trail. Trailed blood up to where he had crashed in the pines and it literally looked as though somebody had dumped a gallon of red paint in the spot and the pine needles on the ground were all messed up in about a 10ft. circle. When he got up, he walked across the ridge-top of pines but was bleeding less and less till there was no blood at all.

I called off the search till the next day and called about 6 very good hunters in to help me the next morning. We searched all day with no success. Finding no more blood then the last drop I'd found/marked the night before.

Well, about a week later I found him(with the help of the buzzards) piled up in some foothills. He had circled back behind my stand in the total opposite direction he was headed when he crashed in the pines.

One of the guys which I called was a very experienced hunter and says deer will try to 'pack' wounds with debris(leaves,pine needles etc.) to stop bleeding. Over the years, I've heard this said by others. Don't know if this is true but I do know the blood trail up to where the buck crashed was massive and then just stopped when he left that spot. Maybe he did pack the wounds or maybe his organs just plugged the holes, still a mystery today.

Whichever the case, this was the first deer I'd ever lost and it bothered me so bad, I just about quit hunting.

Lost another nice buck a few years ago cause a anti-hunter wouldn't let myself or game warden on his property to retrieve it.

In 40+ yrs. of deer hunting, losing these two deer still haunt me today.

As far as you getting a deer in your freezer, your stretch of bad luck WILL change. Keep at it.

As far as "LIVE from the stand!" being a curse, when I look at the expression on that 5yr. olds face, "LIVE from the stand" is already a huge success. Everything else is just 'icing on the cake'.

P.S. It wouldn't hurt to drive your car around the neighborhood to try and spot the deer and possibly knock on a few doors to ask if you can look around. All they can do is say no.
Old October 25, 2011, 10:33 AM   #108
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

You're right, shortwave, on all counts.

I would drive around looking a bit but the place is 40 miles from home.

I've heard this rumor of deer "plugging" wounds too and stories like yours tend to add some level of believability to it but I'm left with the nagging fact that I've never seen, or known of anyone who has, a deer that tried this unsuccessfully or found a deer dead with its wounds "plugged". It's hard for me to imagine that they do it with near on 100% success of not just stopping the bleeding but surviving otherwise fatal wounds.

Least ways, I'm confident that this deer is dead. The distance it covered is small to where it crossed property lines, it did it at 100% "turbo boost" speed and, even with it running full-tilt, the blood trail was easy to follow in the dark with just headlamps.

The conundrum is that the deer that you most want to know where you hit are the same deer that you'll never know because you only want to know because you never found them.

When next I hunt, I will have home-made luminocks installed. At least then I'll know where I hit.
Old October 25, 2011, 04:21 PM   #109
mwal

Are your arrows passing thru? I have no faith in mechanical's. Helped track to many that were not recovered due to poor blood trail. Your stories sound like my brother used muzzy broadheads for years. always passed thru always recovered deer. Watched to many hunting shows switches to rage 2 and proceeds to lose both deer he shot last year both at 12 and 20 yards no pass thru blood petered out. Put his muzzy's back on and shot doe next weekend at 20yds full pass thru 30yard blood trail recovered deer. I would rethink your broadhead selection. 2 holes are always superior to 1. I don't like what I see on film from mechanicals either blood spraying every where or lets try to track after 10 hours due to no exit wound with little blood. I am not convinced.
IMHO
also good job getting the youth involved.
Mwal

Last edited by mwal; October 25, 2011 at 04:59 PM.
Old October 25, 2011, 06:49 PM   #110
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Large mechanicals work fine if you have enough energy. In the case of Rage, you need quite a lot of energy, in excess of 60 ft/lbs. Most modern bows will do fine but anything older than 3 or 4 years, and/or under 60 pound draw, might be suspect. You just have to know what it takes and what you've got.

Anyway, in my case, the first broadhead was a Slick Trick and it went through the deer like it wasn't there. The second was an Aftershock Hypershock and, while I did not find the arrow in the dark, it was very clear that the deer was bleeding out both sides so it's either on the ground and we didn't find it (highly possible in a field at night) or the deer took it with her but, regardless, there are two holes. We have killed a few deer with Hypershocks and they have always performed very well, including complete passthroughs with less energy than I'm shooting now.

You have to realize, with the deer from last night, it's not as if we lost the trail. She went where we couldn't follow after only 100-125 yards. She could be 30 yards from the property line. If she had been facing that direction, I wouldn't have shot. This is the first time I can ever remember a deer doing a complete, immediate 180dg turn after being shot... and ironically the only time it would ever matter.

The first one is simpler... I screwed up. Bad shot. It wasn't an equipment failure, the deer didn't move... That was all me.
Old October 25, 2011, 10:52 PM   #111
chadk7

Unfortunatly I lost a deer today too. Decent buck.

I had told myself before I went out that I wasn't going to shoot at anything unless it was a big buck I couldn't pass up. I had to leave the woods by noon to make a meeting for work.
So I'm in the stand only like 20 minutes after i got out there and this buck shows up out of nowhere.

He circles around for a few minutes and I decided it was early enough that if I shot him I would have time to track him and get him field dressed and home before I had to leave for the meeting.

So I take the shot and get a good hit on him. He took off running to the east with my arrow still in him and he ran into this little woods. I waited for about 45 minutes and got down to track him. As I walked in the woods where he went in I found my arrow covered with blood and then a few drops here and there. I followed them but then the trail went cold.

