The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 3, 2009, 05:10 PM   #1
gdeal

Primed Brass

What do people think of primed brass? Especially since it is about the same price as brass with no live primers in them. I guess you would have to take your depriming die out when working with these too.
Old September 3, 2009, 05:14 PM   #2
tom234

Primed brass is fine and sometimes it's cheaper than having to buy primers. I use to buy Winchester primes pistol brass. As you mentioned, just remember to leave out the decaping stem if you size them.
Old September 3, 2009, 05:17 PM   #3
wpsdlrg

Primed brass is simply brass sold with primers already installed. After firing, it's just like any other brass. I don't use it myself, because I always do a light full-length sizing on my new cases, before use.....and the primer will just be in the way (you won't get the brass fully to specs without the expander stem in the die). I don't see the point of buying brass pre-primed, anyway.
Old September 3, 2009, 05:28 PM   #4
gdeal

Quote:
I don't see the point of buying brass pre-primed, anyway
Ok.
Old September 3, 2009, 10:53 PM   #5
Uncle Buck

Buying pre-primed brass, or already primed brass will save you a step in the reloading process.
How many guys complain they can not find primers? How many guys have already primed their brass, but not yet reloaded it?

Nothing wrong with it, some people actually prefer it I would guess.

Note: The term "Guys" as used in this post is gender neutral, it actually refers to both male and female gender. Gotta love that political correctness.
Old September 3, 2009, 11:45 PM   #6
dmazur

Quote:
I guess you would have to take your depriming die out when working with these too.
Typically you will find that factory brass needs to be run through the resizing die. As it hasn't been fired, there is almost no effort required. The only thing you are doing is setting up the neck for proper bullet tension.

So, instead of removing the die, I would remove the depriming pin from the end of the expander. Most dies permit this so you can replace the pin if (or perhaps when) you break it.

With the depriming pin removed, the resizing die does the rest of the process as usual.

You can drop the case in a gauge and check it for trim length, too. It's probably OK, but it doesn't hurt to check.
Old September 3, 2009, 11:50 PM   #7
rn22723

Quote:
Primed brass is simply brass sold with primers already installed. After firing, it's just like any other brass. I don't use it myself, because I always do a light full-length sizing on my new cases, before use.....and the primer will just be in the way (you won't get the brass fully to specs without the expander stem in the die). I don't see the point of buying brass pre-primed, anyway.
Geez you can slip the decapping pin out of most dies! NOT AN ISSUE!
Old September 4, 2009, 03:50 PM   #8
wpsdlrg

Geez - no you can't....not ALL dies have a removable decapping pin. So, yes it IS an issue..... for some.
Old September 4, 2009, 04:41 PM   #9
Nightowl

As long as you can remove the de-capping pin, it looks like a simple issue of saving some time and possibly a little dough. I would certainly consider it.
Always - Safety First!
Old September 4, 2009, 05:03 PM   #10
snuffy

Quote:
Geez - no you can't....not ALL dies have a removable decapping pin. So, yes it IS an issue..... for some.
If you can't remove the decapping pin, then back the entire decapping rod back up until it don't decap. Easy squeezy, maybe cheezey!

I lucked into a sale at Midway for 500 Speer primed 357 sig brass. It was all new nickel plated, and about the same price as unprimed plain brass, essentially free primers! A no-brainer to be sure.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old September 4, 2009, 05:22 PM   #11
emcon5

I have used quite a bit of primed 5.56 brass, the reason was the cost difference was about the same or a little less than the price of the primers over the unprimed brass. I just ran them through a neck sizing die to remove any dings from shipping.
Old September 4, 2009, 05:24 PM   #12
jepp2

I seem to be in a minority. When I buy new brass (primed or unprimed), I DO NOT resize it. If it was going to be sold as loaded ammo, it wouldn't be sized again. I do run an expander through the neck of rifle brass since the necks deform easily in the annealed state. And pistol brass gets expanded during the loading process.
Old September 4, 2009, 05:32 PM   #13
dahermit

