The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 27, 2016, 05:42 PM   #1
1stmar

Need some expert opinions on this.

looking at getting a trap gun and found this on gunbroker. What do you think this is worth? Seems in good shape but dates back to 72'. Could have some miles on it.
Thanks

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=541764379
Old February 27, 2016, 06:11 PM   #2
Minorcan

I saw that and was interested as I like old weapons and such. I was thinkimg of biding if under $900, its past that now. I have a similar model and they are very nice but this one probably does not have changeable choke so you're probably stuck with a full and a modified. Some of the traps had open chokes so may be best to ask.
Old February 27, 2016, 06:40 PM   #3
1stmar

Yes I was concerned about the chokes. Thanks for the feedback.
Old February 27, 2016, 06:59 PM   #4
tynman

Well it all depends on how much you are going to use this or any other rifle for trap shooting?
If your not looking for a heavy use of the rifle then you might want to look at a Savage Stevens 555. Its a rifle out of turkey with the savage name on it. I got one last summer new for under $600 and put over 400 rounds thru it and didnt have any problems with it.

The one on gunbroker might have high rounds or not you never know. Dont have chokes, and I personally dont like that it was made in japan. But thats just me.
Good luck
Old February 27, 2016, 07:12 PM   #5
1stmar

i agree that fixed chokes is a bad idea. Looking at this but it will likely go above what I'm looking to spend. $1500 or so.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...=544221786#PIC
Old February 27, 2016, 10:48 PM   #6
Virginian

For trap that is an excellent gun. Certainly looks well maintained and not heavily used. Why do you need choke tubes when the range is always the same? It isn't Sporting Clays. BTW, I am a choke tube fanatic, but not a trap fanatic.
Old February 28, 2016, 03:52 AM   #7
1stmar

The club I belong to only has a trap field. My son (whom I'm trying to get out shooting more) only likes shooting shotgun. We will likely shoot at my club for the most part but depending on his interest may venture out to sporting clays or skeet at surrounding clubs. I don't shoot much shotgun, so my knowledge is limited and I only have 1 shotgun. Just looking for the flexibility if his interest wanders or grows.
Old February 28, 2016, 06:47 AM   #8
Virginian

If you plan to shoot other disciplines, do NOT get a Trap gun. It is far easier to shoot Trap with a field or Sporting gun than the other way around. You can even stick a riser on the comb to make it shoot high like all Trap guns do.
And, if you are considering shooting other disciplines this would not be the gun as well because it does not have changeable chokes.
Old February 28, 2016, 08:41 AM   #9
1stmar

So something like this?

Browning Citori Lightning (Japan) ~ 12 GA

Description:
Excellent condition showing light use marks on buttstock. with an excellent bore! With Invector choke tubes.

Caliber: 12 GA
Chambers: 3
Metal Condition: Excellent
Wood Condition: Very Good
Bore Condition: Excellent
Barrels: 28" Vent Rib
Triggers: Factory
Stock: Checkered Walnut Round Knob
Stock Dimensions:
14 1/4" LOP
Fore End: Checkered Walnut
Butt Pad: Brown Vented Rubber
Weight: 8 LB
Sights: Metal Front Bead
Chokes: Invector Choke Tubes
Old February 28, 2016, 11:19 AM   #10
Virginian

That would be much more suitable in my opinion. Browning and Beretta are THE standards for clay shooting O/Us until you step way up in price, but to me they feel VERY different. I would sure try to get around and feel both before I plunked down my money. Both are good guns; I prefer the feel of Berettas.
Old February 28, 2016, 01:31 PM   #11
1stmar

Thanks for the advice, I found this and put a deposit on it. I have handled brownings and I am comfortable with them. Seemed like a decent deal and didn't want it to slip away.

http://www.gunsinternational.com/gun...n_id=100669631
Old February 28, 2016, 02:13 PM   #12
Virginian

Looks nice, but frankly I am so excited someone is NOT looking to buy the absolute cheapest gun available I'm not sure I'm thinking straight. Good shooting.
Old February 28, 2016, 02:19 PM   #13
1stmar

Thanks, price is probably a bit high. But I think it will work out. Appreciate the direction.
Old February 28, 2016, 02:46 PM   #14
BigJimP

For a "general purpose" shotgun ...I think you're making a smart choice.

There are about 29 different models of the Citori these days...and the Lightning is their "field" grade gun...the price might be a little high / but it looks to be in very good shape from the photos - and all of the Browning Citori models hold their value very well.

Today's current Lightning model list for $ 1,990 ....and in many areas they will sell new in box for around $ 1,800.

Its a gun, if you take good care of it, that will easily last thru 500,000 shells and live on in your family for many generations ( I have a number of Citori models that are well over 500,000 shells with no issues at all ).

If down the road -- you want to look for a dedicated "Trap" gun look at the Citori XT Trap, 12ga, 32" barrels...they're very solid guns as well...a little too long and too heavy for general purpose ( like Skeet, Sporting Clays, 5 Stand...).
Old February 28, 2016, 03:32 PM   #15
1stmar

Thanks, feel good about the purchase. Looking forward to getting out with my son. Going to get a thrower, probably Champion WheelyBird Auto-Feed Trap. Though I may look for something in this price range that I can put a wobbler on.