The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 29, 2011, 08:18 PM   #1
dbemery

Fired Brass in Case Gauge

I began to notice that it is difficult to fully close the bolt of my Savage model 12 (.223) and I realized that the brass doesn't fully seat in a case gauge. No matter how much I turn in my seating die, the rim of the brass remains higher than the top of the gauge. Even with once-fired brass from the same gun. Not sure why that is... Has anyone else had the problem?
Old May 29, 2011, 08:28 PM   #2
wncchester

We can't shorten cases with a seater die; need a case trimmer. Lee's system works fine and is inexpensive.
Old May 29, 2011, 10:19 PM   #3
Sport45

Welcome to The Firing Line!

Flip the case over and see if it will fit in the gauge base first. It might be an extractor bur on the rim that's keeping it from going all the way in.
Old May 30, 2011, 08:53 AM   #4
straightShot

Can you chamber a factory round properly and is the problem only with your reloads?

Is your chamber clean on your rifle? Are you sure that you don't have any crud built up in your resizing die?
Old May 30, 2011, 09:26 AM   #5
CherokeeT

Welcome to the forum. Couple of things, assuming factory ammo will chamber easily, its clean, etc. If you neck size, try chambering a sized case. If it chambers easily, then your load OAL may be too long. If it does not chamber, then check the case length (max 1.76"), trim if necessary and try chambering test again. If that does not work, try full length sizing and repeat chambering test. If that does not work, try turning the FL sizing die in a quarter turn and repeat the chamber test. Repeat until a case fully chambers easily.