In regard to rifles:
My prime consideration for handloading is accuracy. I always neck size (except some autos), brass to obtain best accuracy. As part of my search for top accuracy, I consider the first firing of the brass as just fire-forming to fit my chamber. Therefore, any primer will do, most any bullet will do, most any load will do. After that, I use a specific primer, load, bullet. thus, in this scenario, pre-primed brass saves some time.
Old September 4, 2009, 06:22 PM   #14
Russ5924

The first thing I did when I got my Lee Press and my Dillon 550 is take everything that has to do with primers OFF. I do all my primers by hand after cleaning. That is the only thing saving me right now I had about 5000 cases primed, so with the little I have found and about breaking even between shooting and reloading
Old September 4, 2009, 07:26 PM   #15
rn22723

Quote:
Nope it is YOUR issue for not buying better dies!
Old September 4, 2009, 07:56 PM   #16
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Quote:
Nope it is YOUR issue for not buying better dies!
Maybe so, but that's no reason to embarrass the person that has them. Maybe he couldn't afford better ones. Maybe they were given to him. Maybe they work just fine for his application...

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old September 4, 2009, 08:42 PM   #17
Farmland

Primed brass was a pretty good deal and a nice time saver when I was able to find it locally. I used to by thousands of 40 Winchester primed brass. The point to buying primed brass is that you do save an extra step, sometimes it is cheaper and to be frank it can be a good step for beginners.

With the cost of some dies it is a simple solution to be an extra sizing die if you are having problems with no being able to adjust the decapping pin or remove it. When I can find primed brass for the right price I buy it. In addition it gives me an opportunity to retire some of the older brass that has been reloaded probably more than it should have.
Old September 5, 2009, 10:59 AM   #18
Russ5924

If you order primed brass do you have to pay a hazardous fee just wondering?
Old September 5, 2009, 11:25 AM   #19
snuffy

Quote:
If you order primed brass do you have to pay a hazardous fee just wondering?
Nope! That's another reason to buy primed brass, no haz-mat fee.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old September 5, 2009, 11:59 AM   #20
QBall45

if ya order pre-primed brass, how do ya know what primer is being used?
Old September 5, 2009, 12:16 PM   #21
snuffy

Quote:
if ya order pre-primed brass, how do ya know what primer is being used?
You don't! But you can assume the primer is from whatever company made the brass. In the case where I got primed Speer 357 sig brass, I assumed it would be a CCI small pistol primer. Since the load I used for that brass wasn't a max load, I could go ahead, load 'em up. If you were working up a load, you could start at the lowest recommended loading, go up to max like any other trial load.

Old September 5, 2009, 12:34 PM   #22
Farmland

You will find that some companies will state what primers they are using.
Old September 5, 2009, 04:04 PM   #23
arizona98tj

Quote:
So....if you break your decapping pin, you have to replace the entire rod assembly?

If so that die would last about 2 seconds on my bench before it went into the trash can.
Old September 5, 2009, 04:20 PM   #24
Farmland

I was trying to figure that one out too. I'm not saying I know every die ever made but then again I was trying to figure out how in the world you would put a new pin in if it broke. Than again if the pin broke you could use it for primed brass.

What type of dies to to have wpsdlrg?
Old September 5, 2009, 04:21 PM   #25
snuffy

Quote:
arizona98tj
Quote:
So....if you break your decapping pin, you have to replace the entire rod assembly?

If so that die would last about 2 seconds on my bench before it went into the trash can.
Most dies have removable decapping pins. Others that don't like the lee, the rod is held in a collet, (on top) that allows the entire rod to slide out the top of the die/collet to prevent it being broken by a berdan case that gets mixed in with range brass. In that case, you simply loosen the collet to slide the entire rod up so it don't decap. Hornady had a similar arrangement, they have since went with a threaded rod.