I walked in every direction looking for blood but couldn't find any. So I decided to go around this big puddle of water that was in the woods from all the rain we have had and there I find a big pool of blood. It had bubbles so i figured lung shot and he wont be far. I followed it for probably 75 yds and found more blood and something that was clumpy and bloody. I'm guessing he coughed this up or something.

The trail went a little further and then he went out into the bean field they picked a few weeks ago. After that there were a few more little drops of blood but then I couldn't find anything. I looked all over for him but nothing.

I had to leave for the meeting but went back later on in the afternoon and started where the trail had left off. The only thing is i found no trail. I even tried to find the big pool of blood and the clumpy thing but they were no where to be found. The leaves are falling off the trees so they covered up all the blood trail i guess. I even marked where I had left off in the field but could barely even see that from all the leaves on top of it.

Anyways I searched for around 5 hours total. I have no clue how the blood just stopped.as soon as he got to the field. I have pictures of my arrow and the blood but i cant load them on here with my phone I guess. 3 different people said there is no.way he went far with the kind of blood you are finding but he is nowhere to be found.

Sorry for the long post I'm just not too happy!
Old October 25, 2011, 11:17 PM   #112
golfballshootr

Good luck on the continued hunt

I think mine is done, as I know I will not see another like what the boy has taken. And last year, he took one of the nice ones too!

I hunted the one he took with rifle during youth weekend, with the stick and string for the prior week and a half. Regardless of what some say or think, I love the bow! It HAS TO BE up close and personal. I actually had the sucker 2 nights before at 28 yards, but I didn't shoot. Wind was howling and did not want to miff the shot, at least on this fellow!

Have a good hunt and I hope that you have pictures to show soon!
Old October 26, 2011, 03:01 PM   #113
upstate81

Lookin for gobblers
Old October 26, 2011, 07:15 PM   #114
upstate81

Well no gobblers in sight so my brother in law and I put on a stalk for a whitetail. We got 10 min down the path and saw a group of trees being thrashed. Sure enough a buck showing off to a group of does the does spot us and run off. The buck keeps on going at it.he then turns back toward our trail steps out 15 yards up and my brother in law slays him. His first buck ever. It was a fork horn but he did have a pretty chocolate rack. It did suck dragging him through a swamp though in the pouring rain no less.it was worth it! Success!
Old October 26, 2011, 07:26 PM   #115
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

^^^^^

Sweet!

Pics or it didn't happen!
Old October 26, 2011, 07:35 PM   #116
Legionnaire

peetza, you've got me hooked on this thread. I find myself checking it several times daily!
Old October 26, 2011, 07:38 PM   #117
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Legionnaire,

It's the train wreck phenomenon....

That poor guy can't kill a deer to save his life! I'm embarrassed to watch but I can't look away!

I'll be out looking for that doe (and my arrow) again tomorrow morning and then hunting again in the evening. Tune in around 300 eastern, 400 central!
Old October 27, 2011, 02:20 PM   #118
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I'm back! LIVE from the blind again... This time because of a rain/snow storm.

Here I am!
42.441994,-76.447077

I'm not sure how those coordinates come out on a computer... There's a small strip of woods with a triangular field in it. I'm in that field facing west south west.
Old October 27, 2011, 03:04 PM   #119
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Look here peetza... Have you considered Karma, Murphy and their relationship with the hunt gods?

I am a bit superstitious enuff to try to use that as an excuse for failure and a fix for success...

Me and junior quit carrying a camera on a hog hunt... Not because they easily ruin in the beaver ponds but we came to a conclusion...

Whenever we forgot the camera, we hooked up with the good hogs, the fighters, the barr hogs, the big teeth and/or bodies...

when we remembered the cam, we got the little ones, the sickly ones, the wieners and skunked dogs...

So we just made it a point to leave the digi home for pics on the tailgate...

Brent
Old October 27, 2011, 03:09 PM   #120
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

BTW, here are the numbers with corrected W&N... your's defaults to china or some such...

42.441994n 76.447077w

Brent
Old October 27, 2011, 04:04 PM   #121
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks Brent

It's nasty out there. We gave up for the night. Next live from the stand for me will be Saturday morning or afternoon.
Old October 27, 2011, 10:14 PM   #122
mrawesome22

I had a real nice 10 point get up from bedding in a multiflora rose about 70 yards from me tonight. I grunted at him, he looked back for about a minute, then went on his way. He was on a mission to be getting somewhere. After he disappeard, I did a little light rattling. Never did get him to come back. I saw a coon and a groundhog.

Wind and drizzle was nasty

Last edited by mrawesome22; October 27, 2011 at 10:18 PM. Reason: Spellering
Old October 29, 2011, 06:38 AM   #123
PawPaw

Saturday morning. Still dark,sunup in another half hour. 35F clear skies. No moon. Cuppa coffee tastes good. Hope springs eternal.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old October 29, 2011, 06:41 AM   #124
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

GOOD LUCK ALL YA'LL WEEKENDERS!!!

I will be scouting my butt off until turkey day when our gen gun "short season" starts...

Brent
Old October 29, 2011, 03:17 PM   #125
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Here I am again! LIVE from the stand! This time, on a piece of land we lease. First time here this season.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&q=42...ed%20States%29

I'm not sure how that link shows up exactly... There's a large field with a "bow" (as on archery bow )shaped piece of trees. I'm in the far east next to the power lines, about 100 yards south of the north edge.

The deer here are notorious for showing up at the weeeeee tail end of shooting light so let's all hope they're early tonight.