The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 18, 2011, 05:11 PM   #1
zxcvbob

? How to buy a holster

I just got my carry permit. How to shop for a holster? To make matters worse,
  1. I'm left-handed, and
  2. I want a holster for a CZ82 (same as CZ83 but the trigger guard might be different) pistol.
The law here doesn't care whether you carry concealed, open, or poorly concealed. I want to go for concealed, but if it prints a little, or shows when I stand on my head, that's OK. Not sure if I want IWB or a belt holster. Where do I even start?

I have a "Last Chance" belt on order from Cabelas. I ordered one a couple of weeks ago and when it got here I liked it but it was way too long and I had to send it back and order a shorter one.

I'm kind-of fat but not obese (losing weight very slowly) and have almost no ass, like Hank Hill. So I have to wear my belt tight to keep my pants from falling off. (wife says I should wear suspenders) Maybe a good belt will take care of that, I dunno.

If I knew exactly what I wanted (as long as it's leather), I could probably make it myself, but I don't.
Old January 18, 2011, 06:03 PM   #2
langloisandy

Holsters

Z,

If you can get a dummy gun that matches your carry gun exactly, I could mold an OWB for you...

Andy
www.andysleather.com
Old January 18, 2011, 06:55 PM   #3
zxcvbob

I think it's close to a Bersa Thunder .380, but maybe not close enough. (I do like your website)
Old January 18, 2011, 07:40 PM   #4
MisterPX

The only holsters I've found for a CZ82 are leather. You have the option of Andy's product, otherwise a company along the lines of RedStar something or other.
Old January 18, 2011, 08:00 PM   #5
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Does your gun have the rounded trigger guard or a "pointy" front on the guard?

Crossbreed makes the Supertuck for the CZ83, the 82 may well fit. If it doesn't fit perfectly, you might be able to successfully reshape the kydex using a blow dryer to warm it up.
Old January 18, 2011, 08:01 PM   #6
joehorner

carry combo

Hey Z

I am in the same situation as you.. "No Butt" . I'll tell you what works for me. I have a quality IWB Broomeland holster. A good 1 1/2 " gun belt along with wearing wide suspenders with the X in the back. The holster is in the 4 o'clock position on my strong side. Been wearing suspenders longer than I have been CCW. This combo is comfortable and secure but then again this is what works for me.....................................Joe
Old January 18, 2011, 08:08 PM   #7
Kreyzhorse

Try here http://store.packinheatleather.com/ Packing Heat has good prices, quick turn around and a ton of lefty holsters. I've bought most of mine from them and they are a first class company.

As far as where to start, I'd suggest starting OWB. Galco and Bianchi both make nice holsters that aren't crazy expensive and are well made. The sad truth is that you won't know what you really like until you try a couple of holsters. I started as an IWB guy and more or less hated it. I've since moved to OWB and use that method for all of my carry guns 99% of the time.
Old January 18, 2011, 10:23 PM   #8
zxcvbob

My CZ has a very long rounded trigger guard.

I also have a nice leather OWB lefty holster for my S&W 4" K-frame or Ruger Security Six. Kind of a big and heavy gun to try to conceal, but when my belt gets here I might try it for practice. (it *is* winter coat season, and if I don't conceal well enough that's not a foul here like it is in some states)
Old January 19, 2011, 12:40 PM   #9
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

It sounds like the Crossbreed holster might work. You should call them and ask.
Old January 20, 2011, 07:06 AM   #10
X_shooter

How to buy a holster?

1. Websearch brands/models that fit
2. Call you local gunshop and ask if they will let you test fit your firearm. I don't know one in my area that won't but its polite to ask first.
3. Go to your local gun shop with the best selection of what will fit
4. Take your unloaded and cased firearm along with your new belt and wear the type of clothes when you will carry
5. Try every holster on and don't settle for almost good enough
6. Don't forget to practice drawing your weapon

You may still end up buying several you will learn to hate and never use. That is normal. Keep looking until you find the perfect one like everyone else.
Old January 24, 2011, 02:06 PM   #11
jcvibby

I would just do a google search and find one that is close enough to make it work.
Old January 25, 2011, 09:43 AM   #12
ClydeFrog

left hand holsters for CZ pistols...

As a left handed shooter, I know and understand the problems of finding quality gear for some handgun models.
As for the CZ pistols, I'd check Highnoon Holsters SkinTite line. These are man made, leather type material that is available & costs less.
www.Highnoonholsters.com
I'd check Fobus USA, Blade-tech and Galco too. Custom shops like www.comholsters.com www.miltsparks.com and Kramer may sell left hand CZ holsters also.

Tags
holsters