The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old October 21, 2012, 08:38 PM   #1
osbornk

Machine Guns

I read in a local paper this morning that Virginia has more registered machine guns than any other state. There are over 30,000 machine guns registered in the state. Florida and California were 2nd and 3rd but they have a far larger population. I don't understand the need for a machine gun or why there are so many here. I live on the Hillbilly end of the state in the mountains and my friend knows three people locally who have them.
Old October 21, 2012, 08:45 PM   #2
FoghornLeghorn

I used to live in California. I was under the impression nobody outside of the movie industry and/or law enforcement could own a machine gun.
Old October 21, 2012, 08:47 PM   #3
KMAX

Define Need.

I don't think there are that many people that "need" machine guns as much as want them. I might have one if I could afford all the costs associated with owning one. I don't need it though.

I'm not old. I'm CLASSIC!
Old October 21, 2012, 09:05 PM   #4
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
I don't understand the need for a machine gun
It shouldn't be necessary to articulate a need to own something. I may not need a pistol that holds more than six or ten rounds for carry. I might not need a repeating rifle for home defense when a side-by-side shotgun could conceivably do the job.

I might not need a car that gets less than 30 miles to the gallon, or a house that has an extra room I don't use. However, as long as I'm not hurting anyone, I'm free to own those things.

So, why not a machine gun?
Old October 21, 2012, 09:10 PM   #5
5.56RifleGuy

Why does there have to be a need? To me its like wanting a sports car or multiple pairs of shoes. They arent anymore dangerous than the person using them, just like any other tool.
Old October 21, 2012, 09:14 PM   #6
RamItOne

The only thing you really need is oxygen and so far that's still free.
Most everything else is a want
Old October 21, 2012, 09:15 PM   #7
5.56RifleGuy

As far as the amount in Virginia, that probably has to do with the large concentration of wealth in the state.

Starting price on a machine gun is about 4 grand. That will get you something like a mac 10 or sten.
Old October 21, 2012, 09:31 PM   #8
osbornk

Quote:
As far as the amount in Virginia, that probably has to do with the large concentration of wealth in the state.

Starting price on a machine gun is about 4 grand. That will get you something like a mac 10 or sten.
The concentration of wealth is on the other end of the state about 300 miles from where I live and there are people near me with machine guns where we are low income.
Old October 21, 2012, 09:53 PM   #9
5.56RifleGuy

It depends when you bought also. Pre 86 you could get stuff a lot cheaper. I talked to a guy that said he never paid more than $400 for a Colt M16. Today you are lucky to get one under 15k.
Old October 21, 2012, 09:55 PM   #10
jonnyc

If you have ever fired a full-auto weapon, you can easily understand the "need".
Old October 21, 2012, 09:58 PM   #11
5.56RifleGuy

Im talking legal machine guns also. I dont know if your neighbors have the right papers, but I hope they do. It isnt to hard to convert some semi autos, but its highly illegal and a very bad idea that carries quite a strict punishment if you do.

If they have their own business and the proper license, they can do it legally.
Old October 21, 2012, 10:04 PM   #12
medalguy

Do we need a car capable of going 120 MPH? Do we need a TV that receives 1,000 channels? Lots of the things we take for granted today are wants, not needs. I might need one firearm to protect my family, but I own a lot. I also happen to own a number of different machine guns. They're simply a lot of fun to shoot.

The requirements to own a machine gun in the USA are (1) no local city/state prohibition on ownership, (2) application to BATFE to transfer a legally registered gun to yourself, (3) payment of a $200 tax on each transfer, (4) submission of a set of fingerprints, and (5) a letter from your local LEO that you do not intend to use the firearm for other than lawful purposes. That tends to be the snag for a lot of people, but there are legal ways to avoid that letter which don't serve any purpose here. Basically, if you can own a firearm, you can own a machine gun, if you have the money to buy it and feed it.

Actually I recall seeing some figures on state ownership and I believe Texas has the largest number of machine guns. There are I believe seven examiners in BATFE who handle all the transfer applications, and Texas has one examiner assigned to that state alone.

Yes prices have greatly increased lately. It was the Hughes Amendment that passed in 1986 which prohibited the manufacture and transfer to individuals of any newly mnaufactured machine guns. The supply of guns is now fixed, no more can be made, and prices are climbing. Pre 86, I sold a 1943 manufactured .50 M2HB BMG for $800, and today that gun would likely sell for over $30,000. Would that my foresight was as sharp as my hindsight!
Old October 21, 2012, 10:14 PM   #13
kraigwy

Quote:
I don't understand the need for a machine gun
I don't understand the NEED for a TV either. Betcha TV's do more to create violence then Machine Guns.

Or golf clubs, who the hell needs golf clubs, stupid sport in my mind. Golf Course is nothing more then a waste of a good rifle range.

Betcha there have been more crimes committed with golf clubs in the last 30-40 years then machine guns.

We all have likes and dislikes, we think other sports are silly, but not to the guy who plays that sport.

Machine Guns, or any other gun for that matter, is nothing but another man's sporting implement.

I have lots of guns. since I retired from the police department and the national guard, I don't have a NEED for any gun. But I do compete in competition, much like some dude in town doesn't have a need for a golf club, but its his sport.

