The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 30, 2002, 03:35 PM   #1
Larry Ashcraft

Dillon 550 as a hand priming tool

I have been working up loads for Pronghorn season for the last month. Next Saturday is opening day, so last night I was ready to load up 40 super-dooper killer loads. Brass was sized, tumbled and ready to go. I got my Lee AutoPrime and seated a couple primers when the 3rd one wouldn't seat. I took it to my 550 and seated it. The next one worked OK and then the next one wouldn't seat again. I looked at the tool and saw a crack right where the shell holder fits.

I don't have a primer attachment on my single stage press, I threw it away many years ago. I realized I could prime the cases on my 550 (set up for .45 ACP), but I had about 80 pistol primers in it. How do I get those out? Answer: load 80 .45's, put rifle primers in and prime the 25-06 cases.

After a few rounds, I had worked out a good strategy. Stand to the right of the press, work handle with left hand, insert and prime case, remove case, and repeat.

It worked for those 35 rounds, but I am getting a Hornady Hand priming tool this afternoon. I don't recommend buying a 550 to use as a hand priming tool.
Old September 30, 2002, 08:17 PM   #2
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Yup, it's a leeetle over-engineered for the purpose.
Old September 30, 2002, 10:29 PM   #3
blades67

I once had to use a .41 Mag sizing die to decap several hundred 10mm Auto cases. My 10mm die decapping pin snapped and I didn't have a spare, so I screwed the .41 Mag die into a spare toolhead. I now keep a couple of spare decapping pins on hand.

I hunt, therefore I am.