The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old December 3, 2012, 12:24 AM   #1
srfisher3

Semi Auto .308

All right folks, I have been tasked with updating our sniper program with new rifles. We are currently running the traditional R700's and they have worked very well for us, however the powers at be say its time to go semi-auto. I have looked at the OBR and POF and liked both but it was honestly hard for me to determine a difference. There are so many .308 semi-auto options out there, I'm looking for some imput on the direction I should go. Suggestions? Thx
Old December 3, 2012, 12:40 AM   #2
Creeper

Quote:
I have been tasked with updating our sniper program with new rifles. We are currently running the traditional R700's and they have worked very well for us, however the powers at be say its time to go semi-auto.
Uh huh. What quantity of rifles? What's the total budget? After sale service/maintenance contract or in house armorer?
Unique requirements... barrel lengths, optics, urban or suburban use, one dedicated operator or multiple operators, unusual ammo requirements, gas impingement or piston, AR type or other... etc etc.

Saying that you should get a Sig Sauer 716 or a LMT MWSE (my usual best .308 answer)... or anything for that matter would be kinda pie-in-the-sky, considering that someone else is paying for the guns and you don't state any specifics.

Cheers,
C
Old December 3, 2012, 07:09 PM   #3
jackpine

contact JP Enterprises

www.jprifles.com

tell them what you need and they will do all they can paltform and budget wise to make things work for you

or call up LMT

www.lewismachine.net

I'm sure they will work with you if its 2 rifles or 20