The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 22, 2013, 10:40 PM   #1
bigminnow

Bought some 9mm reloads and checked w/Wilson gages

I need some recommendations...

I bought some 9mm reloads from a company that sells on the internet. It was 3 months from time of placing the order until they arrived and that is no problem IMO with the ammo situation today.

In that 3 month wait period I read some good and some bad reviews about the reloads from the company with more being negative as the time got closer.

The reloaded 9mm arrived today and I took the first bag of 500 and check all of them with my 9mm Wilson gauge. I use this on my own reloads as a quick check. I also have an analog and digital dial caliper I use for other measurements too.

Out of the 500 reloads, 183 would not gauge with the Wilson gauge. The rim of the cartridge was sticking out, some higher than others and they would not press down.

Is this enough info in your opinion to bring this to the attention of the company and ask for replacement cartridges or should I measure case size with calipers first? I know this is a basic go/no go gauge but I do use the gauges a lot and think they are a useful test tool.

183 out of 500...I'm thinking WOW! So I got a box of 9mm I reloaded myself and only found 3 that might even be considered close to not passing.

What should I do here?
Old April 22, 2013, 11:14 PM   #2
Misssissippi Dave

It can't hurt to contact the company to see what they have to say. You could also check your pistol barrel to see how they will fit there. If they won't fit there either there is a real problem even trying to shoot them. The company may already know they have a problem. If not, and they don't check it often you are giving them information they need to know.
Old April 23, 2013, 12:30 AM   #3
david_r

Have you plunk tested them in your own barrel? It could very well be a non-issue. Are you willing to ship ALL of them back if they ask you to and to wait whatever their current lead times are to get your replacement?

What is the total round count that could be suspect? 4 boxes that I could probably recrimp and shoot wouldn't bother me. 40 boxes ....
Old April 23, 2013, 09:25 PM   #4
bigminnow

I've checked the first bag of 500 rounds...I have three more to go. Total of 2K rounds.
I have three 9mm handguns and I guess I could see how they fit each barrel.

Pay your money and take your chances...I think I'll stick with reloading my own if the primers ever become available again...
Old April 24, 2013, 06:12 PM   #5
BigJimP

2 or 3 out of 500 ....would be too many in my view....

yes, I think you should talk to the company / but I'd return the whole batch...
---------------
primers are available ...prices are up of course / but I see them at the local gunshows and in some retail shops in my area.
----------------
Buying someone else's reloads is a really bad idea in my view...