The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 24, 2011, 08:54 AM   #26
oneounceload

They would most likely object to the extended magazine, as it can present a possible safety issue as it holds more than two rounds

Personally, that style of stock with the vertical handgrips is usually a hindrance when trying to swing on moving targets
Old June 24, 2011, 03:21 PM   #27
rottieman33

I should of said that 2 of the mags got 1/2" dowel in there cut to length so you can only get 2 rounds in. I could of bought a 2 round mag but there about the same price for a 10 round, cheaper to put a wood dowel in. I will admit that I have ****** people off with my gun cause in there minds it's not PC for the game. As my skeet range President has told people my gun meets the specs there is nothing he can do. But this is the funny part the people that get ****** cause I can use that gun, come over and talk to me after they see me do a round and get high 20's and want to know more about the gun.
Old June 24, 2011, 03:54 PM   #28
oneounceload

If you can hold the grips like that and do well, good for you; I know for ME, personally, I like my arms more out horizontally (like chicken wings as I call them) so i can swing a lot more side to side - but then I also shoot skeet 1-2x/year - I shoot sporting clays and in that game, targets fly in so many different directions and arcs, tat vertical grip holds are a detriment
Old June 24, 2011, 04:32 PM   #29
Slugo

I call BS on anybody shooting in the 20's with that POS. Like playing in the Masters with a Croquet mallet. Don't buy it for a minute...
Old June 24, 2011, 04:54 PM   #30
pabuckslayer08

Slugos header fits these last few statments very well
Old June 24, 2011, 04:55 PM   #31
rottieman33

Quote:
I call BS on anybody shooting in the 20's with that POS. Like playing in the Masters with a Croquet mallet. Don't buy it for a minute...
The gun doesn't make a person good at the game, the person knows the gun and what it can do. Maybe you need a $1000+ skeet gun I don't. And any time you want to play a game with me let me know you can drive up here to New Hampshire. Then after I will take you over to my work and show you I can hit a 8" metal target at 880 yards(thats a half mile) with my Remington 700 in .308. Because I know you Don't buy that for a minute.
Old June 24, 2011, 05:15 PM   #32
71Eagle

Skeet Gun

Slugo, I have to agree with you. If a guy is shooting in the 20s with that gun, he'd be a AAA up there with Binder and Shima and those guys with a true skeet gun. But to each his own.

We have a guy who comes out to our range with a Class III Saiga (sp??) with a 2 in barrel (that's how much that sticks out of the action) with an EO Tech sight. He's a disabled Iraq vet (we're on an Army Post) and he's coming around slowly. On stations 1 and 7 he'll break 2 or three, on a good day, he might break 10 birds in a round, the worst part is for the guys on the squad or the guy pulling for him. I actually got a head ache being within 10 feet of him shooting Remington Express shells. We don't discourage anyone from shooting unless they just aren't safe. He's really into the "black guns" but with some encouragement and coaching he'll probably put that gun up and look for something to really shoot skeet with. Just depends on how serious he is about skeet.

One of the other posts talked about Browning Citori, I'm a bit Browning fan. As I posted before I shoot a 425 Sporting Clays. A good friend of mine had one that I shot when I was looking for another gun and for me it's everything I want in a gun. My friend who was a AA shooter and coach told me that down at the World Shoot in San Antonio TX, you can go along vender row and all the gunsmiths for the other manufacturers are working practically around the clock fixing guns, but the Browning guys are sitting around like the Maytag repairman, nothing to do. Might be a bit of an exaggeration, but there's some truth to it. I'm convinced my grand-kids will be shooting that gun when I'm long gone.

