The Firing Line Forums
Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > S.W.A.T. Magazine

Old January 19, 2002, 11:43 PM   #1
Nightcrawler

Question about Navy Arms 1892, as seen in Feb Issue

I have a question about the Navy Arms stainless 1892 rifle reviewed (quite well, I might add) in the February issue of SWAT.

What kind of pressures can this rifle take? Can it handle the "hunting" loads of .45 Colt, like the Marlins and Winchesters can, or should you stick to very low pressure, low velocity CAS ammo instead?

If it's the latter, what rounds should you specifically avoid (besides the obvious, Cor-Bon's .45 Colt Magnum +P and Buffalo Bore).

Thanks.
Old January 20, 2002, 10:51 AM   #2
Denny Hansen
Staff Emeritus

Even with modern metalurgy I would take into account that you are using a design that's a century old, even though commercial manufacturers stay well within SAMMI limits. The handload I mentioned in the article uses close to a max load of Unique powder and approaches Mach 1. My Lyman manual does not list the CUP for this load.

I used a Cor-Bon Plus P load once to put down an injured bull on the ranch, and the casing showed no signs of overpressue. Still, I would not suggest a steady diet of such loads. Since the .45 Colt is a proven performer, I would err on the side of safety.

Denny
Denny Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2002, 01:32 PM   #3
Nightcrawler

Thank you. I couldn't *afford* to give it a steady diet of those +P loads, but it's nice to know it won't blow up in my face if I do put a box through it. I really like the stainless, being the levergun freak that I am, combined with the fact that I like shiny things of all description.

ooooh, SHINY....