What I don't need is someone telling me what I need to participate in my sport.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old October 21, 2012, 10:33 PM   #14
testuser

It's worth it to me. I know several people that own 50, even 100 guns, but no Class III. I'd rather save my money for a few rare and nice things, instead of 100 guns that sit in the safe. Everyone is different, though.

The belt fed stuff is pretty expensive to feed, but submachine guns aren't all that bad.

Yeah, needs testing part gets pretty slippery when it comes to gun. I definitely wouldn't like to prove need before buying one...

Most people, including many politicians, are convinced that machine guns are illegal. That's fine. The NFA process confuse most non-enthuiast enough that they think they're already banned, which oddly enough, keeps them legal.

Last edited by testuser; October 21, 2012 at 10:46 PM.
Old October 21, 2012, 10:35 PM   #15
DaleA

Thank you Kraigwy.

On another forum someone did a whole 'Nobody Needs A -' thread and listed everything from golf clubs (as Kraigwy mentioned) to jet skis, private planes, etc.

I'm beginning to see where the mentality of 'if it isn't expressly permitted it is prohibited' is gaining ground over the 'if it isn't expressly prohibited it is permitted.'

It's kind of like freedom.
Old October 22, 2012, 07:50 AM   #16
dahermit

Quote:
...I don't understand the need for a machine gun or why there are so many here...
You do not understand the need for a machine gun at the present. You may understand it better at some later date. It is relative to the situation and time. It is a question that the residents of the Warsaw Ghetto would be able to answer when they were trying to scrape together guns to resist the Nazis. It is a matter of never knowing when or if the need is going to manifest itself. That is why there is a Second Amendment...after all, it does not say anything about the right to keep sporting arms, does it?
Old October 22, 2012, 08:05 AM   #17
Skans

Quote:
I don't understand the need for a machine gun or why there are so many here.
The Military certainly thinks there is a need for machine guns. Citizens should have the right to own the same guns the Military uses. If you don't believe this, then you don't believe in the 2nd Amendment. The 2nd Amendment had nothing to do with "sporting purpose", self-defense, target shooting or hunting. It was all about the People owning guns to have a fighting chance of defeating a military attack, whether from a rogue tyrannical government or a foreign attack, like what is presently happening around the Mexican border.
Old October 22, 2012, 01:37 PM   #18
Armorer-at-Law

All legal machine guns in the US are registered. That means that even those owned by various .gov agencies are registered. Many of those agencies are located or headquartered in Virginia. Virginia is also home to sales offices of several military arms manufacturers (such as FNH USA).

This could account for why there would be so many more MGs per capita in Virginia.
Old October 22, 2012, 01:46 PM   #19
Stressfire

Is this actual machine guns or does it include weapons such as Ohio's stupid law regulating 30+ round magazines

30,000 is a lot of hardware
Old October 22, 2012, 01:55 PM   #20
Beagle45ACP

Quote:
Or golf clubs, who the hell needs golf clubs, stupid sport in my mind. Golf Course is nothing more then a waste of a good rifle range.
Thank you Kraigwy, I said the same thing the last time my dad and uncles asked me to go golfing with them. Just like the campus of the university I attend is a waste of primo hunting ground (who needs a degree anyways ).
As for the need for machine guns, I'm going to just side with the second amendment and state that that's all the need that anyone has. If I (still) can, then why the hell not?

Wastin' away my future children's inheritance one box of ammo, range fee, and bottle of Hoppe's #9 at a time.
Old October 22, 2012, 02:18 PM   #21
RAnb

Quote:
Is this actual machine guns or does it include weapons such as Ohio's stupid law regulating 30+ round magazines
The OP did not provide a link, but I think it is only those registered by the BATFE not those merely defined as such by state law.

Ranb
Old October 23, 2012, 03:11 AM   #22
WoofersInc

here is a story for this..

http://www.wtop.com/120/3087692/Va-h...ine-guns-in-US
Old October 23, 2012, 06:42 AM   #23
jhenry

I think we need more machine guns.
Old October 23, 2012, 07:36 AM   #24
cecILL

Me too!
One in .22 would be a blast. Could actually afford to fire it.
Old October 24, 2012, 01:40 PM   #25
Beagle45ACP

I definitely have to agree with these ^ 2. More machine guns would make them more affordable to the average Joe, and if we could get some in .22 they would be both more affordable to shoot and less "evil" in the minds of anyone who knows what they're talking about. I'm not implying that .22 is "less-lethal" than other calibers, simply more controllable and (relatively) less accident prone because of that.
To be fair, during a camping trip earlier this month, we had a S&W M&P15-22 start going burst fire due to a dirty trigger group (I honestly don't think the owner ever cleaned it). Unfortunately some of the more safety-conscious adults didn't like the idea of us letting little kids shooting something that had the potential to go SF, so we had to clean it up which put an end to our fun. But gd, after shooting that, I would love to be able to own an FA .22, that was some of the most fun range time I've ever had.

Wastin' away my future children's inheritance one box of ammo, range fee, and bottle of Hoppe's #9 at a time.