The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 20, 2007, 04:51 PM   #1
Johnywinslow

ATF rules reguarding BP firearms.

I was reading a thread that someone was complaing about the lack of a metal finish option on colt walkers, Anyway to make long story short I have a little side buisness Electro plating car and motorcycle parts , and other ods and ends, I striped my brass frame blued meatal 58 remington and nickle plated it, looks great, never got the idea to do old bp guns befor now, anyone know what the ATF rules are reguarding that. I can do some awesome nickle and gold or whatever on a BP pistol!!! Would i need some kind of FFL to buy BP guns and perty them up for resale like a gunsmith needs FFL to work on firearms??
Old May 20, 2007, 07:38 PM   #2
mykeal

Per the Gun Control Act the ATF does not consider bp guns to be firearms. No FFL is needed to purchase them or work on them. That being said you need to check your local and state laws very carefully. Some states have restrictions as to sale, registration and transport.
Old May 20, 2007, 08:07 PM   #3
Johnywinslow

nice Ill dbl check but arizona has some of the best gun laws in the country ... or worst if u r a liberal! lol
Old May 20, 2007, 11:16 PM   #4
arcticap

I've seen some BP guns with beautifully done nickel plating. My Traditions Deer Hunter is even plated inside the barrel which helps to clean it up very easily and it's been extremely durable. But then again I've seen some defective gold factory plating on a Traditions Pietta revolver where it was flaking right off of the cylinder.
Is this due to some kind of special pre-plating preparation that makes a difference in the durability and adhesion of the plating?
Old May 21, 2007, 10:48 AM   #5
Johnywinslow

it could a number of things but a clean base is most importaint , also u have to first plate with nickle then gold if u dont the gold wont stay right and flake, also quality of gold matters alot. I recently did a few pairs of spurs for a local guy they came out great , but for me I like the look of the nickle more then gold, especialy un polished so it keeps the dull metal glare. I need to get a digital camera take bome picks of my 58 remington, I was thinking im going to start out with a pair of 51 colt sherriff models. as far as gold goes I would replace any brass like the triger guard and perhaps the screws for accent but a nickle finish would be awesome, I may do the same to a pair of dragoons eventualy. Seems counter productive to plate SS models with ecception to some slight gold accents like i mentioned.