The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 5, 2011, 10:34 PM   #1
Colorado Redneck

Case capacity of .45 Colt

I read on line that rounds for the Colt Peacemaker could be loaded with 40 grns of black powder under a 250 gr projectile. Result was 400 ft lb of energy. Not bad for black powder!

Can you get 40 gr. of powder into a colt 45 case?
Old February 5, 2011, 10:43 PM   #2
Hawg

Not a modern solid head case. Not without using a compression die anyway. 35 is about it.
Old February 5, 2011, 10:47 PM   #3
Jim Watson

As I recall, 35 gr of FFFg in a solid head case will shoot about like 40 gr FFg in a folded head case; at or near 1000 fps from a 7 1/2" Cavalry model.

The 40 grain load did not last long, there were guns failing proof test.
The load was reduced all the way to 30 grains, then the Army went to using .45 Schofield ammo for both guns, about 28 grains. Later when materials had improved, they went to 35 grains.
Old February 5, 2011, 11:50 PM   #4
Colorado Redneck

Good info and thanks!

So the Peacemaker was evidently a heck of a gun for that day and age. The advent of 400 ft lbs energy was probably about like the 44 mag was when it hit the market in the 1950's? A big step up compared to the cap and ball revolvers?

I have shot a 44 New Army Remington reproduction from Cableas. Can't remember what the load was, as it belongs to my nephew. That revolver shot really good. We could chase beer cans down the road quite a ways with it. Hardly any recoil.
Old February 6, 2011, 01:14 AM   #5
Lost Sheep

A little off topic, but too far, I think.

Colt Walkers could stuff 60 grains of black powder in the chambers. I have read that it was unmatched for power in revolvers until deep into the 20th Century (I can't remember now if it was the .357 mag or 44 mag that finally surpassed the Walker).

However the Walkers were too heavy and also had some other problems. Like the loading lever would drop down under recoil and tie up the gun in the middle of combat and worse, sometimes the cylinders would fail from the pressure of all that black powder.

So, the Dragoon series of revolvers were produced, holding 50 grains of black powder under their 44 caliber round balls.

Source: Wikipedia and some from my own memory.

Lost Sheep
Old February 7, 2011, 01:16 PM   #6
Uncle Buck

I have been loading 40 grains of FFFg in the .45 colt, with a 250 grain bullet.

Wonderfully smoky and pretty good for accuracy. They are a lot to fun.

I had to do a lot of research and get some help from the members here on TFL.

The most important thing I received from everyone who helped me figure out the load was: THE POWDER MUST BE COMPRESSED!

If you decide to use 35 grains, just make sure it is compressed. If you have to add felt wads to the top of the powder, do so. Make sure it is compressed.

Also, make sure the gun is cleaned very well after firing. I have a friend who shot these in his Ruger Vaquero and did not clean it. He said about six months later when he decided to clean all his pistols, he noticed slight pitting.
(Why does someone wait six months to clean a gun?)
Old February 7, 2011, 06:22 PM   #7
Roaddog

Yep don't let the sun set on a dirty gun. For black powder anyway.