People need to understand that skeet is a shooting game. You can equate it to bird hunting, but it really isn't. Skeet is skeet. I always recommend that if someone wants to get serious about it and they are first starting out, get a good gun that fits. I prefer an O/U but if they can't afford a decent one, a good auto will work too. Pumps are good, but I think they are better for a more experienced shooter. I say that based on the fact that there is more you have to do when shooting a pump. With an auto or O/U you can concentrate more on the bird than having to work the action and disrupt your swing with a pump. I'm so used to my O/U that when I do shoot my pump I have to really concentrate on working the action on my doubles in addition to making the second shot. Shooting a pump successfully, in my opinion, takes an experienced shoot to do well. Other than the Texas State 4H shoot, I don't think I've ever seen anyone shoot competition with a pump unless it's a pump gun shoot. I'll shoot mine every now and then just for a change. But when I serious about it, it's the Browning O/U.
Old June 24, 2011, 05:42 PM   #33
oneounceload

Skeet started out as a game for grouse hunters to stay sharp in the off season, so it IS a hunting game.

Quote:
Maybe you need a $1000+ skeet gun I don't
$1000 doesn't get you a decent used SERIOUS skeet gun - sorry, that's the facts
Old June 24, 2011, 06:48 PM   #34
BigJimP

At some point good equipment or better equipment matters ...especially if you're going to shoot consistent scores.

Its not about shooting a 21 occasionally ....its about shooting a 23, or a 24 average ...or a 92 - 96 average out of a 100. Then its about shooting in the upper 90's and never shooting a score below a 23. If you can shoot at a 92-96 level with a tactical weapon ( and I'll take you at your word / that you're observing all the rules / never loading more than 2 shells ) ...I'll shake your hand and say nice shooting just like I would to anyone on a skeet or Trap field.

But my hunch is / you'll have up and down days with most any "tactical shotgun".

No, nonone needs a $ 1,000 skeet gun ...but the working man's skeet gun these days / and its a nice gun ...is a Browning Citori XS Skeet model with an adj comb ...and it sells new, in my area for around $ 3,000. Its a solid gun / not a high end gun / not a fancy gun ...but its a gun that will run 500,000 shells and not cause you a single issue - and for most of us, a gun that will stay in our families for 3 or more generations.

But I would say 95% or more of the top Skeet shooters in the country - are shooting upper end guns ....Blazer, Perazzi, Kolar or Krieghoff ...and many of them are sponsored / but to get into that level of equipment its about
$ 6,500 - $ 25,000. A few of the top guns are shooting specialized semi-autos ...and a few of them are shooting Berettas or Brownings - but not many / because there are better tools out there for those elite shooters to reach their potential of 98.99 avg / or 99.9X averages ...as they shoot 1,000 straight or more ....

Being a big dog / in a small puddle isn't too tough. Big a big dog / in a big pond ...is a whole other thing ( and I'm not ) / especially in the stress of high level competiton. I'm very happy shooting my Brownings ...and hoping to maintain a 92 or maybe a little better average on my better days .../ but I can drift down to an 88 ...in a heartbeat / and 22's aren't terrible ...but they're laughable in big time or even regional competition - even in the Senior of Veteran or Super Veteran classes !

Last edited by BigJimP; June 24, 2011 at 06:54 PM.
Old June 24, 2011, 07:34 PM   #35
71Eagle

Not to get into an argument, I know that skeet did start out for grouse or for what I've read pheasant hunters, doesn't really matter. The point I was trying to make was that TODAY, IMO, skeet has developed into a shooting sport of it's own. I know, every September we have guys come to our range to get ready for dove season in their cammo gamebags and cammo taped guns. That's fine and dandy. But for someone who is starting out to shoot skeet as a shooting sport, it is not a hunting sport, IMO. I've seen great dove shooters who can't break 15 birds and I've seen good skeet shooters who can't hit a dove in the field. And some people shoot both great.

Check out some of the gun auction websites and you'll see some pretty good guns that you can shoot skeet with for around $1000. They aren't going to be Krieghoffs and the like, but you'll see an occasional Browning or Beretta, and a lot of autos. I guess opinions of what's a serious skeet gun vary, one of our prior state champs shot a Browning Citori, don't know which model but it is an older gun. Another of our really good shooters shoots a Browning auto. Again, just depends on what you consider a serious skeet gun.

