The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 29, 2012, 11:24 PM   #1
eldorablerentals

sks heavy cast bullet load data

Hi
I am wondering if there is any 200 grain load data for a sks in 7.62x39
Old March 30, 2012, 03:48 AM   #2
HiBC

I am not going to tell you you cannot do it,but before you spend money,you might want to read up on twist rates and bullet length/weights.I suspect the rifling twist designed for 123 gr bullets will be too slow for 200 gr bullets,particularly because you will also be losing velocity.

You need enough rpm to stabilize,and the general rule is more rpm for longer bullets.

The other thing I,myself,avoid is shooting cast bullets in barrels that have a gas port,like your SKS.I could be wrong,but my concern is lead fouling the gas port.
Old March 30, 2012, 01:11 PM   #3
FrankenMauser

If you dig deep enough, you should be able to find subsonic data for 200 gr projectiles in 7.62x39mm. But... I wouldn't run them through an SKS. Trying to achieve reliable function would be nearly impossible.
Old March 30, 2012, 02:12 PM   #4
Kawabuggy

The twist rate on *most* SKS's is between 1:9.25-1:9.5" or so and IS fast enough to stabilize the 200 grain bullet.

I'm shooting reduced loads out of my SKS using 180 gr. and also 200 gr. bullets. Be forewarned that there is very little case capacity left when running 200 grain bullets so you will not be able to get decent velocity unless you are using small amounts of fast powder (pistol) powder. I'm using Blue Dot in my reduced loads and it seems to be working fairly well. Bear in mind I'm trying to run sub-sonic so I have plenty of case capacity for what I am doing. My SKS will do about 2-3" at 100 yards running 180 gr. bullets subsonic. The 200's open up a little bit from that and run between 3-5". Both loads are perfect for night hog hunting where 70 yard shots are the norm.
Old March 30, 2012, 02:18 PM   #5
Kawabuggy

Forgot to mention that I am loading to fit in the magazine so if you are loading manually each round you may be able to seat the bullet out a little further and gain some case capacity back-DEPENDING ON YOUR RIFLE'S CHAMBER.

None of my rounds will cycle the action. After each shot, I have to manually charge the weapon again. This works for me though as I don't like fumbling for my brass in the dark. I simply lay the rifle over, pull the charging handle back and the brass falls into my free hand. Then release it, and the next round is chambered and I'm ready to go. I'm also running the Pulsar Digisight mounted right over the bolt so I can't have the brass flying up and hitting the bottom of the scope anyway. Less recoil hopefully means longer scope life.
Old March 30, 2012, 09:50 PM   #6
eldorablerentals

sks heavy cast bullet load data

I am a bit confused about the benefit of hunting pigs with a slow moving round. I have never shot one... but thought that you wanted to hit one of those things just as hard as you could! Some people swear they are Armour plated.

I would be looking for a load that would cycle appropriately though. I have a plate under my scope specifically to protect my scope... but it makes the manual chambering cumbersome.

The purpose in my asking this question ironically was to work up a pig load. I bought this sks to hunt pigs. I liked the idea of the bayonet on the end of it for walking around chasing those things.

The internet is full of videos of those things turning on their hunters... Sounds like fun.
Old March 30, 2012, 10:05 PM   #7
joneb

I bought a bunch of Wolf 154gr sp years ago, and it shot well in my sks with a 1:9.5" barrel. Some sks were fitted with a 1:7.5" twist barrel this seems more appropriate for bullets in the 174gr and up range. JMO

Tags
7.62x39 , cast , load data , sks