The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old June 29, 2010, 01:01 AM   #1
ncpatriot

Tree Stand, Notching a Tree

If I built a stand using 3 4x4's as corner posts and a pine tree as the 4th, would it likely kill the tree to make a clean notch with a chainsaw to support a 2x6 at 1 end? I've seen pipes nailed to trees for swings and the trunk grows around the pipe, holding it securely. Thought of the 2x6 that way, trunk grows around it.
Old June 29, 2010, 01:07 AM   #2
Desertfox

If you are building a tower blind, with 4X4 posts, why not just use 4 posts and forget about the tree.
Obviously you are building this on your own property, as no regulations I have ever seen allow for the building of such a stand.
Old June 29, 2010, 07:43 AM   #3
Doyle

Notching a pine tree is not a good thing. You'll have sap running down it for the better part of a year.
Old June 29, 2010, 07:48 AM   #4

A couple of points come to mind. First, I believe you are trying to incorporate the pine as both a support as well as part of the blind material. I think that is a great idea. Second, if you are going to make this a permanent blind, you must remember that the tree will continue to grow where as the posts will not. Over time, the blind will develop a high spot in the pine tree corner. I realize this will take a significant amount of time but, it is a consideration. If you think that it will still work, then I would try to make the wound to the tree a small as possible. Leave the notch alone and just use some stout galvinized hex head screws. I'm talking 7/16" or 1/2" socket size and maybe 4" or 5" long.

Deer are amazing creatures....so please don't burn the sauteed onions and I'll pass on the steak sauce, thank you.
Old June 29, 2010, 08:19 AM   #5
Double Naught Spy

I would not notch the tree either, but simply mount some sort of bracket with anchor bolts onto which you can mount your 2x6. You can easily fabricate your own from wood or simply buy a metal one at the hardware store.

Yes, the tree will grow, but the rest of the stand will likely be rotted before the change in leg length will produce any significant issues. A slight tilt might be good anyway to help with water drainage.
Old June 29, 2010, 09:03 AM   #6
ZeroJunk

For whatever reason pine trees are much more susceptible to disease when injured and a lot more likely to die from damage than a hardwood.
Old June 29, 2010, 09:14 AM   #7
Mobuck

Two comments: 1= trees do not grow from the ground, they grow at the top. They do get bigger around at the level your support would be causing misalignment of the supports. 2=I have used treated lumber nailed to trees on several permanent elevated blinds and the lumber in contact with the tree rotted.
I had a stand built between two large cottonwood trees using red elm poles which lasted 20 years and the trees grew around the poles supporting them solidly-after which the poles rotted and the stand fell. I would not recommend using the tree as part of the construction, it willflex in the wind and pull the rest of your stand apart. Use 4 posts close to the tree for cover, wind break, or whatever, but not attached to it.
Old June 29, 2010, 09:57 AM   #8

Good call Mobuck

He's absolutely right, the tree will get wider not taller.....I stand corrected. I think he is offering sound advise. Maybe we're over thinking this and giving the deer too much credit. I have seen numerous elevated box blinds out in the middle of fields. The deer just need some time to get used to the new "tree" that suddenly appeared. You may have a devil of a time trying to make your post holes if you get too close to the pine roots as well.

Deer are amazing creatures....so please don't burn the sauteed onions and I'll pass on the steak sauce, thank you.
Old June 29, 2010, 03:43 PM   #9
shortwave

I'm with Mobuck on this one . I wouldn't make any tree part of the superstructure due to growth but also expansion/contraction in different season's and wind. Seems the whole structure would constantly be loosening.
Old June 29, 2010, 05:00 PM   #10
ZeroJunk

You can simply attach it with a ratchet strap and loosen it at the end of the season.
Old July 29, 2010, 09:08 PM   #11
ncpatriot

Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback. Whole truth is I was thinking about this setup at the inlaws' farm, but also for a tree house for my daughters using trees at one or more corners. After the feedback, I may use poles altogether or bolt a steel strut from 1 tree to another and rest the ends of the joists on it, then use poles at the other corners and maybe in between too. I should have known a slot in the side was not a good idea.

I once had the chance to get all the 2 or 3 inch rigid conduit I wanted, for the asking. We did a job at IBM and demolished thousands of feet of it. Carried it to the dump. If I'd had a good place to keep it, I would have gotten a few hundred feet. Would have made excellent supports for this kind of thing or many other projects.
Old July 29, 2010, 09:34 PM   #12
hooligan1

When I was in the tree industry, once in a while we'd get the job of cabling tree's and limbs,and so we'd drill a 5/8's hole dead center completely through a trunk and ,or a limb,as this was standard practice. It worked fine and didn't kill anything, as long as you drilled a larger diameter limb or trunk, it was fine no harm to tree.....

Thanks for coming!