The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 22, 2009, 05:42 PM   #1
cwb

just got a rem 870 need some choke advice

so i just bought a remingtion 870 28in barrel and it has the laminate wood and i want to get some chokes. it came with the mod choke is the rem choke a good choke?

so what are some good brands and what sizes do i need? (mod,full,etc)

i will use the gun for skeet,turkey,dove,waterfowl

thanks
Old November 22, 2009, 09:26 PM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Remchokes are OK. Quality slipped a few years back but things have improved.

Modified, which you have, is a good all rounder but even better would be having also an Improved Cylinder or Skeet choke for closer shots and a Full for stuff farther off. Since you mention turkey, an Extra Full may be in order.

My favorite choke for most things, though is Light Mod. It falls between IC and Mod, of course. Actual constriction runs about .015". The one I have, in the barrels I use it in, runs .016.

Constrictions are often given in Points, one Point Of Contriction being .001.

Besides Remchokes, I have after market chokes here by Briley, Carlson, and Angle Port. Prices vary, but quality is top notch on these.

As with all shotgun undertakings, a visit to Mr Pattern Board will aid you greatly.

A rough guide, and understand you need to test and see what YOUR choke,barrel and load will do is.....

Skeet, use a Skeet choke of course. Usually around 0-5 POC. Some skeet tubes, including Remington's actually are LARGER than bore diameter, or negative choke.

Dove, usually LM or Mod. 15-20 POC.

Waterfowl, I use LM to IM, 15-25 POC though that's tighter than needed for stuff over decoys.

Full or Extra Full. 40 POC up.....

HTH....
Old November 23, 2009, 12:46 AM   #3
cwb

thank you soo much for the info
Old November 23, 2009, 12:58 AM   #4
b.thomas

I use mod, IC, and skeet for my Wingmaster and my 1187 skeet gun. So far have worked well for both hunting and/or targets.
Carlson and tru-choke are good and reasonably priced, but I've never had problems with either of the ones on my guns. The 1187 are factory Rem-chokes and the 870 has Browning Invectors I had installed 25 years ago.
Old November 23, 2009, 01:52 AM   #5
45Dave

Second pattern board

Rem chokes are fine, I get away with IC for 80 percent of clays, skeet and trap now and then. In the field IC or mod for most hunting, rabbits and grouse, extra full for turkey.
Just wanted to put a second vote to get to the patterning board, I took a friend out to pattern his new gun (several years ago) and we found one of his choke tube to be shooting a full two feet low. He complained to the manufacture and received a new choke tube, again we patterned the gun with the new tube, right on. I have never seen this happen before or since but it really confirmed, check your point of impact with every tube.