The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 30, 2012, 11:03 AM   #1
vedecals

lc9 explosions video

Here is a quick video of the damage done to my Ruger LC9. It blew out the shell extractor system. This may or may not be my own fault due to the fact that I was using hand loaded ammo. However I have seen this happen to others using factory ammo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YwPu..._order&list=UL

Hope you enjoy
Old January 30, 2012, 11:21 AM   #2
spacecoast

Couple of issues I can see here...

1) Labeling your handloads as "powerfull reloaded ammo" is not really correct - point is, they were wrongly loaded. By the way, "powerful" only has one "l".

2) If I had a case of blown out/missing parts, I would sure send the gun back to Ruger for repair. There may be cracks in other parts that you can't even see, rendering the gun unsafe to shoot with even the proper ammo.

Edit - would you care to share the load you used - powder name, quantity and bullet weight?

Last edited by spacecoast; January 30, 2012 at 11:37 AM.
Old January 30, 2012, 11:24 AM   #3
K_Mac

You damaged your pistol due to "powerful" handloads. Shame on you. Is there a point to your post?

You have seen this happen to others using factory ammo? What ammo? Pictures? I can't help but be a little skeptical.
Old January 30, 2012, 11:39 AM   #4
Tom Servo
Staff

The information could have been conveyed in a more concise manner by posting a few pictures and a few lines of text here than directing us to watch a video of a few pictures and a few lines of text.
Old January 30, 2012, 11:47 AM   #5
Carry_24/7

The honesty that you used your own reloads, possibly "powerful" ones is good. Some less than honest folks may have blamed the gun. Everybody makes a mistake, but the small group is those that will admit it.
Old January 30, 2012, 01:15 PM   #6
Marquezj16

Quote:
If I had a case of blown out/missing parts, I would sure send the gun back to Ruger for repair. There may be cracks in other parts that you can't even see, rendering the gun unsafe to shoot with even the proper ammo.
If Ruger sees this video, I doubt they will honor the warranty.

Live and learn.
Old January 30, 2012, 01:31 PM   #7
excelerater

LOL
that aint nuthin...I split the slide a few days ago on my 22.......Dems a powerfull little bullets too

Old January 30, 2012, 01:34 PM   #8
Uncle Malice

Quote:
If Ruger sees this video, I doubt they will honor the warranty.
Ruger has no warranty, so it's really up to their discretion; but you are right. This video would probably not induce a desire to assist.
Old January 30, 2012, 01:43 PM   #9
Nitesites

Quote:
Originally Posted by excelerater
LOL
that aint nuthin...I split the slide a few days ago on my 22.......Dems a powerfull little bullets too
excelerater,

Is that one of those .22 cal 1911s?
Old January 30, 2012, 02:19 PM   #10
vedecals

point to my post..??

I just got to speak to Rugers repair center,(jan 30th @ 1:10 pm) they were great! First I gave them my load data and they say that is fine to use in this gun! They also said they are seeing this from other people as well. (I did not ask how many)
I guess you now know what the purpose of my post is...It can and has happened to other people who shared.

Thanx for commenting on my truthfulness.

My spelling sux. sory. I am in texting lingo mode.

Search the forums if you want and you will find the other posts in these forums that made me join the site a few days ago. I was skeptical too until I read forums and talked to the factory.
Ruger customer service said that they are very sure that this repair is safe for me to do and there will be no other issues.

It's just easier to provide the link so I can post it quickly on multiple places on the net and it brings you to a place where I have other videos as well.

The load was correctly loaded and I thought I caused this because the load was at higher pressure than most of the loads on the Hogdgon recommended load Chart, but below the never exceed load.

load info. is 125grn fmj .355 Hodgdon universal powder 4.3grns oal 1.090

Hope I answered you all. If not ask again. It's nice to know I was in the right after it all.
Old January 30, 2012, 02:50 PM   #11
Marquezj16

uncle malice - you are so right sir!

