The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 22, 2005, 04:07 PM   #1
357shooter

Question about bore size and proper bullets?

I have been reloading for my 44.sbh for maybe about a year now.I have been using cast lead bullets and jacketed bullets of .429 size.I have had some leading at moderate velocities but the acuracy just doesn,t seem to be there.
I have read that maybe the bullet is maybe a bit under sized causing more leading and some acuracy problems.My question is this,can i safely go to a little larger lead bullet say .430 or .431 in my blackhawk,or a .430 sized jacketed bullet.I understand that the bullet needs to expand and that it needs to be a tight fit so that the rifling can do it's job,but I have heard that they make the different sized bullets for different makes of guns,older guns with the rifling worn down,or that every gun is different.confused about this and some info. on this would be greatly appreciated.
Old November 22, 2005, 04:20 PM   #2
Jim Watson

Yes.
Revolver bullets, especially cast ones, should be a close fit to the chamber throats, that is more important than barrel dimensions. A thousandth is not going to make much difference in pressure, and a .430 jacketed will be ok too.
Old November 23, 2005, 05:49 AM   #3
mtnboomer

Most cast bullet shooters size their bullets .001" to .002" over boresize to get a good grip on the rifling and prevent leading from gas cutting (blowby).

Support the Second Amendment. Join the NRA > http://www.nra.org <

Oklahoma State & Big 12 - #1 GO POKES!!!!!
Old November 23, 2005, 11:33 AM   #4
Quantrill

The ideal thing to do is to measure ACCURATELY the chamber diameter of the cylinder and get cast bullets of that size or .0005 over. Quantrill
Old November 23, 2005, 10:19 PM   #5
Ozzieman

Good info here but you might also look at the powder

A lot can be the burn rate of the powder your using. With cast I use a slower burning powder like HERCO but its dirty. its very accurate but its about half way to a black powder gun.
another is 231, I have had good luck with it and cast.
The other would be how hard your pushing it, if its over 1000fps use a bullet with a gascheck.
As far as worn lands that requires a lot of rounds to do much to a ruger.
For my 45 LC it was just finding a good bullet and powder load and HERCO works very well for me.