I'm new to this forum and don't mean to get anyone riled.

Big Jim, sounds like you and I should shoot on the same squad someday. Personally I couldn't disagree with anything you said.
Old June 24, 2011, 07:51 PM   #36
oneounceload

Quote:
But for someone who is starting out to shoot skeet as a shooting sport, it is not a hunting sport, IMO. I've seen great dove shooters who can't break 15 birds and I've seen good skeet shooters who can't hit a dove in the field. And some people shoot both great.
Absolutely true....skeet has evolved into its own little world, as has trap......

Typically, a good skeet shooter SHOULD do well in the dove fields, but you are correct, it isn't always trye
Old June 24, 2011, 08:43 PM   #37
pabuckslayer08

Great bird hunters and skeet shooters dont relate to me, I can go out and fill all my tags every time if I see the birds but you must figure, I have 3 shots and most everytime I shoot I do get the bird but sometimes not till number 3. So you must figure that in, I shoot 15s-18s on skeet just because of that reason itself, my follow up shots Im much more comfortable at shooting, its just how I am.
Old June 24, 2011, 10:42 PM   #38
.300 Weatherby Mag

Skeet and trap are good practice for bird hunting... Add sporting clays and you have even more varied shots to look at... If I have been shooting skeet and trap with any frequency.. I kill the heck out of live birds.. One thing about it, especially with doves, your expenses go down greatly if you don't burn up four boxes of shells to get a limit... I'm actually very unhappy if I don't get my 10 bird limit with less than 25 shells... To knock down three birds with three quick shots with my 20 gauge Wingmaster was sure a blast...
Old June 24, 2011, 10:59 PM   #39
zippy13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottieman33
after they see me do a round and get high 20's and want to know more about the gun.
I find that hard to believe since the maximum score is 25, which is in the mid 20's. To get in the high 20's, you must be adding the scores from more than one round.
Old June 24, 2011, 11:21 PM   #40
Mr.Blue

Check out the Ruger Red Label. The fit and finish are excellent and the gun is reasonably priced. It is more than enough gun for any skeet shooter, barring high level competitor.

Supposedly, it is the only production O/U still made in the USA. I read the previous fact a while back, so I cannot testify to the veracity of the statement. I do believe Savage may be bringing one to market.

Here is a review from Chuck Hawks:

http://www.chuckhawks.com/ruger_red_label_shotgun.htm

Last edited by Mr.Blue; June 24, 2011 at 11:30 PM.
Old June 25, 2011, 01:37 AM   #41
olddrum1

On a scale of one to ten, if I were to use these guns, (10 being a gun you cleaned before putting it in the truck and one you grab it by the barrel and toss it towards the truck hoping you hit the gravel), I would give the Stoeger a good solid 3.5 and the mossberg a four. Z, my friend, up here in the stuble fields we can get two rounds of sixty out of a box of 135 White Flyers with a few left over. I have not broke into the thirties yet though.

Charlie
Old June 25, 2011, 02:36 AM   #42
zippy13

Charlie, my friend, your rating of 3.5 and 4 seem about right.
You boys toss some pretty mean targets in your part of the country. You may not admit to breaking 30, but you're in the high 20s. However, I suspect if some real wagers were made, we'd suddenly see a lot of targets vaporized over your stubble fields.
Old June 25, 2011, 03:29 AM   #43
Slugo

rottieman33, here's one to try next!! LOL...

Old June 25, 2011, 05:22 AM   #44
PJR

Quote:
I find that hard to believe since the maximum score is 25, which is in the mid 20's. To get in the high 20's, you must be adding the scores from more than one round.
Perhaps he thinks a "round" is 100 targets.
Old June 25, 2011, 09:48 AM   #45
Slugo

yea really. Whatever...
Old June 25, 2011, 09:17 PM   #46
TheKlawMan

If I could add the scores from two rounds I might have a decent score!