The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 23, 2007, 08:10 PM   #1
jsr76

Browning A-bolt 6.5-284 origin?

I went down to the local shop this evening and found an A-bolt in good shape in 6.5-284. The caliber stamp had been redone to note the current chambering and looked very professional. My question is where was this likely made into 6.5-284? Does Browning do it? Would you be afraid to make a deal? The price is not low. Comes with dies. The dies look like new. The reason I was given as to why this rifle was on the rack was a divorce story. I'd love to have this for an all-around hunting rig and I do handload. Any advice?
Old July 23, 2007, 09:07 PM   #2
oldscot3

Probably was rechambered or rebarrelled. I don't have any personal experience with that caliber but have had a 284 and several flavors of 6.5s. With the 26 cals twist can be an issue, I've seen everything from 1 in 10" to 1 in 7 1/2". I would expect for that particular chambering something like a 1 in 9". Factory ammo is available but more importantly for you, a number of component makers are offering the brass with the proper headstamp. You probably know, however, that with custom work there is always a risk depending on the workmanship of the individual who performed it. Thats true also of factory weapons, but with them you look at the manufacturer's whole body of work and play a better set of odds. See if the dealer has some info, I once took the same chance with a 6.5 Gibbs, the shop owner gave me a money back deal and I returned it after 6 months of misery trying to get it to live up to his claims.