The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 3, 2002, 05:20 PM   #1
Dave-Ga

If you could start BP shooting again...

I am about to start shooting BP and don't know a single person who shoots it. I will be using a Uberti 1858 Remington .44 revolver. At this point I'll be mostly plinking until I figure this stuff out.

If you had to start over from the beginning, what would you do differently or what did it take you years to learn so I can benefit from your experience. I'm mainly interested in cleaning, patch, wads, grease, types and sizes of ball ammo, etc.

What equipment do you find you couldn't do without, or thought you couldn't but found out you didn't need.

I'd also like links to any BP instructional sites or companies which consistently provide good prices and service.

Thanks.

Dave
Old July 4, 2002, 10:41 AM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

Not being smart, but I was lucky enough to buy a Ruger Old Army and follow their instructions on buying a mold of the proper diameter. Didn't have to change a thing.

However, I would have done a lot more reading and research before I began working on my first rifle. Like others, I was so proud but now know more about "style" and .
Old July 5, 2002, 02:54 PM   #3
Jimmy Mac

First I would have never wasted a dime on Pryodex.

I would have started shooting a flinter in the begining because it takes so long to master one.

I never would have bought several BS "replica" rifles such as CVA Thompson and such and bought a real simi custom or custom rifle to start with.

I would never loaded anything in any rifle other than a patched ball.

Also if I could I would go back into time and shoot the bastard the invented the modern "inline".
Old July 5, 2002, 03:29 PM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

I weally, weally had to think hard and then...

stoopid me! I should have started shooting bp rifles years ago! All the fun I missed out on. But, better late than never.
Old July 6, 2002, 04:23 PM   #5
Jimmy Mac

I have been into blackpowder for about 25 years. I learned the hard way.

I have been into flinters for about 8 years. Still have not mastered the art of shooting the flintlock in the standing position. May not ever do it as well as my cap locks but is sure fun trying.
Old July 6, 2002, 04:41 PM   #6
BigG

Flints rule. There is quite an art to using a flinter. And nothing beats the outhouse smell of burning black!

Why is Pyrodex bad? I can make it go off in a flinter if I boost it with a smidge of black as a starter.
o "The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BC

o "In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain

o "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" Paul Harvey

o TODAY WE CARVE OUT OUR OWN OMENS! Leonidas, Thermopylae, 480 BC
Old July 8, 2002, 04:23 PM   #7
Poodleshooter

I would have bought a rifle with a longer barrel and better sights, instead of the 24" hunter that I have now. Also, I would have started with Pyrodex instead of regular BP. I get about 4 consecutive shots without scrubbing using Goex, and around 30 with Pyrodex. This slowed down my shooting when I started. Also, I would have started casting earlier.