I guess that really makes Ruger one of the best in Customer Service.
Old January 30, 2012, 03:01 PM   #12
vedecals

You are right..

I will be editing the video, but I just paid for the parts anyway. 17 bucks instead of 6-8 weeks for repair.

What is that .22 ?
Old January 30, 2012, 05:43 PM   #13
Skans

I looked at the video - saw the slide and the parts. But, I can't tell exactly what broke. What part failed?
Old January 30, 2012, 06:26 PM   #14
vedecals

Brken parts.

The broken parts were the shell extractor and the plunger and spring.
Old January 30, 2012, 10:01 PM   #15
bedbugbilly

Hmmm . . . offhand, I'd say this is akin to buying a new car and then driving it through the woods at night to see if you can get through without any damage . . . .

The OP states that he was using possibly powerful reloads in it that may have caused the damage . . . I have to give him credit for at least being honest . . .

"Common sense" comes to mind . . . oh yea, I forgot . . . not too many folks have it anymore . . .

I have to wonder what would have happened if the shooter of this pistol had lost a couple of fingers from the mishap? All I can say is that I'm glad I wasn't standing nearby at a range with pistol parts flying by because too "powerful" of reloads were being shot.

Like one poster mentioned . . . I'd like to see the photos and articles that the OP mentioned about having seen the same thing happen with factory ammo . . . . we're waiting . . . .
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old January 31, 2012, 09:38 AM   #16
vedecals

Same thing happened

My update that people are not reading is that Ruger told me the load I was using was fine and not the cause. I have posted the load and you can feel free to read it. Ruger told me that the extractor on this gun is an "external extractor type" and that they have seen more of these same problems. They said "sometimes the ejector is not totally seated in the groove at the factory".

Here is what I found on the board that caught my attention when this first happened. One gentleman said he was hit by pieces of the gun when it blew up.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=452436

Thank You for your input.
Old January 31, 2012, 10:46 AM   #17
Skans

I think its a bit of a stretch saying a gun "blew up" when a few small parts flew off. That's a far cry from a true KABOOM.
Old January 31, 2012, 10:59 AM   #18
spacecoast

Quote:
The load was correctly loaded and I thought I caused this because the load was at higher pressure than most of the loads on the Hogdgon recommended load Chart, but below the never exceed load.

load info. is 125grn fmj .355 Hodgdon universal powder 4.3grns oal 1.090
I doubt if a correctly loaded cartridge to the above specs did the damage. I'm not sure if a double charge of Universal would fit in a 9mm case, but chances are there was too much powder, or maybe a 147 grainer snuck into your bullets.

As you mentioned, maybe there was something going on with the gun's assembly. How many rounds were through it prior to the incident?
Old January 31, 2012, 08:03 PM   #19
vedecals

It surprised me too

Spacecoast-

I am positive of my load and there is no room for more powder anyway. I only use one weight bullet too so that's not it either. I had shot about 150 rounds with no problem. So I see what ur saying. I did and still will take the blame if I did something wrong. But Ruger took the blame. The interesting thing is that the repair is done with the gun completely assembled so it is a true external extractor system that sees the least amount of pressure than most of the other moving parts. Also Ruger told me how to do the repair and it only requires a large paper clip or small allen wrench to stick thru the side of the gun to hold a spring back while you snap in the extractor itself. If it goes on this easy??????

Skans-

Your right, it was more of a POP I guess.

I thank everyone for your responses.

The new parts should be here by Thursday and I will update after the repair.
Old February 1, 2012, 08:30 AM   #20
Skans

vedecals, can you isolate specifically which part failed? I doubt that all 3 parts failed - just a chain reaction because one did.
Old February 1, 2012, 09:49 AM   #21
K_Mac

Vedecals you have maintained your composure and sense of humor in this thread in spite of some generally snarky posts-mine being the best (or worst) example. Well done. Good luck with your Ruger.

Tags
laser , laserlyte , ruger , sr9