The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 29, 2009, 02:08 PM   #1
The_Vigilante

Remington 11-87 Police model not cycling correctly

I used my 11-87 in a 3-gun match yesterday and had problems with it cycling correctly. It wouldn't feed the next shell after firing and would also occcasionally have failure to eject. I was using Winchester 2 3/4" 8-Shot with a DR EQ of 3. Do I need to use a shell with a higher DR EQ? I did clean the shotgun and gas tubes prior to the match. Thanks
Old November 29, 2009, 05:46 PM   #2
buymore

is your o-ring ok? Always the first thing to check on an 1187. Check your gas ports to make sure they're clean. I usually clean my 1100 and 1187 everytime I shoot them for thiss reason. You could try slightly heavier loads and see if that solves the problem too. That's not really too light, but it may be all it took.
Old November 29, 2009, 07:17 PM   #3
The_Vigilante

Remington 11-87 Police model not cycling correctly

Thanks for your comments. Where is the O-ring located on the 11-87 and how would I know it's bad? I did check the blown diagram and list of parts but didn't find an O-ring mentioned. Thanks for your help.

Last edited by The_Vigilante; November 29, 2009 at 07:19 PM. Reason: add comments
Old November 29, 2009, 07:52 PM   #4
MTT TL

Quote:
I did check the blown diagram and list of parts but didn't find an O-ring mentioned.
O-ring is colloquial for piston seal assembly and barrel seal. They wear out over time and need to be replaced. Look on page 15. I find replacing them all out at once to prudent.

http://www.remington.com/pdfs/om/om_11001187.pdf
Old November 29, 2009, 08:10 PM   #5
rantingredneck

I think your load is the issue. Typically mine with the 21" barrel requires a high brass 2 3/4" load with at least an ounce and a quarter in shot and 3 1/4-1/2 Dram Eq. to cycle properly. The 1-1 1/8 oz. loads of 3 Dr. do not cycle mine with the shorter barrel. With my 30" bird/trap barrel on it it'll cycle anything.

Because it is gas operated it requires enough gas burn time after it passes the gas ports to cycle the action. There just isn't enough barrel length past the gas ports to cycle the action with light loads.

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old November 29, 2009, 09:54 PM   #6
nutty ned

I have had issues with light promotional dove loads with an 11-87, switched to heavy dove or field loads and the problem went away.
Probably should change the o-ring as advised. Can get them frome some gun shops or directly from Remington 1-800-243-9700
Old November 30, 2009, 06:41 AM   #7
jmr40

The police model may be different, but Remington advises that with barrels shorter than 26" you must use heavy loads for the gun to cycle reliably. I know this is the case for the hunting models but the police model may be set up differently. Try some heavier loads and see if it improves.