The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 5, 2012, 06:57 AM   #26
sc928porsche

You will find the Vanguard to be a very well made rifle that will last you more than a lifetime.

Last edited by sc928porsche; March 5, 2012 at 07:03 AM.
Old March 5, 2012, 09:00 PM   #27
30-30remchester

JIMBOB86, I should have stated my comment better concerning boattail hunting bullets. The CONCEPT of a boattail bullet is to reduce drag at extended ranges. Inside 400 yards the difference between a flatbased bullet and boattail is so little it have very little if any advantage, except on very small game. Boattail designed bullet kill scads of big game yearly. However the disavantage of cup and core bullets with boattail bullets far outweigh any advantage.
Old March 6, 2012, 08:45 PM   #28
jimbob86

Quote:
However the disavantage of cup and core bullets with boattail bullets far outweigh any advantage.
I have yet to see a deer that can take a 150 grain SGK, launched at 2900 f/sec, to the chest at any range form 20 feet to a measured 460 yards (and one a bit further than that, though we had no range finder that day) and not die in very short order..... on most of the hits under 75 yards, the bullet did come apart. This was a feature, not a bug, on frontal shots- a more solid bullet would have made a mess of things- as it happened, none of the frontal shots penetrated beyond the diaphram .... dead deer, no crappy mess.

The boat-tailed bullets extend my effective range out a bit- not an improtant factor for most situations in the Eastern US ..... out West, shots can be longer. You may not need that extra 100 yards, but it is better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
Old March 6, 2012, 11:39 PM   #29
AllenJ

cje1980, congrats on your purchase, I am sure you are going to be very pleased with the rifle and I look forward to hearing a report on how it shoots. Have you thought about using one of the all copper bullets (Barnes TSX, Nosler E-Tip, or Hornady GMX)? Nothing against the Accubond, I'm just a huge fan of the all coppers and since they retain so much weight the 165 grain is considered excellent elk material.
Old March 8, 2012, 01:25 PM   #30
cje1980

Thanks Allen. I've given some thought to the lead-free variety like the Barnes, E-Tip, and GMX. My thoughts are that the 30-06 doesn't produce enough velocity with the heavier 165 and 180 to warrant them.

I'm trying to decide between a bonded bullet in the 165-180 gr class. The new Speer Deep Curl line looks enticing since they are a bonded bullet priced in the standard cup and core class.

Hopefully I can get a chance to shoot this rifle next weekend. I should have my scope mounted by then.